How many times do you rewear clothes?

Jenner9

4 hours ago, clo said:

Really? So you wear a shirt for a few hours and then it gets laundered?

Yes, really.  Why does it matter to you? Who said anything about getting it laundered? I like having choices

for tops.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Yes, really.  Why does it matter to you? Who said anything about getting it laundered? I like having choices

for tops.

Good grief. See the topic. So if you don't launder then I guess you carry at least one top for every day of your trips. And if you change for dinner....  We just completed a trip, cruise and land, that was 23 days long. I can't imagine carrying that many tops.

Probably.  I am going on a 7 day cruise next week and will be bringing at least 15 tops...…..not sure

why this seems to be such an issue for you. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jenner9 said:

I overpack! 

Yes you do, darlin' 🙂 I know I'm lucky that rarely does my body "glow" so I don't befoul my tops that way 🙂 But I have been known to 'dribble' red wine or drop something off my chopsticks that is greasy. And I'm really tailored in my clothes. Most things I have are a solid color so everything really goes with everything. Just my taste.

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Probably.  I am going on a 7 day cruise next week and will be bringing at least 15 tops...…..not sure

why this seems to be such an issue for you. 

Because it's the topic of this thread 🙂 Do you ever travel for longer periods, say three or four weeks not RTW.

6 minutes ago, Jenner9 said:

I am going for 9 days and I have 16 packed! 😲🤪😲 This why I am trying to pack lighter! 😂 I overpack! 

Hi, I don't think tops take up that much space----many of them I pack are light weight. I see nothing wrong with

the amount you are bringing. Out of the 16, are many of them for evenings? I bring t-'s for day time but have

nicer ones for dinnertime.

I am going on a 7 nighter and probably have that many for my cruise as well.

5 minutes ago, clo said:

Because it's the topic of this thread 🙂 Do you ever travel for longer periods, say three or four weeks not RTW.

I am gong away for a month in April.

You seem to have issues if the replies don't give "exact answers" to the topic. Just like you said to me. Good Grief,

so I will take leave.

21 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I don't think tops take up that much space----many of them I pack are light weight. I see nothing wrong with

the amount you are bringing. Out of the 16, are many of them for evenings? I bring t-'s for day time but have

nicer ones for dinnertime.

I am going on a 7 nighter and probably have that many for my cruise as well.

Yes I have 2 tops per day (tee for day and nicer for night) except for the first 2 nights in Florida as we wont be doing much but hangin out!

11 hours ago, Jenner9 said:

I am going for 9 days and I have 16 packed! 😲🤪😲 This why I am trying to pack lighter! 😂 I overpack! 

Personally, I would take half of the shirts, and plan on laundry once during the trip. But that's me. We all handle things differently.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 2:05 PM, slidergirl said:

Leave the jacket in the car!!!  Come on, you're a hardy Idaho Woman.  You can deal with a short amount of cold!!! 😉

Unless I'm going to need the jacket on my trip, I don't work about it.  Heck, here at home, I leave my old Patagonia in my car all the time in the Winter, just in case it is below zero and I have to pump gas.  Otherwise, it's not that bad to walk a couple of minutes without a coat.   But, then, I did work outside all Winter long at a bobsled track and a ski resort... 

If the current weather reports hold true, I'm going to have to walk 1/2 mile to get to my Uber. 🤣🤣🤣 I live at the tail end of a narrow little street. We are last on the list to be plowed. Yet another reason to keep my suitcase light.  

1 hour ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

If the current weather reports hold true, I'm going to have to walk 1/2 mile to get to my Uber. 🤣🤣🤣 I live at the tail end of a narrow little street. We are last on the list to be plowed. Yet another reason to keep my suitcase light.  

OK.  I'll give you the jacket then. 😉   Or, pony up more to get that Uber XL (the SUV).   It's also a good reason to have a convertible bag - roller or backpack!!!!  I've had to put my bag on my back a couple of times when there was no hard surface to roll over.  I know what it's like to be last to be plowed.   The County has roads/streets classified as Primary, Secondary, Terciary.   My street is in the last list, so it may be a day or two after a storm to be plowed.  Hate it, because I can go out and shovel my driveway all nice and then the County truck comes by and blocks me in with the crap from the street.   I used to be snowed in when I had my Audi TT - not much clearance at all.  Then, I'd have to walk about 1/4 mile out to the bus stop to start my trek (3 busses) to work. Now with my Kia Sportage, I haven't been snowed in yet.  

Too bad there aren't lockers anymore at airports - you could stuff the jacket in a locker and pick it up when you got back...

sorry I keep hijacking stuff - I'm home sick the past few days with bronchitis.  Nothing much to watch on TV (I can only watch CNN and Bravo for so long), so I'm snuggled up on my sofa, drinking liquids and surfin' the 'net...

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

I hope you feel better soon, Slidergirl.

