One night post cruise hotel - Papeete or Moorea

cobalt206

We will be taking our first trip to Tahiti in October on a ten day Princess cruise. We want to spend one night in an overwater bungalow before flying home and we actually will have almost two full days since the ship disembarks very early and the flight home leaves near midnight the next day. I have already booked an overwater bungalow at the Tahiti la Ora Beach (Sofitel) on Papeete. This seems like a good spot and obviously would be very simple getting there and then to the airport. The cost is about $800 so similar to the overwater bungalows on Moorea. So I’m looking for opinions regarding changing our reservation to either the Hilton Moorea or Sofitel Moorea which both seem to have excellent reviews. Is it worthwhile to schlep luggage on the ferry to Moorea and also going back to airport the next day earlier (last ferry around 6pm) rather than staying in Papeete hotel right up until the time to head to the airport?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Edited by cobalt206
Grammar

In February 2019 we stayed pre and post cruise at the Intercontinental Tahiti.  Two of the four nights were in an overwater bungalow.  The bungalow was lovely and they had just been refurbished.  We included breakfast except for the last night (we would have missed breakfast as our Delta flight left at 8:30AM) which was very good.  Be prepared for slow food service in the restaurant - I think this is a cultural thing.  We had room service for dinner one night and ate on our overwater bungalow deck - really enjoyed it.  The snorkeling from our deck was really good.  They also have a lagoonarium with lots of fish.  We enjoyed snorkeling there also.

Just a side note: We had priced pearls at the IC before our cruise.  Then on the cruise we looked at pearls in all the ports.  I ended up waiting until we were back at the IC because they actually had the best pricing.

Before and after being able to be in your room the IC has great shower/changing rooms so you can continue to use the facilities and then get ready for your flight.

On our last night I booked the cheapest regular room and moved from the overwater bungalow.  The IC upgraded us to a panoramic view which was also very nice.

What Pacific Princess October date are you sailing?  We are on the 15th.

Thank you for the replies. Looks like staying on Tahiti is the best choice for convenience.

Heartfelt, you seem to like the IC but do you have any insight on the Tahiti la Oro Beach? I guess this used to be a Le Meridien property. I'm also concerned that we might not be able to swim from the over water bungalow as there is a lot of coral in the shallow waters below. Anyone able to confirm this? 

Yes, we are on the same sailing October 15th with  several other couples from Seattle. Look forward to meeting you onboard!

Hi Cobalt,

Stayed at Tahiti Ia Ora four years ago when it was Le Meridian. It was very nice then but a little dated. Great location and overwater bungalows are nice, view was exceptional, beautiful pool and grounds. Great breakfast. But this again was four years ago and don't know how much things have changed- the overwater bungalows may be updated by now. I'd check Tripadvisor and compare to the IC. Stayed at the IC in a regular room 15 years ago and didn't like the setting except for the pool. I think Heartfelt's experience was far better and things have changed considerably certainly since we stayed there- she says the snorkeling was good which would be HUGE for me. I doubt you could go wrong with either.

But.....if you have almost two full days I'd go for broke and take the ferry to Moorea and stay at the Hilton. Gorgeous setting. The overwater bungalows are incredible and snorkeling, pool are the best on Moorea. It's probably considerably more $ than your choices on Tahiti but if you're going for a blowout experience this is it.

16 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Hi Cobalt,

Stayed at Tahiti Ia Ora four years ago when it was Le Meridian. It was very nice then but a little dated. Great location and overwater bungalows are nice, view was exceptional, beautiful pool and grounds. Great breakfast. But this again was four years ago and don't know how much things have changed- the overwater bungalows may be updated by now. I'd check Tripadvisor and compare to the IC. Stayed at the IC in a regular room 15 years ago and didn't like the setting except for the pool. I think Heartfelt's experience was far better and things have changed considerably certainly since we stayed there- she says the snorkeling was good which would be HUGE for me. I doubt you could go wrong with either.

But.....if you have almost two full days I'd go for broke and take the ferry to Moorea and stay at the Hilton. Gorgeous setting. The overwater bungalows are incredible and snorkeling, pool are the best on Moorea. It's probably considerably more $ than your choices on Tahiti but if you're going for a blowout experience this is it.

Thanks you for the fair comparison. I've checked Trip Advisor and I think both choices would be nice. The overwater bungalow at Hilton Moorea is about the same price as staying on Tahiti plus I'm a Hilton Honors Diamond which would be worthwhile for late check out and other perks. I really want to keep the travel arrangements simple, otherwise the Hilton Moorea would be an easy choice. Tempting ....

Really depends on when your flight is out. If early evening I'd go for it! We did a day stay there last winter. Took 8am ferry, arrived at the Hilton about 10am, and left the hotel about 2pm to catch the ferry. Short visit and it was still delightful. The ferry can be dicey though mind you, sometimes early sometimes late.

But then again may be too much fussing with luggage etc. Probably easier to do one of the other two.

Bon voyage!