Free coffee & water

cruiselover19811981

On 1/6/2020 at 5:18 AM, ready2cruzagain said:

Not sure where you are sailing to but if going to the Caribbean then I can answer.  Coffee on the Seaside and the Divina was better than any cruise line we have ever been on.  Not bitter like other cruise lines (NCL, Carnival, Princess and Celebrity). 

In the Caribbean you can get all the tap water you want, just ask for a glass of ice water. 

Do they offer real cream or half-and-half, or those horrible little plastic containers of wanna be creams?

I recall that the ship does NOT offer those little plastic creamers but puts out containers that are not well labeled. For example, I use skim milk but the milk was only labeled "milk."  No cartons.  So, I doubt you can be certain if you are getting real cream or half and half.  You get what you get.

Everyone in the MDR can have bottled water.  It is just included in the cruise price for some markets and others are allowed to purchase it if they want.  I don't think anyone is asked where they are from, the waiters can easily see what conditions you booked under by looking at your cruise card.

12 hours ago, Até said:

Everyone in the MDR can have bottled water.  It is just included in the cruise price for some markets and others are allowed to purchase it if they want.  I don't think anyone is asked where they are from, the waiters can easily see what conditions you booked under by looking at your cruise card.

If one is sailing on the Mera from Miami and has the Easy Package, is bottled water included in the MDR, buffet and ALL bars? 

(Y'all realize that this crap shouldn't be this complicated,  right? )

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

If one is sailing on the Mera from Miami and has the Easy Package, is bottled water included in the MDR, buffet and ALL bars? 

(Y'all realize that this crap shouldn't be this complicated,  right? )

Seriously! I’m going on the Grandiosa in April and all this confusion over how, when, where, and for how much I can get water is putting a damper. I hope I don’t regret giving MSC a try!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

As soon as Meraviglia sailed out of NYC they switched to the US dollar and started serving tap water from pitchers in the MDRs.  US based sailings, including Miami, have had tap water available in the MDR for a few years now.  But if the waiters know you have a drinks package they will usually just bring bottled water.    Tap water has always been in the buffet on all MSC sailings.  You can order bottled from the drinks servers in the buffet included with a drinks package or pay for it if no drinks package.  If you order water at a bar you are likely to get bottled.  I met a lady who had a glass of water thrown in her face after becoming nasty with a bartender demanding tap water because she had no drinks package.  It's not really that complicated except that the Easy package doesn't work in specialty restaurants so you will pay for bottled water there.

😞😞😞

16 minutes ago, Até said:

If you order water at a bar you are likely to get bottled.  I met a lady who had a glass of water thrown in her face after becoming nasty with a bartender demanding tap water because she had no drinks package.  

Are you I saying a bartender threw a glass of water in a passenger's face ??!?? 

Wow.

Edited by jkgourmet

I was at customer service late one night regarding my own problem when she came to the agent next to me and made the complaint.  While I'm sure it is extremely uncommon and was a bad decision I understood the bartenders motive.  I was being polite using the term lady.  I'd bet the bartender was gone at the next port.

On 1/15/2020 at 4:04 PM, Kmkub said:

I'm just shocked that some guests have to pay for water. That's insane. I'd pour mine into one of their  water glasses and ask for a refill. 

Charging for tap water is extremely petty.

Apparently you don't know processing tap water has costs involved.its a bit more involved than dipping a bucket in a stream.i never understood where the mentality of "free" water comes from.i have a well at my house I assure you it was not free .

1 hour ago, scpirate said:

Apparently you don't know processing tap water has costs involved.its a bit more involved than dipping a bucket in a stream.i never understood where the mentality of "free" water comes from.i have a well at my house I assure you it was not free .

Hi

Of course there is nothing that is free, but the reality is that they need to have a very large quantity available all the time, so in fact that "extra" amount whatever it may be, does have a cost that is close to 0. Similar concept for me at home. I have paid the $10,000 to dig the well, put in place the systems to have a final product that is to my liking. Now, thirty years later, it's easy enough for me to think of it as free. 

The motivation to "sell" water is easy to understand.

Just off our 11-day Divina. I was relieved that the bottled water was in glass bottles, not plastic.  The two of us went through 3-4 a day. I can't imagine how many tens of thousands of bottles they bring on ship for each cruise.

On 1/21/2020 at 8:28 PM, scpirate said:

I understand that making the water isn't "free," but I'm sure the expense of making sea water potable is less than the cost of buying and lugging all those glass bottles around. If the glass bottles were cheaper, all the cruise lines would be doing that.