How many times do you rewear clothes?

Jenner9

I am an overpacker. I am trying not to be an overpacker. It isnt working!  I have been reading that some people rewear some of their clothes. What do you rewear and how many times? Do you rewear tops? I am not a huge pool person so wont be wearing a swimsuit during the day. Mostly shorts and tees and dressing for dinner.

• Like 1

It really depends on the type of cruise. Since you mention pool, I assume you're talking about a warm weather option, Caribbean or Med during the summer,  maybe SE Asia? I just did my first Caribbean cruise in over a decade (i'm NOT a beach person) and found I could wear tops in port only once before washing - we walked a lot and I am a sweaty person (same in Mekong last summer). I brought technical tops & shorts so easy to wash & dry overnight (it was a 14 day cruise, we had self-serve laundrettes on board - I did a load of laundry twice on trip and washed a few things in the cabin). For night time stuff, I wore stuff 3-4 times, aired out between wearings - because I was indoors in a/c and not wearing for very long.

In cold weather & more casual travel, I often wear things 3-4 times, airing out in between, and often using a heat tech or similar base layer that can easily be washed & dried in room. 

• Like 2

In cool weather, I'll get 2 or 3 wearings out of an item unless I've dropped something on it.  In hot weather when I'm sweating, 1 wearing max.  

I do laundry when I travel. Either with a ship's laundry package, or a laundromat, or washing things in the sink.  That's how I don't run out of clean clothes and can keep my suitcase small.

• Like 3

Are you talking about for daytime? Evenings? Both?  If it is daytime and I am shorts and a t-shirt? I will wear those

shorts multiple times.   Tops, those do get changed daily.  Evenings? I may wear the same slacks more than once

but put on a different top.  The shorts are only if I am sailing to the Caribbean.

If I am going to (example, Alaska)----If I am in jeans during the day, I will wear those multiple times.

So I am more of a "different top each night person", but I will wear the same slacks more than once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jenner9 said:

We are sailing to the Caribbean 2/1/20. Thanks for the input! I guess I am not crazy for rewearing shorts and pants! 

Hi, no not crazy:classic_smile:.....just giving you what works for me.  Others may say NEVER wear the same clothes twice.

I say, ok, so don't wear them twice LOL...….I can tell you, sometimes I still don't wear everything I pack but

I am ok with that too.

• Like 1

I try to be strategic for items, mostly doing Carribean cruises so I will rewear swimsuit covers etc and do light handwashing of items but mostly try to pack sundresses I can wear one night dressed up and then later in week double to use as a swimsuit cover or daytime excursion outfit over a swimsuit. That way its fresh at night, usually doesn’t get that dirty and then i have a casual day outfit of it too. If I do this even with 2 dresses it helps!

• Like 3

Just returned from 7 day New Years Cruise, which was dressier due to the holiday. But other that one of the formal nights, I wore the same pair of black velvet slacks every single night!! I did wear them the 2nd formal night with very dressy top and shoes but the other ‘smart casual’ evenings I wore them with nice (semi-dressy) or casual tops and sandals.

The casual tops were worn a second time with shorts during the day: sometimes later that week but sometimes the very next day.

As we knew we’d have at least one but more likely two specialty dining evenings, I knew we could re-wear the clothes worn those 2 evenings to the MDR as our dining companions would not have seen those clothes.

DH still had a dress shirt he only wore once so he could have done without it. I accidentally brought tops that weren’t all that appropriate for shorts (either wrong fabrics-too hot- or they were actually too dressy for shorts) so I ended up borrowing a t-shirt from DH and buying a couple of t-shirts.

And as an aside: I love to people watch, especially clothing, and I never noticed someone wearing the same thing again. Ships tend to be so large you rarely run into someone again so very unlikely you’d be wearing the same outfit even if you did see someone again. The ship is full of people you don’t know and probably won’t sail with in the future; and those you do get to know are very likely to be rewearing some of their clothes multiple times too!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreeing with @Hoyaheel! Our general rule is 4 days for pants/leggings (have to pay attention to what you have that can look good that long) and 2 days for tops. But could not do that in Panama, India, Thailand, Costa Rica (maybe other places) because.sweaty! In those places we try for twice for pants and either hotel laundry (if staying in one place for long enough) or hand-wash.

We try to travel carryon only, and I pack EZ-Wash sheets (from Amazon) cut in quarters in a snack-zippy. Just the right size for a sink-load that is the tub's line full.

We haven't travelled TOO much in the tropics. I guess Panama (FLL-LAX) was the only cruise, but we are booked for So.Pacific in March and So.Caribbean Jan'21. Fortunately gauze tops and crinkle bottoms do pack in less space than sweatshirts and jeans!

• Like 1

Good morning girls, I still haven't done the "Carry on only" route and until I feel the need to really cut back? It will

still be 1 checked bag and 1 carry on.  I am taking a Caribbean cruise next week:classic_biggrin:.....have just been looking at

what to take----I am pretty sure I will end up overpacking but I have never exceeded the 50lb weight limit so will

bringing the same things I normally bring---probably 3 pairs of shorts, 3 pairs of capris, and several pairs of slacks

for evenings. My thing is to have enough tops:classic_biggrin:....the ones I wear for daytime don't work for my evening attire.

