Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
compman9

Christmas on the Indy cancelled

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 1/7/2020 at 12:54 AM, Merion_Mom said:

You are all wrong.

 

The traditional Christmas dinner is Chinese food.

 

😄  😄 😄

Is only place open in my town...and a tradition since Christmas Story

Edited by ONECRUISER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, AC Stew said:

Christmas on the Brilliance was delightful. A lovely, specially written Christmas menu was presented on  a "souvenir" decorative parchment. Yes, you could have  traditional "fully dressed" Christmas dinner. Along with the usual decorations, thoughtful touches were everywhere.

 

One day, it was a massive holiday cake in the Windjammer. On Christmas Eve, there was a large gathering of staff, crew, and guests singing Christmas carols in the centrum. Christmas morning, servers circulated with tasty egg nog (with or without rum), your choice. Santa distributed gifts to the children, accompanied by production staff dancers dressed as elves.

 

Seems to me, the cruise was bursting with holiday spirit. For a turkey dinner that I didn't have to prepare myself, it was definitely good. And it was the same experience last year and the year before! Perhaps, the smaller ships just do it better?

Last 8yrs I've Cruised on Serenade or Brilliance for weeks in Nov/Dec, except one Cruise they have always done the Seasonal thing, inc Deco and Food quite well. Also had Santa every Cruise from Thanksgiving-Xmas

Edited by ONECRUISER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Is only place open in my town...and a tradition since Christmas Story

We were driving home from Flagstaff to Florida, and spent the night of Independence Day east of San Antonio, Tx. July 4 also happens to be my birthday. We set out to look for somewhere to have a really good dinner and we’re very surprised to find no restaurants open. We had no idea restaurants would close for July 4th. 

We finally drove north to New Braunfels and found a Chinese restaurant open. 

We had a wonderful dinner and when the servers found out it was my birthday, they gathered around our table and sang Happy Birthday in Chinese!

it was a lovely evening and proof positive that it’s who you’re with and your attitude that makes the difference!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why posters are saying that Americans do not think Christmas is a big deal just because many did not find it an issue to not have turkey served on Christmas aboard the ship (though it seems it was served on Christmas Eve).  My family has turkey and ham for Christmas every year (and all the trimmings) because there are usually around 20 of us, plus or minus, present.  We do a themed Thanksgiving every year instead of turkey though (Italian one year, Asian another, Latin next year, etc.) just for fun.  Personally, I would not have been bereft if there had not been turkey and ham on my cruise and I would not be on here saying posters are Britcentric/Americacentric, or whatever,  if I did not agree with them either, that is just rude.  As the OP has said, there are persons from nearly two hundred different countries on these ships and I would guess that many of them have turkey, ham, beef, lasagna, fish, etc. for Christmas and many of them likely do not even celebrate Christmas at all.  So Royal is probably trying to cater to the masses, as usual.  I am sorry you were so disappointed and it stinks to not have your expectations met but I do not think that the cruise line canceled Christmas, they just didn't please you.  Big difference.  Apparently each ship handles the holidays differently and I will keep this in mind if I ever decide to take a Christmas cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MandyMooToo said:

Not sure why posters are saying that Americans do not think Christmas is a big deal just because many did not find it an issue to not have turkey served on Christmas aboard the ship (though it seems it was served on Christmas Eve).  My family has turkey and ham for Christmas every year (and all the trimmings) because there are usually around 20 of us, plus or minus, present.  We do a themed Thanksgiving every year instead of turkey though (Italian one year, Asian another, Latin next year, etc.) just for fun.  Personally, I would not have been bereft if there had not been turkey and ham on my cruise and I would not be on here saying posters are Britcentric/Americacentric, or whatever,  if I did not agree with them either, that is just rude.  As the OP has said, there are persons from nearly two hundred different countries on these ships and I would guess that many of them have turkey, ham, beef, lasagna, fish, etc. for Christmas and many of them likely do not even celebrate Christmas at all.  So Royal is probably trying to cater to the masses, as usual.  I am sorry you were so disappointed and it stinks to not have your expectations met but I do not think that the cruise line canceled Christmas, they just didn't please you.  Big difference.  Apparently each ship handles the holidays differently and I will keep this in mind if I ever decide to take a Christmas cruise.

