First Time FLYER...Help

Davis2010

19 hours ago, MamaFej said:

The federal requirement for IDs will not just be for flying, but for entering federal buildings, opening a bank account, and more.

Where did you hear you would need a Real ID to open a bank account?  Requiring Real ID is a DHS initiative for boarding federally regulated commercial aircraft, entering federal buildings and entering nuclear power plants.  The DHS website says nothing about opening bank accounts, which makes sense since banks are not federal properties.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Where did you hear you would need a Real ID to open a bank account?  Requiring Real ID is a DHS initiative for boarding federally regulated commercial aircraft, entering federal buildings and entering nuclear power plants.  The DHS website says nothing about opening bank accounts, which makes sense since banks are not federal properties.

I didn't read it. I heard it on a news program (but admit I didn't verify it). They were talking about how legal marijuana shops have to be cash businesses because banks are under federal jurisdiction and marijuana is still illegal federally. One person on the panel mentioned the Real ID thing as incidental to that. I should not have posted without verifying. 

We did an Alaska cruise last June, flying from Tampa through Dallas to Vancouver. I’m also concerned about you not flying in the day before. With a 6 AM flight, that’s going to be a long, tiring day. Assuming you have to get up before 3 AM, you’ll have been up 21 hours by 9 PM (it’ll be midnight Jacksonville time).  The extra day would help adjust to the time difference (Alaska will be another hour) and a cushion in case your luggage is delayed.  Packing for Alaska can be a challenge. Enjoy your cruise. 

ID is actually not required for flying, but if you attempt that trick (perfectly legal), you will be subject to enhanced screening.

For more details, the website papersplease has a lot of details on realid, along with the TSA and hidden no-fly lists

• 2 weeks later...