How do you communicate onboard?

stah1mr

11 hours ago, Larwos said:

I have seen families where they carry walkie talkies. The only way todo it with a whole mob of you around the ship. 

If you do this, please be discreet. Don't leave them on full blast (which means they may not work for you). Can't count the number of times we have heard every word said. It's so fun to be eating dinner and hear one behind you going, "HONEY, WHERE ARE YOU??? I AM IN THE BUFFET. DID YOU GO TO THE MDR?" :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

If you do this, please be discreet. Don't leave them on full blast (which means they may not work for you). Can't count the number of times we have heard every word said. It's so fun to be eating dinner and hear one behind you going, "HONEY, WHERE ARE YOU??? I AM IN THE BUFFET. DID YOU GO TO THE MDR?" :classic_biggrin:

Besides being incredibly annoying, they are illegal in some countries due to the channel(s) they use.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Larwos said:

I have seen families where they carry walkie talkies. The only way todo it with a whole mob of you around the ship. 

Please, please don't do it.  Loud cell phone conversations in public places are bad enough, yet not nearly as annoying as these bad boys.  😮

Just my $.02

• Like 4

In all seriousness, we have found that the ships are not that big that we can't find each other.  Also, depending on the time of day, we can pretty much figure where the other is.

One more thought, after 43 years of marriage, I suspect that my DW isn't all that concerned if she can't find me.  In fact, she is probably pretty happy with the peace and quiet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kenevenpar said:

In all seriousness, we have found that the ships are not that big that we can't find each other.  Also, depending on the time of day, we can pretty much figure where the other is.

One more thought, after 43 years of marriage, I suspect that my DW isn't all that concerned if she can't find me.  In fact, she is probably pretty happy with the peace and quiet.

We will be celebrating 40 on the ship so I know where you are coming from.  🙂 

3 minutes ago, stah1mr said:

Who fines her first?  You or the cabin steward?

Sorry this reminds me of a joke.

Two guys are are playing golf next to a mental health hospital.

Soon a naked woman comes running by

One man asks, what was that?

The other says, oh, that's Mary.

Soon enough a man in a white hospital uniform comes running by.

A little later another man in a white outfit comes running by carrying two pails of sand.

The one guy says, what's the sand for?

The other says, oh he caught her last week and that is his handicap.

Funny thing about cruising is that the ships arent really as big as you think they are. By that I mean the majority of the ships are cabins. So there is really only 5 or 6 places to find someone. We used to take Walkies to communicate with our kids. But we found that we didnt really need them. They would either be at the pool, arcade, kids club or ice cream machine 90% of the time when we went looking for them. Same goes for me and my wife. Cabin, hot tub/pool during the day. One of our favorite bars during the evening is a sure fire way to find each other.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2020 at 12:46 AM, Larwos said:

I like the reminders alarm idea though. I just leave a message on our phone in our cabin. 

Good luck anyway. 

We use walkie talkies everytime we cruise.  They work great.

On 1/7/2020 at 2:19 PM, DrKoob said:

Or you can share same channels so you get messages and conversations not meant for you.  The best solution is having WiFi on board and WiFi calling with your carrier, most carriers do.

Edited by Oville