A GLORIOUS New Year's Eve cruise. Review of Glory 12/29 sailing

scuba_ninja

23 hours ago, scuba_ninja said:

The mini-sub expedition was fantastic. I don't know that I need to do it more than once, but what a great thing to do! So much fun. The guides were great. We didn't see a ton of fish, but I still had a blast. It is like a moped with a propeller and a bubble on top. Mine was super slow sadly but I still had a great time. It helped me feel less sad that I didn't get to dive on this trip. 

I felt safe the entire time. Good briefing. 

P1032818.thumb.jpg.d88affd9835cb85aa79b3acaa3f8566b.jpg

P1032821.thumb.jpg.120ced11fff1c9cafae33cee946a1571.jpg

P1032841.thumb.jpg.957d4981b7f005fc0e3f06109672e95d.jpg

P1032859.thumb.jpg.cd78607a2a1d8f47b8fc238203935847.jpg

P1032993.thumb.jpg.c67e096e6db2336308493709b5e8179c.jpg

P1033135.thumb.jpg.274cbc55ecd3187a94996475f41bfa87.jpg

P1033136.thumb.jpg.916be8f320904928a59464f4c1ad2454.jpg

They let us hang out the rest of the day at the resort too. Really nice beach. We spend a good amount of time there just chillaxin'. 

P1033206.thumb.JPG.634a3262b729462f582ecfefe6e32ec1.JPG

The restaurant there didn't look all that special so we decided to head down back into "town" to try and find a place we went to two years ago called Al Chile. It had Just opened when we were there last, and it was so cheap and so good. Sadly, it has become a lot more expensive but the food is still really good. Yes, the waiters outside are very aggressive about trying to bring you in, but it is really good food. 

Edited by wesorbeth
Did not mean to post

1 hour ago, scuba_ninja said:

Last sea day is the worst. It means I have to go back to real life soon. But. I did do the behind the fun tour at it was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  With some extra !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sadly, no pictures, so I'll just write about it. You have to sign up right away when you first board. It sells out quickly. It cost us $95 a person and was well worth it. You get an amazing 4 hour tour and you also get a few pics. One of the group at the very bow of the ship and one on the ship with the captain. And a hat, lanyard bag thing and a soap carving. 

We saw behind the scenes in the theater, A galley, the bridge, the engine control room, the storage areas, garbage areas, the office of the HR director on the ship (he was the one who led our tour), crew dining/cabins/bar, the laundry areas and i'm sure i"m forgetting something else. Really amazing what you learn. I feel like in order to make diamond level, you should be required to take one of these tours so you can see how the staff really live before you get all cranky and entitled. 

It's amazing how much of a floating city even an older, smaller ship is. The crew, other than the captain were all so happy to answer questions and were clearly passionate about their jobs. The captain was as huggable as a cactus and was completely disinterested in us. Sad really. Even in his announcements though every morning this guy sounded as happy and energetic as a mortician. Maybe it was just our sailings because he's probably under a lot of pressure since the uhhhhh.... incident. 

You learn amazing things like the fact that they make 500 pounds of bacon a day on the ship. And that the crew bar rates are 25¢ for a bottle of wine! I was really happy that the people we met with were so open about their lives and about any question we asked. What a great experience. There is so much that happens behind the scenes on these ships to make sure we all have a great vacation. The tour is fairly active and NOT handicapped accessible. But man, if you can do it, DO IT! No part of the tour was boring and I gained a real appreciation for what happens every day. If anything, I feel like this makes me want to give a lot more in tips. And I did. I gave my room steward a little extra and I gave some to a few fun squad folks who rocked. 

I used to work on big science vessels so seeing how this one operated was cool for me. I loved seeing the engine control room and talking to the engineers about the water makers and some other neat stuff on the ship. The folks who work in these positions are no dummies. 

Totally agree about the behind the fun tour.  We did it on the Dream last year for first time and yes...it was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!  Fortunately for us, our ships (boats 😜) Captain was very friendly and took a bunch of pictures both groups and individually with us.  We definitely feel the same way about tipping.  These people work their butts off so we can have a great vacation while they are half a world away from family.  We tip our waiters in MDR, room steward, bar tenders etc. Tipping is the main reason we bring actual cash on board.  What we have leftover goes towards port of call T-Shirts, etc.  

Great review of your vacation and we are looking forward to our Glory trip next month.  I wish we were making a stop in Grand Cayman because I would totally get your better half the shirt she missed out. 

