Christmas on the Indy cancelled

Got up on the morning to see a couple of hundred passengers including lots of children wearing pyjamas on the Promenade

Santa walked through with four brass instrument players

It was pitiful

We then learned that our trip to Grand Cayman was cancelled. Too choppy apparently. It happens and we were unlucky, but we were looking forward to our Cabana on the beach. 

The entertainments team added some extra events to the programme, but it was just the normal stuff. Nothing particularly Christmassy

The most important event of the day though (we had never done a Christmas cruise before, so little did we know) Christmas Dinner

It was just a day three dinner from any cruise

No turkey

Christmas Day and no turkey

We could have apparently paid a hundred bucks for a fancy dinner in the paid for restuarants

But I repeat, no Christmas dinner

We did learn that turkey and mash was an option on Christmas eve, but we were in Chops and a standard day two turkey dinner is not remotely comparable

Staff wore Christmas hats and carols were piped through the sound system, but given the experience we learned friends enjoyed on P&O and Celebrity cruises, I can safely say we won;t be cruising with Royal over Christmas again

Haven’t done a Christmas cruise, but I wouldn’t expect turkey.  Thanksgiving is when Americans eat turkey!  More likely to get beef/ham or in US.  

By the way, I am British by birth - my family eats turkey, Yorkshire pudding, Christmas cake and Christmas pudding !

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Haven’t done a Christmas cruise, but I wouldn’t expect turkey.  Thanksgiving is when Americans eat turkey!  More likely to get beef/ham or in US.  

By the way, I am British by birth - my family eats turkey, Yorkshire pudding, Christmas cake and Christmas pudding !

Didn't Ebenezer Scrooge gift a turkey at the end of A Christmas Carol

We do standing rib roast for Christmas 

20200106_143659.thumb.jpg.c76dcf77248f710ffedeb1c1526ac0e3.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, compman9 said:

Got up on the morning to see a couple of hundred passengers including lots of children wearing pyjamas on the Promenade

It was pitiful

We then learned that our trip to Grand Cayman was cancelled. Too choppy apparently. It happens and we were unlucky, but we were looking forward to our Cabana on the beach. 

The entertainments team added some extra events to the programme, but it was just the normal stuff. Nothing particularly Christmassy

The most important event of the day though (we had never done a Christmas cruise before, so little did we know) Christmas Dinner

No turkey

We could have apparently paid a hundred bucks for a fancy dinner in the paid for restuarants

We did learn that turkey and mash was an option on Christmas eve, but we were in Chops and a standard day two turkey dinner is not remotely comparable

Staff wore Christmas hats and carols were piped through the sound system, but given the experience we learned friends enjoyed on P&O and Celebrity cruises, I can safely say we won;t be cruising with Royal over Christmas again

We and most of our friends and family do beef tenderloin or rib roasts on Christmas. Thanksgiving is too close for Turkey again. 

As an American, it is beef or ham but sometimes it is spaghetti from Walgreens. Long story on that one, but in short we were on vacation in Florida for Christmas and we thought we would be able to find a place for Christmas dinner (wrong) then we thought we could find a grocery store open on Christmas Day when we realized that the restaurant wasn't going to happen (wrong again!). The only place open was Walgreen's and the best we could do was spaghetti. We had 4 little kids with us. Our vacation wasn't ruined. We now just laugh about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Our Christmas feast is traditionally roast beef and Yorkshire. Everyone who marries in becomes British for that meal. 

Then we sing Christmas carols in English, Latin, and German. 

So the newcomers have to learn to sing in German. 

Christmas on a cruise ship would be wonderful with a Christmas feast and then singing all the wonderful carols and songs. 

Here’s a thought

In celebrating over sixty Christmases, I can recall turkey,ham,roast beef, and duck (yes,duck) being served for Christmas Day dinners.

But, what I have come to realize is this....

It is not what is served  on the table that is most important, but those sitting around the table that counts the most.. 

To all reading this thread, I hope you were able to enjoy Christmas,Hanukkah or Kwanza with those important people in your life,sharing a holiday meal.

Good wishes to all for 2020!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I certainly hope you were able to enjoy your cruise regardless, but I'll also echo my surprise at turkey for Christmas. Growing up for us it was usually ham or roast beef; I married into a Puerto Rican family so now it's pernil (roast pork shoulder). 

33 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

You might want to Google that 😉🦃

I did.  I'm certainly not that literate. 

But it appears it depends on where google sends you. Here's the reference I found. But you're right, I miss read it.. Oh well, no harm,  no "fowl."  😂

https://blog.oup.com/2012/12/cratchits-dinner-christmas-carol/

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, compman9 said:

It was pitiful

No turkey

I understand your frustration! 😞 Did Santa hand out candy canes??  I'm like you and would expect something big for a Christmas cruise especially since they are a heck of a lot more expensive.  I would of hope you would of got a huge spread in MDR?  I did read somewhere Christmas dinner was served Eve which is strange..........  How were the decorations?  Tree?

9 hours ago, kruzerci said:

We and most of our friends and family do beef tenderloin or rib roasts on Christmas. Thanksgiving is too close for Turkey again. 

The same here.  Turkey at Thanksgiving, Prime Rib Roast on Christmas