• Like 1

I wear technical fabric tops & technical capris during the day (I do not rewear the tops normally, if so I rewear once, bottoms I’ll get at least 2-3 wears). I do wash my tech clothes in sink (with a bit of Dreft & hang in bathroom (dries very quickly).  I bring black & bronze silk slacks & 2 pair white slacks. I only wear evening tops once ( I spill) & most of my evening tops are not ones I’d wear in daytime. I do tend to bring extra shoes (I’ve had 18 foot surgeries, so never know how the foot will react on any given day. I will send clothes to dry cleaners on cruises over 14 nights. I do not use ship laundry (even tho it’s free to us). I spend too much in clothing to have it ruined with hot water & hotter dryers. (& even if you request cold water wash you will not get it). Two (sometimes 3) swimsuits & one coverup. This is what I’m taking on our next cruise (21 nights) 

• Like 2

For my 10 day Tahiti cruise, this is my packing list;

2 swim suits

2 cover-ups that are also sun dresses

1 black maxi sun dress

2 pairs capris (1 grey, 1 tan)

5 tops

2 sarongs to use as toppers for the sun dresses at night, and as additional cover-ups if necessary

1 pair water shoes

2 sandals - one tan leather flat, one black leather wedge

Snorkel gear

I'm sailing with Windstar, so the evenings are not formal, but dressier than jeans and a t-shirt. I've already purchased the laundry service, so I will be using that. The only reason I can't do this trip carry on is my snorkel gear. The fins are too long.

• Like 2

I once managed to wear a pair of white pants 3 times over the duration of a 7 nighter which is an amazing feat for me as I'm usually what my mom called a mucky cat lol. Each time with a different jazzy top. 

I'm also in the camp of rewearing an evening item as daywear later in the cruise as they're only worn for a few hours max in the evening in air con surroundings. 

I have a black halterneck jumpsuit that can he worn 5 ways too which is useful too. 

3 hours ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

For my 10 day Tahiti cruise, this is my packing list;

2 swim suits

2 cover-ups that are also sun dresses

1 black maxi sun dress

2 pairs capris (1 grey, 1 tan)

5 tops

2 sarongs to use as toppers for the sun dresses at night, and as additional cover-ups if necessary

1 pair water shoes

2 sandals - one tan leather flat, one black leather wedge

Snorkel gear

I'm sailing with Windstar, so the evenings are not formal, but dressier than jeans and a t-shirt. I've already purchased the laundry service, so I will be using that. The only reason I can't do this trip carry on is my snorkel gear. The fins are too long.

Hi, you are good!!! No way I could only bring 5 tops for a 10 night cruise....I know Windstar is casual and I would

love your opinion when you get back. I have been wanting to cruise with  them for a few years now but something

else always came up LOL..but for a 10 night cruise? I would be bringing at least 10 tops!

6 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, you are good!!! No way I could only bring 5 tops for a 10 night cruise....I know Windstar is casual and I would

love your opinion when you get back. I have been wanting to cruise with  them for a few years now but something

else always came up LOL..but for a 10 night cruise? I would be bringing at least 10 tops!

I'm planning to wear the sundresses in the evenings. 🙂 Especially the black maxi dress. Unless I'm very messy, I'll get 4 evening wearings out of just that alone.  The tops are for daytime wear with the capris when I'm not snorkeling or swimming. And, I've already purchased the laundry package so things will be washed along the way.

I forgot to add the shoes, jeans, and down jacket I'll be wearing to the airport. It's winter here in Idaho!

Edited by Bizmark'sMom
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

I'm planning to wear the sundresses in the evenings. 🙂 Especially the black maxi dress. Unless I'm very messy, I'll get 4 evening wearings out of just that alone.  The tops are for daytime wear with the capris when I'm not snorkeling or swimming. And, I've already purchased the laundry package so things will be washed along the way.

I forgot to add the shoes, jeans, and down jacket I'll be wearing to the airport. It's winter here in Idaho!

Leave the jacket in the car!!!  Come on, you're a hardy Idaho Woman.  You can deal with a short amount of cold!!! 😉

Unless I'm going to need the jacket on my trip, I don't work about it.  Heck, here at home, I leave my old Patagonia in my car all the time in the Winter, just in case it is below zero and I have to pump gas.  Otherwise, it's not that bad to walk a couple of minutes without a coat.   But, then, I did work outside all Winter long at a bobsled track and a ski resort... 

I'm a multi-wearer, too.  I pack easy-wash/dry clothes, not necessarily tech fabrics only.  I have no problem doing a few items each night in the tub or sink.  For "dressy" things, I take my trusty LBTD (Little Black Travel/Tshirt Dress) and just change it's look by a different scarf or jewelry.  If someone happens to notice it's the same dress, well, someone has too much time on their hands to watch and remember what people are wearing...