I live at the tail end of a tertiary road. It's usually not a big deal. I can work remotely, and a big grocery store is a mile away so I can walk there and back.  Getting to the airport just might get interesting.  Last ditch, I can just drive my Subaru there and eat the parking charges.

• Like 1

Slidergirl feel well quickly, I too live on a street that hasn’t been plowed in the 36 years we’ve lived here. Poor Amazon drivers...I have to leave them cookies!

I pulled out what I’ll likely bring for my 21 night cruise & 2 days precruise. My evening clothes differ considerably from my day clothes, especially where it’s MardiGras for the first cruise. We splurged on first class air for this second part of our 50th anniversary trip. I’d forgotten that I had 70lb per bag, sheesh, I couldn’t pick that up!  I’m not concerned about overpacking, I like changes & will bring many more day tops (I spill) than capris/slacks. I don’t use ship laundry (except for drycleaning if necessary) even tho we get free laundry as I spend too much on clothing to have it ruined by the hot water & hotter dryer. My case weigh in at 43 lbs with shoes & stuff that I’m bringing for MardiGras. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, awhfy said:

Slidergirl feel well quickly, I too live on a street that hasn’t been plowed in the 36 years we’ve lived here. Poor Amazon drivers...I have to leave them cookies!

I pulled out what I’ll likely bring for my 21 night cruise & 2 days precruise. My evening clothes differ considerably from my day clothes, especially where it’s MardiGras for the first cruise. We splurged on first class air for this second part of our 50th anniversary trip. I’d forgotten that I had 70lb per bag, sheesh, I couldn’t pick that up!  I’m not concerned about overpacking, I like changes & will bring many more day tops (I spill) than capris/slacks. I don’t use ship laundry (except for drycleaning if necessary) even tho we get free laundry as I spend too much on clothing to have it ruined by the hot water & hotter dryer. My case weigh in at 43 lbs with shoes & stuff that I’m bringing for MardiGras. 

43 lbs isn't too bad, as long as you can handle it yourself!!     I had a few of those 70lb bags come in with guests the past couple of weeks - I'm strong,  but, Geez!!!  Just trying to get them onto a bell cart was a chore!!!

On 1/7/2020 at 7:32 AM, Jenner9 said:

I am an overpacker. I am trying not to be an overpacker. It isnt working!  I have been reading that some people rewear some of their clothes. What do you rewear and how many times? Do you rewear tops? I am not a huge pool person so wont be wearing a swimsuit during the day. Mostly shorts and tees and dressing for dinner.

I tend to rewear solid colored bottoms ... but to like to change tops ....

• Like 2

As long as I can handle my suitcase and keep it under the weight limit if we are flying, then I don’t see a need to limit what I take.  While I wear pants/jeans/capris multiple times, I don’t rewear tops but then, I don’t rewear them at home either.😂And the only laundry I have done on a ship is gym clothes.  Our longest cruise was 46 days and I managed to take enough tops/tshirts to wear on port days and some for evenings and did not rewear or wash any.

Sherri🙂

17 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Thanks all for the wishes.  Can't do anything for bronchitis but rest, drink fluids, let it do it's thing.  No magic meds for this...

Hope you feel better soon!

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 10:48 PM, crystalspin said:

We try to travel carryon only, and I pack EZ-Wash sheets (from Amazon) cut in quarters in a snack-zippy. Just the right size for a sink-load that is the tub's line full.

I'm going to try to do carry on only for a NE/Canada cruise in late July.  If you have any tips, I'd love to hear them!

3 hours ago, travelinmoma said:

I'm going to try to do carry on only for a NE/Canada cruise in late July.  If you have any tips, I'd love to hear them!

Our rule of thumb is four bottoms/eight tops per person, and as many socks-undies-undershirts/bras as either we will need, or a couple more than needed for half-way through the trip, calculated from the itinerary, looking at EITHER where we'll be able to have laundry done OR be in one place long enough for things to drip-dry if I wash them myself. (Oops, that last only applies on land-trips, not cruises!)

I have not been a big fan of packing cubes UNTIL I realized the problem was, the ones I had didn't fit our clothes, specifically my husband's cargo pants. So I measured my DH's pants, freshly washed and folded, and found some cubes where the larger one fit those measurements. I bought four colors of this set! (Cheap from China on eBay.) Then I set out to perfect a system. Since I wear mostly legging-type pants, knits, a full outfit of one bottom, two tops, and a bra, easily fit in the medium size of these cubes. It worked out that we only needed three each of the large and medium, and four of the small (to cross pack our undies/socks).

On returning from October's land-trip to central Europe, I assessed the system and, satisfied that it had made a hectic trip SO much better, I bought Eagle Creek Specter Tech in the three color-trims they come in. Because we seem to be flying on the low priced Euro airlines more, like Norwegian or Finnair, and every ounce counts! I ended up with a couple of Extra Small and they will be good for chargers and the like, in the personal item bag.

More to come!

• Like 2