Christmas on the Indy cancelled

Never done a Christmas cruise but I too would have expected a special meal on Christmas day. In the UK most people have turkey with all the trimmings but even those that have something else would still make the meal a big event. I hadn't thought about it before but from the replies on this thread I'm guessing it's not so important in the US. 

I've seen threads about Thanksgiving and know that the ships have a special menu,  imagine if they did nothing, that's what no Christmas dinner would mean to most Brits.

• Like 2

We were on Brilliance for Christmas this year and they had an awesome special Christmas menu in the MDR (as well as special Christmas menus in the specialty restaurants).  I had turkey with yummy stuffing and sweet potatoes.  They also had beef wellington, which DH had and was the star of the menu that night!  They even brought the turkey back out on the menu the next day.

Sounds like someone on Indy forgot to order the turkey.

Edited by momofmab

16 hours ago, kruzerci said:

We and most of our friends and family do beef tenderloin or rib roasts on Christmas. Thanksgiving is too close for Turkey again. 

I appreciate that all Americans do not have turkey on Christmas day

But America is only one of 196 countries in the world, and there are plenty of Brits on every cruise

Turkey on Christmas Day, especially if there is up to ten options in the Main Dining Room, should absolutely be expected

• Like 1

15 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Why do you expect it?    Never heard of it being a mainstay.

Next year stay home and make turkey.

Lasagna is our family Xmas tradition....

160 countries celebrate Christmas

Turkey is eaten on Christmas Day by a huge proportion of cruise passengers, including Brits, Irish and Canadians

The other cruise lines I am aware of serve turkey on Christmas Day

I am happy to answer any other questions you have, and thank you for telling em what to do next Christmas

• Like 2

14 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Trying to figure out how the cruise ship "cancelled" Christmas 🤔

My point was fully explained in my post - You can read it again if you wish

A waiter wearing a Christmas hat does not make Christmas

• Like 2

5 hours ago, compman9 said:

I appreciate that all Americans do not have turkey on Christmas day

But America is only one of 196 countries in the world, and there are plenty of Brits on every cruise

Turkey on Christmas Day, especially if there is up to ten options in the Main Dining Room, should absolutely be expected

As you stated, America is only one of 196 countries in the world which may be sailing at any particular time.  Those other countries have different religions and may not celebrate Christmas at all.  I think the morning with Santa and a brass band sounded fun and festive.  As for the turkey, I am sorry that you missed out on that.  But Christmas, like any other day, is what you make it and it sounds like you chose to be disappointed and unhappy.  I would love to do a Christmas cruise but cannot afford the prices, so in my opinion you were incredibly lucky just to be on the ship on Christmas.  

3 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

Another way of thinking, you cancelled Christmas yourself. Becoming upset when your exact expectations were not met, instead of being happy to be on a cruise on Christmas (!)

"EXACT"

I was merely hoping for what is generally regarded as Christmas Dinner to be one of the options in the main dining room, just as every other cruise line seems to do

Good grief

1 hour ago, later said:

Hey Christmas Carol doesn’t take place in the US.  Try England.  Thus Turkey.

US beef.

If you Google it, prior to Dickens's Christmas Carol, goose was the common bird. Buying a turkey was considered extravagant.  

45 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

If you Google it, prior to Dickens's Christmas Carol, goose was the common bird. Buying a turkey was considered extravagant.  

Goose, Turkey, pheasant are all the same to me.  But I don’t doubt your info John.

We did a Christmas cruise on Liberty two years ago, and I was likewise disappointed. No special items on the menu, really.

They had a "Christmas Cake" - OMG - it was literally so hard that you couldn't cut it with a knife. As a side note - both the food and service were pretty consistently bad on our cruise - so much so that I started to wonder if they let all the experienced crew take the holiday off?  And as a point of reference, I've been on three non-holiday RCL cruises and had good to great food each time.

Also, the decorations on the ship weren't very exciting.  A couple of trees here and there, but nothing much.  