• Like 3

I will re-wear shorts, skorts, skirts and capri pants. 2 swimsuits so I can alternate them from day to day. I will wear a sundress during the day and then re-wear it another night (or vice versa). I do not re-wear my shirts. I don't like the sweat/smell and I refuse to do laundry on vacation. Since my tops are basically t-shirts or tank tops they take up very little space in the suitcase. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 2:56 PM, Jenner9 said:

We are sailing to the Caribbean 2/1/20. Thanks for the input! I guess I am not crazy for rewearing shorts and pants! 

What do you do at home? I wear everything multiple times...unless I 'dribble.' 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, clo said:

What do you do at home? I wear everything multiple times...unless I 'dribble.' 🙂

Very true...not sure why I think it would be different. 😂 I do rewear shorts and pants. 

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

I wear bottoms multiple times at home but tops? Nope--once.  I guess that is what make us all different:classic_biggrin:

Really? So you wear a shirt for a few hours and then it gets laundered?

@Jenner9 - Greetings from Canada.  I travel with a carry on for all my cruises (have done ones up to a month long).  Like others, rewear, do spot clean ups if I dribble, do sniff test 😝, etc.  I'm used to living in cramped corners on a 30' sailboat, so limited to storage space, so the cabins on the cruise ships I go onto, is like living in a chateau (and I don't have to make up my bed or scrub the deck down).  One tips, silk or bamboo undies are the way to go.  They are anti-fungal, wash up fast and dry fast. For a month a way, I bring 3 pairs, wearing one. I find the less I bring, the less stress.  I mean, most people will only see you once or twice, and I highly doubt they'll notice if you're rewearing something and if they do ... who cares!

As others have stated here too, how do you dress at home?  I've been wearing the same leggings for the past week, crotch sniff, they're still okay.  That's me though, a semi-minimalist who would rather save her back/arms from lugging heavy luggage.

• Like 5

I try to pack as minimally as possible and plan out my outfits so I can save room for extras I bring (i.e., a lightweight blanket packed at the bottom of my suitcase, my travel fan, way too much makeup, etc.).  I usually plan by activity, starting with excursion outfits, formal nights, and then sea days and see what I can mix and match.   I'm big on dresses since they're easy to pack and don't take up much room so I'll usually bring a few of those that can be worn multiple times or could double as a bathing suit cover-up.  My formal dress is separate and I will only bring one and if there's more than one formal night, I'll re-wear it but switch up the accessories.  Then the rest depends on excursions but on most of ours, I've ended up packing a pair of jean shorts with 2-3 shirt options.  I'll also do a pair of lounge shorts or pants, a lightweight zip-up/long cardigan (I freeze on the ships), and a couple lounge tops.  For shoes, I'm minimal and will usually bring a pair of casual flip-flops for the pool/sea days, a slightly nicer pair of sandals, and dressier wedges that work with regular dresses or with my formal outfit.  I'll also be strategic about my accessories -- usually a couple of necklaces I can wear with multiple outfits, maybe a skinny belt, a crossbody for traveling and excursions, and a wristlet to carry around the ship. 

For a visual on a 7-day cruise, here's what I typically take and then I'll mix and match and usually re-wear the casual dresses once or twice: 
4 - Casual dresses
1 - Formal dress
1 - Shorts
2-3 - Tops to wear with shorts 
1 - Lounge shorts or pants/leggings
2 - Lounge tops
1 - Hoodie/Cardigan
1-2 - Bathing suits 
1 - Casual flip-flops
1 - Nicer casual sandals
1 - Dressy wedge heels 

Making a list, it kindof seems like a lot, but I roll everything and use packing cubes so it really doesn't take up much space at all.  I do use one regular-sized suitcase but if I wanted, could honestly probably take it down even more and fit it in a carry-on and a tote/beach bag..... but I'm not at that point yet haha 

Edited by iheartmarshall
  • Like 2

For you T-shirt wearing ladies:   I bought a Woolx Mia v-neck T-shirt and the Rory long sleeve 1/4 zip shirt back this Fall for some camping.  Wow.  The T-shirt was lightweight, looked good and didn't stink after a day's wearing on the trail!!!  The zip shirt was my go-to for evenings and first thing in the morning.  Yes, they were expensive.  But, I don't mind paying for something that I think is going to last.  Heck, I've got some Athleta clothes from 6 years ago going strong, and a trusty T-shirt from the original Banana Republic (not the yuppified one) of 30 years ago the I still wear!    Look at the Woolx website and see if it appeals.   I even wore the T-shirt this week to work with a pair of leggings and a North Face jacket (I LOVE being able to dress casually for work now!!!).  I'll probably buy a couple more colors next Spring (if they do more colors again), and maybe get a pair of their leggings.

I'll agree with Lolly Pop on the bamboo undies!  I bought some from Ex-Officio years ago.  They are my vacation undies.  I can go for weeks with 3 pair - one wearing, one washed at night (and ready for the next day - FAST DRY) and one "emergency" pair.  If I was ultra-backpacking, I could ditch the 3rd pair.  They don't have the bamboo anymore, but their "Give and Go'' undies work just as well.  

• Like 3