 

Well I disagree with almost all of that

 

It was billed as a Christmas cruise and it did not serve the most widely considered Christmas meal among the many it had on offer - It did however have foods from different cultures available

 

Neither did it feature in any of its speciality restaurants

 

People can try to defend Royal's decision all it likes, but it is not one shared by other ships in its fleet or almost every other cruise line

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We are Brits and have cruised with RCI at Christmas and NY a few times , first time was on Serenade in 2013 though the year before we left the ship on Christmas Eve morning and returned after NY. 
Vision of the seas was the best experience , carolling in the Centrum with officers and guests, all the children sitting on the floor Christmas Eve having ‘Twas the night before Christmas read to them then ‘snow’ falling from the top deck down onto the Centrum, it was truly magical.

If you asked me what we ate for dinner on those cruises I couldn’t tell you, I do recall Christmas Eve seemed more hyped  up than Christmas Day, people wearing red and dressing up, usually formal night falls on Christmas Eve. On Christmas Day the PJs and ugly  jumpers came out in force. After that first experience we ‘invested’ in a Christmas wardrobe , 😆.

 

 

Christmas and NY 2018 we cruised in Asia with Princess on the Sapphire from Singapore to Shanghai, the guests were all mainly from Australia , US and Europe with 700 from Britain !!!  It was the most boring Christmas atmosphere onboard with a handful of guests in the festive mood though we put that behind us and enjoyed ourselves having fun with the other idiots in  ugly jumpers etc. Princess are definitely the worst for a Christmas and NY sailing, they didn’t even give out free champagne for the toast at the midnight strike, luckily I had a bottle of Champagne .

 

Christmas and NY  2019 we went with Marella on the Dream out of Cyprus  , 7 nights cruise , Christmas Eve on the ship and transferred to a hotel on Christmas Day for NY at the Louis Imperial beach . We had the best NY ever , the food in the hotel was amazing and the whole trip was all inclusive. I have to admit the ship did Gala night at the beginning of the cruise and Christmas Eve the food was dire but the hotel made up for it ten fold . 
 

Nothing is ever perfect In life , life would be boring if it were. We love cruising at Christmas and hopefully for 2020 we will be on the high seas but after staying at the post cruise hotel our agenda may change . 
 

The photo of the food was the NY gala buffet desserts at the hotel 
 

A Happy New Year to you and yours .

1BDC2788-8419-44FF-9258-D898E77AFC1B.jpeg

2946DD2E-9CFC-4C54-9378-4E67C5E9E38E.jpeg

975EC471-3480-4F9B-B4DF-755712B72784.jpeg

AE22E2E9-E5BD-44DD-8307-93C8144601C0.jpeg

Edited by heatherb1958

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Where did your cruise depart?

Was it a short cruise?

 

Sorry, I'm not up to speed on Indy

 

It would be ironic if the cruise sailed out of FLL and the expectation is for other countries dinner customs at Christmas  😉   ... guess I should expect turkey and dressing on thanksgiving when I sail out of Dubai   

Edited by Tulsacoker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another point that no one has mentioned. I honestly feel that RC like many other businesses is in a no win situation. 
 

Original poster is upset that an “American “ company didn’t celebrate how he expected Christmas to be celebrated with appropriate (to him) Christmas food. He places a lot of blame on the Americans!

 

Unfortunately it’s not politically correct any more to mention the word “Christmas.”  It’s not a Christmas dinner - it’s a holiday dinner; it’s a holiday tree; and my goodness don’t wish anyone a Merry Christmas.  I don’t think RC advertises Christmas cruises - it’s a holiday cruise. Another thread was complaining about the lack of Hanukkah celebrations. Christmas carols are religious songs. 

 

i think any company in this day and age has to tread a very fine line. Personally don’t agree but it’s the way it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, compman9 said:

 

Well I disagree with almost all of that

 

It was billed as a Christmas cruise and it did not serve the most widely considered Christmas meal among the many it had on offer - It did however have foods from different cultures available

 

Neither did it feature in any of its speciality restaurants

 

People can try to defend Royal's decision all it likes, but it is not one shared by other ships in its fleet or almost every other cruise line

 

 

"the most widely considered Christmas meal"?  By whom?  Where is this officially stated, other than in your mind? 

 

You really need to not get so upset about something so trivial.  In case you hadn't noticed, NOBODY else that has posted to this thread has agreed with your assessment that Christmas was "cancelled" on this ship.  Nobody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought only Santa Claus could cancel Christmas. That is, until the Heat Miser agreed to let Snow Miser make it snow in Southtown.  At least, according the documentary "The Year without a Santa Claus"☺️

 

But seriously, did they serve Figgy Pudding and a cup of good cheer? Because we won't go until we get some so bring it out here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know what Joseph and Mary had for dinner on the real Christmas in Bethlehem?  Just a guess, but no turkey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Anyone know what Joseph and Mary had for dinner on the real Christmas in Bethlehem?  Just a guess, but no turkey.