• Thanks 1

We were on the Victory in November.  I was talking to a manager of the buffet and mentioned my love of Filipino food and how I wish the diversity of the crew was reflected in the menu.  He offered to have adobo cooked for us for the next night in the MDR.  I told him no thanks because the last time I did that on a cruise, I got the non-Filipino executive chef's recipe for adobo.  I really like home cooked Filipino food that is not been "fancied up".  He laughed and said he would get one of the Filipino galley staff to make it with his family recipe.  The manager said the Filipino galley staff would be proud to cook something on his own since he is normally doing prep work.

The next night we got to the dining room and our waiter immediately came to our table.  He told us the Filipino galley person worked on our dish during the afternoon and he cooked it the way his mother taught him.  When we got the dish, I asked where the cook was from in the Philippines.  Our waiter asked and he said near Manila.  I knew that because the pork adobo is dry.  As you get further south in the Philippines, there is more brine/gravy in the adobo.

Here is what we got.... and I agree... ask!!  We made the cook's day because he got to cook instead of chop veggies all day.  

Adobo.jpg

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, SERK said:

Totally agree about the behind the fun tour.  We did it on the Dream last year for first time and yes...it was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!  Fortunately for us, our ships (boats 😜) Captain was very friendly and took a bunch of pictures both groups and individually with us.  We definitely feel the same way about tipping.  These people work their butts off so we can have a great vacation while they are half a world away from family.  We tip our waiters in MDR, room steward, bar tenders etc. Tipping is the main reason we bring actual cash on board.  What we have leftover goes towards port of call T-Shirts, etc.  

Great review of your vacation and we are looking forward to our Glory trip next month.  I wish we were making a stop in Grand Cayman because I would totally get your better half the shirt she missed out. 

Thanks so much! Glad you're enjoying the review! And your shirt offer is super heart warming!

Thank you for one of the best reviews written on these boards. Love the pictures.

On your next cruise you might want to give Guy's BBQ a try. Not like you have to pay for it.
Not sure about the liquid smoke stuff but the meats were outstanding. I did not think this was a chemical taste...but whatever. The sides were worth the trip even if you do not get any meat.

Thought it was the best food on Carnival.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mexicobob said:

Thank you for one of the best reviews written on these boards. Love the pictures.

On your next cruise you might want to give Guy's BBQ a try. Not like you have to pay for it.
Not sure about the liquid smoke stuff but the meats were outstanding. I did not think this was a chemical taste...but whatever. The sides were worth the trip even if you do not get any meat.

Thought it was the best food on Carnival.

Thanks for that compliment!!!

I tried it on the Dream two years ago. I was honestly not a fan. But it could have been that sailing, crew, etc. I would give it another shot. 

OK, as promised....

NOLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's just start off by saying New Orleans is spectacular and I could move there. Yes, I know "but you're only there on vacation" blah blah blah. Sometimes, you just get a feeling about a place. NOLA could be my forever home. 

Let's dispel a few myths too. 

1) It's not a drunken sloppy party city. Even during Mardi Gras. There's a TON of family friendly parts to the parade. You just see on TV what sells ratings and seedy DVDs. 

2) It is still in Shambles from the Hurricane. Is it 100% recovered yet? No. But would you really even know? No, probably not. 

3) A snowball is the same as a snow cone. Not even close. A real snowball is fluffy like the clouds the angels sit on and covered in delectable magic. You need to get it with the condensed cream too. I could eat 50 in a row. In the middle of winter. 

I've got hundreds of NOLA pics, but I promise I won't post 'm all. Just some major highlights. If I repeat any from earlier... deal. I'm way too lazy to scroll back 6 pages. 

First up, we have an awesome combination tattoo parlour and law office. I'm sure they do both amazingly well. Maybe I can get my will inked onto my butt. 

IMG_20191226_090711.thumb.jpg.781990078da2b38bda153026a6de8485.jpg

Even the bus and trolley lines got all festive for the holiday. 

IMG_20191226_101707.thumb.jpg.0c97197a7d18b4e4aa8cbb7f7cfe342c.jpg

IMG_20191226_101717.thumb.jpg.858a5a0bed42b2834b3975cfef45e989.jpg

IMG_20191226_090759.thumb.jpg.a2a79a17b1cebe3d73258807411a32c2.jpg

And here we have the pothole in its natural habitat. Traffic cone for scale. It's not impossible that this damage is still there from Katrina. You still see things like this around the city that were just... never fixed. 