I guess I was expecting something special to celebrate the holiday - maybe a little music or something at dinner? 

Anyway, based on our experience, we wouldn't do a Christmas cruise with RCL again.

And I think a couple of you might be, maybe, a little harsh in your comments to the OP?  I didn't read anything in the post about them saying their Christmas was entirely ruined - just that they wouldn't do a Christmas cruise on RCL again....

Edited by scotlady
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

You are all wrong.

The traditional Christmas dinner is Chinese food.

😄  😄 😄

I’d think you were joking, but my DGDD spent a Thanksgiving with her boyfriend’s family and their traditional meal is at Ruby Tuesday. 

The boyfriend spent Christmas with us and missed his family’s traditional Chinese restaurant meal. 

So it’s all what each family considers a must have. 

Edited by jagsfan
Can’t remember how to write Darling granddaughter!

14 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

You are all wrong.

The traditional Christmas dinner is Chinese food.

😄  😄 😄

Christmas was a little different for us this year. My daughter had to be back in NC for work on the 26th and her boyfriend was going to his family's house in Orlando so we celebrated on the 23rd (filet mignon for dinner). As a surprise to her I got a ticket on the same flight as her. We flew to NC on the 24th. Since it was only the 2 of us we decided a movie and Chinese food would be our Christmas day activities. The movie went off without a hitch. Then it came time to order the Chinese take-out. We tried 3 places and they were all so busy that none onf them answered their phones. We wound up with Big Mac meals for Christmas dinner. It's not what you eat but who you spend your time with that matters.

On 1/6/2020 at 11:12 AM, compman9 said:

I can safely say we won;t be cruising with Royal over Christmas again

For a traditional English Christmas try Cunard.

Mince pies Christmas pudding Christmas cake Turkey Goose etc etc.  Carols on Christmas Eve. Everyone received a gift from Santa (China cup and saucer)

I sailed over Christmas 2018 Canary Islands and Lisbon.

They have occasional promotions. It was not expensive $600 solo price for 12 days

• Like 1

I'm sorry you didn't have a good Christmas spirited cruise. I thought Oasis did a great job with celebrating Christmas on board. There were many activities including Santa's arrival and gifts for kids, an Ugly Christmas Sweater Party, Christmas caroling, egg nog on the promenade (spiked too) on Christmas Day, reading of Twas the Night Before Christmas, special Christmas menu (ham and turkey were both options), Christmas music piped in, midnight mass on Christmas Eve plus non-denominational service on Christmas Day, card from Housekeeping and a Santa made of towels. I thought Oasis provided many opportunities to celebrate.

I guess everyone has their own tradition but I never have had turkey on Christmas day in my entire life. I will add that I did order the turkey dinner on the last night of our Anthem sailing and it was the only meal that I didn't enjoy the entire 9 days. It was equivalent to a Marie Callender's frozen turkey dinner which I sometimes eat in a pinch for lunch. I should have known better but you really don't know until you try it. Lesson learned.

10 hours ago, compman9 said:

My point was fully explained in my post - You can read it again if you wish

A waiter wearing a Christmas hat does not make Christmas

I didn't realize it was up to the cruise line to "make" Christmas. 

As far as your ridiculous claim of turkey being necessary, you only need to look at the responses in this thread to realize how wrong you are.

Just now, Billy Baltic said:

I’m Irish so traditional Christmas is much the same as the UK (although in Ireland only hotels are open on Christmas Day - no restaurants, bars, takeaways). 
From a US perspective is Thanksgiving a bigger deal?

Not at all, but Thanksgiving is all about Turkey.

Probably why few want it again

• Like 1

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Not at all, but Thanksgiving is all about Turkey.

Probably why few want it again

That I can relate to. Once a year is enough for me. The ‘trimmings’ and Ham make it. 

Op - I can understand your disappointment but I think the gap is between what you expected and reality, rather than what was promised and reality. 

• Like 1