Regal Princess Deck comparison

jamesnnb

Has anyone have an opinion regarding a comparison of the motion on Deck 9 vs (say) Deck 15 on the Regal?  I realize the seas actually control the motion 🙂 but all things being equal (like sailing north out of Seattle towards Alaska where that first day usually experiences rougher seas) do you feel a lot more motion on Deck 15 vs Deck 9 -- mid-ship?  I don't normally experience seasickness but have felt 'something' when sailing north out of Seattle and wondered if that feeling would be the same if on Deck 9 (which we normally book) or if it would be the same on Deck 15.  

7 minutes ago, jamesnnb said:

Has anyone have an opinion regarding a comparison of the motion on Deck 9 vs (say) Deck 15 on the Regal?  I realize the seas actually control the motion 🙂 but all things being equal (like sailing north out of Seattle towards Alaska where that first day usually experiences rougher seas) do you feel a lot more motion on Deck 15 vs Deck 9 -- mid-ship?  I don't normally experience seasickness but have felt 'something' when sailing north out of Seattle and wondered if that feeling would be the same if on Deck 9 (which we normally book) or if it would be the same on Deck 15.  

My wife is very susceptible to all types of motion sickness & we have sailed many days on the Royal/Regal/Sky.  She also greatly prefers a midship location on lower decks however she enjoys hours midship on Lido deck (16) so a Marina (15) deck cabin should be the same experience.  Maybe slightly more motion on deck 15 vs 9 but it was no problem for her.  Recently on the Sky (Med/TA) in a midship Caribe (10) deck interior cabin we had a smoother experience in choppy seas than in other locations we walked fore & aft.

2 hours ago, jamesnnb said:

Thank you, Astro Flyer.  That helps me a lot -- I follow just what you are saying.

You’re welcome & hope it works great for you. 🙂

After dozens of Princess cruises we received our first free upgrade on the Royal this Spring. We discussed both options & decided to accept a mid-aft mini suite on Marina (15) under the forward portion of the Horizon Bistro seating area instead of our midship Emerald (8) deck deluxe balcony with a larger balcony.

She always has meclizine available when necessary & even crossing the notoriously rough Tasman Sea (had 20’-25’ seas & nearly hurricane force winds) she did okay.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I would stay away from forward. We were in D104 (inside and ALL the way forward) on the 

Golden and weathered 12' swells. We were really "porpoising". We now always book aft balconies

as they are our favorite and have not noticed anything but do not recall if we have gone through

similar storms.

nini:  I have stayed away from forward since 1995!  We sailed on the SS Fair Princess and had a HUGE cabin (use to be a suite when she sailed for another line) all the way forward and facing the bow. No side windows nor balcony -- just windows facing the bow.  There was a step up to the bed area, large bathroom and a grand living area.  Thought we were something.  Cabin C104. 10-day cruise LA down to Mexico.  All was fine till we headed north out of Cabo where the seas were getting rough.  Boy, oh boy.  I wasn't the only one (and The Captain had to cut the speed way back) but I was so sick all the next day and night heading back to LA.  Once back we cancelled a booked cruise on her for Sept 1995!!  It was our 5th cruise (first 3 were on Royal Viking cruise line and #4 was on the Royal Princess in 1993).  We just took #39 cruise on the Royal Princess -- the Royal in 1993 was just 44,000 tons while the 2019 Royal is 142,229!  Where were the stabilizers when I needed them??  lol  Still love cruising.

I can get sick on a winding road if I'm not the driver - especially in a rear seat. I wear the dorky looking patch behind my ear and am able to sail. Without it I would likely be incapacitated most days. A tender ride (especially on a slightly rough day) would be devastating. I'll put up with the occasional, "What's that thing behind your ear?" question to be able to sail. Having said that, we've sailed all the way forward on upper decks without an issue and have gone through weather that closed all the outer decks and sent many of the "iron stomach" folks to their cabins to lie down. I had no issues at all. It's likely not for everyone but I highly endorse the patch.

Thrak:  I've got to be the driver, too.  No back seat for me!  I've never tried  the ear patch but do well with the newer, larger ships. Can't remember when I last felt something.  Perhaps I'm maturing lol ... 71 yo.  39 cruises under my belt.