IMG_20191226_092412.thumb.jpg.bf9c14e4d6934364bc1af516bf261715.jpg

I mean, the name of this restaurant is perfect. It is on St. Charles, so it gets covered in beads every year when they throw them into the crowds. Pro tip, this far uptown, the parades are still crowded, but far, far more family friendly. IMG_20191226_092050.thumb.jpg.77a8cf9594ded2ad51b671affdc7b6e8.jpg

Awesome t-shirt. I regret not buying it. 

IMG_20191226_104643.thumb.jpg.49981653cd75bf841dd0e899f29f6f48.jpg

• Like 3

If you go to NOLA and don't go to Ruby Slipper for breakfast, I can only assume you have mental problems. 

IMG_20191226_111618.thumb.jpg.e76db71b1dd1ad0da7fc29147b201a7f.jpg

Here we see the benedict flight and some candy bacon. Both I regret sharing with my wife. Also, get the banana foster cocktail. It is warm! Amazing! And (Insert long string of cuss words here) delicious. And I don't even drink. And I want to live in a bathtub filled with that stuff. Spectacular. 

Every inch of the French quarter is special and beautiful. 

IMG_20191226_114452.thumb.jpg.c5bc1775a350b6acdcf1063d24d66f3d.jpg

Jackson square is just... beautiful. IMG_20191226_121323.thumb.jpg.3cc901e549ed186ec2ac925e28b58086.jpg

IMG_20191226_121432.thumb.jpg.c35eea8fa558a89d6c5416caf5774fec.jpg

Great shops all around the square too. Everything is really tasteful, and some great places to get unique goodies to take home. The St. Louis Cathedral is also the oldest in the US. A really special place. 

IMG_20191226_121732.thumb.jpg.b0468f491a2dd131928c7fcdcef86409.jpg]

IMG_20191226_120844.thumb.jpg.39912b5889cb1dca82842502f76ff511.jpg

Also, I'm pretty sure it is the only cathedral in the word that has someone dressed like the devil outside of it reading tarot cards.

IMG_20191226_121641.thumb.jpg.81513eb65c0848a117a551b13a651eb1.jpg

MVIMG_20191226_121632.jpg

MVIMG_20191226_121626.jpg

• Like 4

Great review of the French Quarter s_n! We spent 3, 4th of July weeks running down there, staying in French Quarter hotels. Love it, love it love it. Mainly touring the Plantations up and down the River on the old road. Of course exploring the French Quarter is a treat that takes many days to fully appreciate the history of New Orleans. Well done! 👍

• Like 1

Thanks for the review, I really got a feel for the cruise and the boat (😉).  We are sailing in June on the Glory and this makes me really look forward to it even more.  I am a bit cautiously optimistic about sailing on Carnival for the first time (only booked as we are going with a large group of like minded people), and this helped ease me! Fortunately, the wife and I tend to have fun no matter the circumstances!   

Edited by lawgeek
  • Thanks 1

Thoroughly enjoyed your review of the Glory & itinerary. Thank you!

NOLA easy to enjoy; rich in history & unique culture. Planning a solo cruise on Glory end of this year, beginning of 2021... or sooner *wink*

p.s. I’d even sail on a garbage scow if it meant being out on Mother Ocean again. Doubt any cruise ships are that caliber.

• Like 1

Currently in NOLA for our cruise this Sunday and because of your review, we will be eating breakfast at the Ruby Slipper this morning. We were shocked last night, though, as how expensive the restaurants were here! Any advice for a woman who does love all foods and one picky beef eating man? Lol!

On 1/27/2020 at 3:52 PM, scuba_ninja said:

Every inch of the French quarter is special and beautiful. 

(truncated)

Jackson square is just... 

Great shops all around the square too. Everything is really tasteful, and some great places to get unique goodies to take home. The St. Louis Cathedral is also the oldest in the US. A really special place.

I couldn't agree more.  It seems like in most US cities, especially those outside the East Coast and the Rust Belt, historic sites are something you visit tourist-style, and many locals seldom, if ever, spend time there.  That is, there's a historic downtown or a district, and you go there to see it, while the rest of the city is a modern, bland sea of chains and parking lots.  But in New Orleans, the city is the history, the history is the city.  It's an inherent part of the city's fabric.  Without history, it wouldn't be New Orleans; it would be Blandsville, Louisiana.

