Encore Australia / NZ - Itinerary changes?

florisdekort

Hello,

If someone is currently on board Encore, I would be highly appreciative if you could post here about itinerary changes because of the forest fires. Eden, Bateman’s Bay and Kangaroo Island have sadly all been evacuated and badly burned. We’re supposed to call their multiple times on our back-to-back cruises in February / March and are curious what is going to happen.  

Thanks!

Floris 

1 hour ago, florisdekort said:

The March 8 Encore cruise went from lots of availability in all categories to sold out overnight.  Could this be Seabourn pausing sales while they rework the itinerary?

I think it's a definite possibility.  Last year SB made a major pricing error on several Encore AU/NZ voyages.  Once discovered, those cruises went from wide open to call for availability and remained that way for several days until the pricing error was corrected.  Then it was business as usual and the sailings reappeared for booking.  Given the grim circumstances in AU right now, I suspect SB could be reworking their Encore itineraries and holding off sales until completed.

I seem to remember the Sojourn is doing a world cruise about the same time around the bottom of Aussie early March as well as the Encore which now doesnt exist. The 2021 World cruise cruise is still showing though going around Tassi etc

2 hours ago, Thecat123 said:

I seem to remember the Sojourn is doing a world cruise about the same time around the bottom of Aussie early March as well as the Encore which now doesnt exist. The 2021 World cruise cruise is still showing though going around Tassi etc

Yes that’s correct.  Generally speaking there is no reason for ships to avoid Australia / New Zealand, but 3 cruise ports are now closed: Bateman’s Bay (Canberra), Eden and Kangaroo Island. The March 8 Encore cruise is supposed to call at all 3.

I think it is too early for decisions to be made as it is two months away and hopefully the fires will be under control well before then. 

I know the areas may not be as pristine as some may like but hopefully the main infrastructure will be improved and businesses up and running. This could be a way of cruisers injecting some much needed cash into these rural places. I know my friend in Eden will try to get her business running again if the fires settle and cruise ships return.

I encountered something similar after disembarking in Fiji after Cyclone Winston hit the island in 2016. We had a couple of days there and we couldn't do all we had planned, but we donated clothing and spent money and the Islanders were glad we were there.

Julie

• Like 1

Not due to fires, but current itinerary (6JAN20) skipped Oban due to rough sea conditions. We went north after Milford Sound to take the Cook Straight between the Islands (rather than continue our counter-clockwise circumnavigation of the Islands), resulting in one extra day and sea, to reach Timaru, the next scheduled port-of-call.

We were successful in landing on Norfolk Island. I was told, but cannot vouch for the veracity of the claim, that the prior six attempts from previous voyages failed. They now use locally-provided tenders which are heavy duty and made of metal, rather than fiberglass.

Both of the above unrelated to Australian fires, so apologies for going off topic, but figure may be of interest to some with future cruises planned in the region.

Very concerned about air quality. Saw an article about Tennis Match in Melbourne. Some players had to drop out. Spectators had breathing masks.  This is not the luxurious trip I signed up for.  Kangaroo island, Batemans Island and Eden  have been devastated and their ports closed.  What are the rest of you doing?

Still watching the situation. One option considered, switching to earlier in spring next season, is not available. The first Encore Aus/NZ sailing is the holiday Dec 21 (not) then Jan 6 to mid March. Summer again and no guarantee of fewer fires. Seabourn has other great itineraries you might switch to, but this is the one we wanted/planned for many years. The US downgraded its travel alert back to Level 1. The air in Sydney is OK today where it was harzardous past two days  https://www.dpie.nsw.gov.au/air-quality  but Melbourne is "very poor". Also appears Blue Mountain Park reopened, but I have to think shore excursions in many places will be effected, even ash on the NZ glaciers.   
 https://www.australia.com/en-us/travel-alerts.html 

Edited by Janet987
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Most ships tender into Kangaroo Island and weather can affect that process.  However subject to all being well with that, I see no reason why Seabourn wouldn't include KI in their itineraries now.  The fires affected about the half the island but they are out with no current risk to visitors.  There has been an active marketing programme encouraging South Australians to visit the island as so much of what makes it unique is still there.  The entire eastern side is available to explore - wineries, beautiful food, wildlife, magnificent views everywhere.  I believe Seal Bay is open as well.

Edited by cruising kirby