So are you saying that the first Christmas was "cancelled"?  Oh, the horrors! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who's sailing on Christmas? I was on a cruise over Christmas a few years ago. Went to the comedy show and the comedian was telling jokes about Christmas to polite laughter. Then she moved on to another topic, she asked "who here is Jewish?". More than half the audience raised their hands. "Explains why nobody is laughing at my Christmas jokes".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing that anyone says here is going to change the OP's mind, even though the opposite opinion is prevalent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mugtech said:

Anyone know what Joseph and Mary had for dinner on the real Christmas in Bethlehem?  Just a guess, but no turkey.

 

And it wasn't on December 25.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mugtech said:

Anyone know what Joseph and Mary had for dinner on the real Christmas in Bethlehem?  Just a guess, but no turkey.

 

Trick question. They were not there. The first Christmas celebration took place 300 years after the birth of Jesus. 

 

Besides, it wasn't until after WW2 that Turkey became the "traditional" Christmas meal in the UK..

 

https://www.whychristmas.com/customs/turkeys.shtml

 

" The growing train network in the UK towards the end of the 1800s meant that turkeys could be moved much more quickly around the country. But it wasn't until after WWII, when farming became more efficient and so food cheaper, that turkey became the 'traditional' Christmas meal in the UK. "

 

FYI, I'm totally onboard with serving Pig-in-a-Blanket as the side dish.....beats those marshmallow-topped Yams every time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Trick question. They were not there. The first Christmas celebration took place 300 years after the birth of Jesus. 

Not only that, heard Mary did not have a baby shower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Another point that no one has mentioned. I honestly feel that RC like many other businesses is in a no win situation. 
 

Original poster is upset that an “American “ company didn’t celebrate how he expected Christmas to be celebrated with appropriate (to him) Christmas food. He places a lot of blame on the Americans!

 

Unfortunately it’s not politically correct any more to mention the word “Christmas.”  It’s not a Christmas dinner - it’s a holiday dinner; it’s a holiday tree; and my goodness don’t wish anyone a Merry Christmas.  I don’t think RC advertises Christmas cruises - it’s a holiday cruise. Another thread was complaining about the lack of Hanukkah celebrations. Christmas carols are religious songs. 

 

i think any company in this day and age has to tread a very fine line. Personally don’t agree but it’s the way it is. 

 

BS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tulsacoker said:

It would be ironic if the cruise sailed out of FLL and the expectation is for other countries dinner customs at Christmas  😉   ... guess I should expect turkey and dressing on thanksgiving when I sail out of Dubai   

I suppose the difference is that Christmas in one form or the other is celebrated in most countries, even Dubai gets into the holiday spirit. Thanksgiving is very much an American tradition and the date goes unnoticed in other counties, though Dubai is very multicultural and there is probably some celebrations put on somewhere for the American expats 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sgmn said:

I suppose the difference is that Christmas in one form or the other is celebrated in most countries, even Dubai gets into the holiday spirit. Thanksgiving is very much an American tradition and the date goes unnoticed in other counties, though Dubai is very multicultural and there is probably some celebrations put on somewhere for the American expats 

I would venture to guess when some other countries "get into the holiday spirit" its more from a consumer spending than anything else.  

 

Plus still didnt see where the sailing took place out of for the Brit who had Christmas canceled 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

I would venture to guess when some other countries "get into the holiday spirit" its more from a consumer spending than anything else.  

 

Plus still didnt see where the sailing took place out of for the Brit who had Christmas canceled 

 

Fort Lauderdale, I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mugtech said:

Not only that, heard Mary did not have a baby shower.

But I bet they would have served turkey if she did!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We gave up the traditional Christmas turkey dinner 8 years ago once we started cruising over  the holidays.  Lately our Christmas dinner tradition has been Hibachi since it’s one of the few specialty restaurants on-board where Royal has not doubled the price for a special “Holiday Dinner” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Is only place open in my town...and a tradition since Christmas Story

That's basically the same here. It's a known fact that anyone who doesn't Celebrate Christmas goes to a movie and eats Chinese food.  For the past 3 years we have not celebrated Christmas day due to life changing events. This year we wanted to go to a movie but they were all sold out. It was Black Friday for the Chinese Restaurants. Thanks for reminding me of Christmas Story. Next year I will buy one of those Leg Lamps as a decoration. It will really feel like Christmas with the lamp and Chinese food since we haven't decorated in 3 years either.  I work in retail so Christmas is played out by Black Friday for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...