On 1/31/2020 at 7:32 AM, grandmarnnurse said:

Currently in NOLA for our cruise this Sunday and because of your review, we will be eating breakfast at the Ruby Slipper this morning. We were shocked last night, though, as how expensive the restaurants were here! Any advice for a woman who does love all foods and one picky beef eating man? Lol!

I went to New Orleans several years ago.  It's not a cheap place.  Although, we stuck to touristy areas, since the city's safety reputation is kind of iffy.  We ate most of our meals at the French Market, since it was warm enough to eat outside, despite it being December.  We also got snacks and beer at convenience stores.  It was cheaper than restaurants, but not as cheap as, say, McDonald's or cooking your own meals.  All in all, we spent $40 per person per day on food.  Given the huge selection at the French Market, that's where I'd suggest for you and your husband to eat.  You can get crawfish ettouffe (sp?) over rice, and your husband can get a roast beef sandwich.

Speaking of sandwiches, do try a muffaletta.  It's deli meats with an oily, vinegary olive salad, on a flattened crusty bun.  That's something all but the pickiest eaters can enjoy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

I couldn't agree more.  It seems like in most US cities, especially those outside the East Coast and the Rust Belt, historic sites are something you visit tourist-style, and many locals seldom, if ever, spend time there.  That is, there's a historic downtown or a district, and you go there to see it, while the rest of the city is a modern, bland sea of chains and parking lots.  But in New Orleans, the city is the history, the history is the city.  It's an inherent part of the city's fabric.  Without history, it wouldn't be New Orleans; it would be Blandsville, Louisiana.

I went to New Orleans several years ago.  It's not a cheap place.  Although, we stuck to touristy areas, since the city's safety reputation is kind of iffy.  We ate most of our meals at the French Market, since it was warm enough to eat outside, despite it being December.  We also got snacks and beer at convenience stores.  It was cheaper than restaurants, but not as cheap as, say, McDonald's or cooking your own meals.  All in all, we spent $40 per person per day on food.  Given the huge selection at the French Market, that's where I'd suggest for you and your husband to eat.  You can get crawfish ettouffe (sp?) over rice, and your husband can get a roast beef sandwich.

Speaking of sandwiches, do try a muffaletta.  It's deli meats with an oily, vinegary olive salad, on a flattened crusty bun.  That's something all but the pickiest eaters can enjoy.

We did go to the French Market yesterday. He had a Muffaletta, but didn’t care for the olive mixture on it. Looked pretty good to me!

• Like 2

On 1/16/2020 at 3:49 PM, scuba_ninja said:

Jamaica Mon! Happy New Year Mon! Want some pot?

That basically summarized Jamaica. But I feel like some of your like details and pictures, so here goes. But before I begin, here's a picture of what I believe to be a frigate bird that was following the ship the day before. He was diving down and catching fish the ship's wake displaced. Pro tip, watch the ocean. You'll be amazed what to actually see off the ship that so many people will miss because it's noon and they're already on drink 15 of the drink package. 

PC310944.jpg.a8155256ceb2b5d10a445d96a37fa3e5.jpg

Jamaica was New Year's Day. YAY.

The room stewards had some nice towel animals on their carts today.

IMG_20200101_093636.thumb.jpg.990b6843ff8d35ee47d415cdbad57b1f.jpg

IMG_20200101_093510.thumb.jpg.d0d0091837ae59630486a2f8431cbebd.jpg

There was one carved watermelon at the buffet. I was surprised in general how little carving there was of fruit on the ship. On the dream 2 years ago it was everywhere, on Glory, maybe one or two a day on the buffet line. I didn't really eat at the buffet much, but I'd pass by hoping to see a carving. Or snag some Mortadella. mmmmmm... mortadella. We did hit up lido for breakfast that day. Meh. The eggs looked gross and we didn't get any. We got some chocolate muffins instead, which were actually really good. And I got a sausage, because... sausage. 

P1011277.thumb.JPG.361ed34e5cb70e617ba67abd708020c9.JPG

IMG_20200101_090610.thumb.jpg.9a8917abe0ba1504a166204c6d0c2abb.jpg

Pulling into port was uneventful There were some neat ships in the harbor though. 

P1011272.thumb.JPG.6154acb39cef89c5e89321748cfdcd41.JPG

P1011275.thumb.JPG.db4516ca0138fd6b43e3bbf5fc530d66.JPG

P1011276.thumb.JPG.0d1f6a8dfed654df1cc3f04cb1f48ad9.JPG

P1011274.thumb.JPG.595c8067640b69b404d2f4c5ff52a871.JPG

Originally we had booked the Croydon Plantation tour. Without warning, and with no explanation Carnival cancelled our expedition a few months ago. We got a prompt refund, but it was weird to have no reason. Even the email was blank. It said "we had to cancel because " and then nothing after it. Who knows why the cancelled, but it looks like that excursion is completely gone from the Carnival site, and a few other shore excursion sites. Maybe tourists were getting eaten by ghosts or something. 

Everything else in Jamaica was either really expensive zip lines, or really really expensive beaches. We opted for a more low cost option and decided to try the hop on/hop off bus. Not worth it. I didn't see a lot of info about it on these boards, and even when I asked, people didn't have much info, so here's what I can tell you. 

IMG_20200101_104421.thumb.jpg.e47cfb8868bbba845fd9f704eede5804.jpg

First off. Pay no attention to that sign. Well, maybe a little. I'm sure getting caught bringing drugs onto the ship is bad. Which reminds me. First day on the ship, someone was CLEARLY smoking pot somewhere near my cabin. It only happened that one time as we first walked up to our cabins. Maybe that person wised up/used up their supply/got kicked off. Who knows.

Anyway, back to Jamaica. They sure as hell don't give a flying Bob Marley about you doing enough drugs to make Willie Nelson look like an amateur. I don't do any drugs, I don't really even drink. I grew up in a very strict teetotaler home. I don't have any issues with people who indulge, I just never got a taste for that stuff. Personally, I actually think pot is less of a nuisance than alcohol. I don't see a lot of pot heads getting crazy and trying to fight someone in the hot tub because they think you looked at their girlfriend funny. Pot heads are just more likely to make the lido buffet crowded. That being said, it is pretty obnoxious when people are constantly trying to push drugs on you, then trying to make you feel bad for not doing drugs. ***** Jamaica?

The HOHO bus stand is right inside the terminal as you get off the ship. The terminal is super bare and boring. It is literally an empty warehouse. 

IMG_20200101_104439.thumb.jpg.f4810c96c351eb59fbd4aa72a13ba9d3.jpg

If you can't read the sign, the bus stops at Rose Hall, Doctor's Cave Beach, Margaritaville, and then Montegeo bay craft market. 

The buss is $25 per person and they only take payment using S&S card. It's not worth it. Take a Taxi to Dr's cave beach and call it a day. 

Rose Hall shopping is pretty crummy. I'm not going to say that my wife didn't buy anything there, she did. And it wasn't a terrible "deal" that the guy made, but the shops are overly pushy and EVERYONE TRIES TO SELL YOU POT. Also, people who help you in the stores demanded tips. Look, Jamaica, like most islands ships visit is economically depressed. But Jamaica was the only place I've ever been where they were just... rude about it. Everything was a pushy money grab. It was a very slow day in port with only one ship. So I'm sure they were a little extra that day, but c'mon. Like I said, my wife bought a little sparkly thing that was marked $275 and got a deal on it for $35. I'm sure it's actually worth $10, but whatever, she likes it, it made her happy. She didn't pay $275. 

The shops were not particularly nice. The bathroom there was OK at least. They are the furthest stop from the port, and also the bus' first stop. After traffic and everything, we ended up wasting a lot of time getting there, and shopping. Next time I'll skip Rose Hall if I ever go back. 

Here's the best pics I took at Rose Hall. Yes, the plants were the most interesting part. 

IMG_20200101_123548.thumb.jpg.26ea1a2f25e0da55fc7ff733e13fd786.jpg

IMG_20200101_122935.thumb.jpg.451062f31052a212796ff9665e936e35.jpg

IMG_20200101_114904.thumb.jpg.a31d33a99bcbfca1d17499b53cbd256d.jpg

P1011279.thumb.JPG.8058f013a20b0080e84f651eb5a714f1.JPG

P1011278.thumb.JPG.a5f3e2563ed3c41d7a694656edd361ad.JPG

Ok, Fine, maybe the naughty pot paraphernalia was the best part. 

IMG_20200101_120648.thumb.jpg.82faea0c0a8d71e09adbadff6bcbe2a1.jpg

Like I said, I didn't really enjoy this stop. I did pick up some Jerk seasoning as gifts here because it was cheap, but I feel like I could have gotten the same thing cheaper on the "hip strip". 

Ha! That’s my family in your photo of the “Hop On Hop Off” bus line ....this backside view of myself is encouraging me to get my butt to the gym 😂