Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Jenner9

How many times do you rewear clothes?

Recommended Posts

Then we take usually a cardigan and a jacket -- the particulars of which, light or heavy, depends on the season and weather expected. We will wear one onto the plane and carry the other in the "personal item" daypack, depending on room in the rollaboard.

 

As far as raingear, I watch the weather forecast as the trip approaches and make my call at the latest possible moment. We have in fact worn our raincoats on the plane! We also have Vumos travel umbrellas that fit across the bottom of one daypack. It seems that Vumos is out of the umbrella business, but you might find them on eBay...

 

I have made up a pretty wide-ranging first-aid-and-medical kit in a roll-up toiletry case, that fits in the bottom of the other daypack. Everything in it is "dry" at least if we are flying. One life-saver is tablet cough suppressant (dextramethorphan) from Mucinex or the generic. As far as actual toiletries, we simply use the required quart zippy bag. Tips and tricks for getting ALL you need in the 3-1-1 bag include these two: 

(1) Do not put dry things in your kippee-zippy bag! Well, maybe your travel toothbrush, but only if there is room at the last. Have a dry zippy bag of whatever size works for you. 

(2) Even though the maximum size for a container is 3oz/100ml -- you don't have to take that much, when not needed. Humangear Gotoobs come in 1.25, 1.7, 2.0, 2.5oz as well as 3/3.4oz.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gotoob&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

The GoTubbs come in 0.4oz (when you need just a dab of something) and 2oz. and show up on that Amazon search if you scroll down.

 

We both have extremely short hair; if you don't you might look into bar-shampoo? Or fly without it and buy at port-city, I've heard others do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like Crystalspin i have discovered packing cubes and it has revolutionized my packing.  It helps with pre-cruise stays, cross packing, keeps footwear separate and homeward bound the dirty laundry goes in cubes by colour to go straight to the laundry room in one suitcase and 'clean' and footwear goes in the other suitcase to be hefted by DH back to the spare room for unpacking.  WIN WIn imo

Edited by 2BACRUISER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Then we take usually a cardigan and a jacket -- the particulars of which, light or heavy, depends on the season and weather expected. We will wear one onto the plane and carry the other in the "personal item" daypack, depending on room in the rollaboard.

 

As far as raingear, I watch the weather forecast as the trip approaches and make my call at the latest possible moment. We have in fact worn our raincoats on the plane! We also have Vumos travel umbrellas that fit across the bottom of one daypack. It seems that Vumos is out of the umbrella business, but you might find them on eBay...

 

I have made up a pretty wide-ranging first-aid-and-medical kit in a roll-up toiletry case, that fits in the bottom of the other daypack. Everything in it is "dry" at least if we are flying. One life-saver is tablet cough suppressant (dextramethorphan) from Mucinex or the generic. As far as actual toiletries, we simply use the required quart zippy bag. Tips and tricks for getting ALL you need in the 3-1-1 bag include these two: 

(1) Do not put dry things in your kippee-zippy bag! Well, maybe your travel toothbrush, but only if there is room at the last. Have a dry zippy bag of whatever size works for you. 

(2) Even though the maximum size for a container is 3oz/100ml -- you don't have to take that much, when not needed. Humangear Gotoobs come in 1.25, 1.7, 2.0, 2.5oz as well as 3/3.4oz.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gotoob&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

The GoTubbs come in 0.4oz (when you need just a dab of something) and 2oz. and show up on that Amazon search if you scroll down.

 

We both have extremely short hair; if you don't you might look into bar-shampoo? Or fly without it and buy at port-city, I've heard others do that.

Yes on the bar shampoo.  Go to your nearest Lush store (all around the world) or the website.  I'm partial to Godiva, but it's going away 😢  So, I'm going to have to try either Coconut Rice Cake or Honey I Washed My Hair when I need another bar.  I've been traveling with Lush solid shampoo since around 2000.  

If you get GoToobs, do NOT put argan oil in there!  I put some of my MorocanOil in one to take to Kenya.  The Toob sucked it up!  No, it didn't leak - my bags and clothes would have smelled like it.  They are food-grade, so if you want to take some of your favorite condiment with you, go for it and put it in your Kippie bag.  No TSA rule says it can only be toiletries in the Kippie!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh, that's interesting about the argan oil (maybe any straight oil?). Food grade *should* mean inert to absorbing... but I do not doubt your expensive experience!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like silicone tubes for carry-on - they're too bulky! (at least all the varieties I've seen have been) I own a few and will use them in checked luggage, but they take up space I want for other things in my 3-1-1 bag ;-) I also don't like using packing cubes in an organized packing manner. Perhaps I'm just contrary ;-) I do think it's important to check out everyone's ideas and play around until you find a style that works for you!

 

[I overpacked on my last trip. I was MISERABLE. I, personally, was distraught by what I had to carry, unpack, use (or not use) and repack. So I know that the stress of packing lighter is worth it TO ME because the alternative doesn't work ;-)]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally got really good in packing in a carry on. Went on an Alaska cruise with just a carry on. Then I went on a cruise with a baby. Any semblance of packing light went out the window. But I do rewear my clothes, though how much depends on what I’m doing. We usually just hit the beach in warm weather ports, so I’ll wear a cover up off the ship and I will rewear that. Or the top that I wore for dinner will become a daytime shirt the next day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I'm lucky cause I rarely perspire so unless I spill something I can wear things over and over and over again. And do. At home and when traveling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to "not sweat" -- lived and worked in the desert, no problem. I would get somewhere humid and would have to sweat more to cool the body, and it was always so foreign. But sometime in the last 5-6 years, it takes much less to make me sweat. Hence the adjustment to my carryon packing method for the tropics. Fortunately gauze and seersucker weigh less per garment...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I used to "not sweat" -- lived and worked in the desert, no problem. I would get somewhere humid and would have to sweat more to cool the body, and it was always so foreign. But sometime in the last 5-6 years, it takes much less to make me sweat. Hence the adjustment to my carryon packing method for the tropics. Fortunately gauze and seersucker weigh less per garment...

I am a fan of light weight fabrics too, like the gauze and seersucker you mention.   The all so tend to wrinkle less too, i find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Huh, that's interesting about the argan oil (maybe any straight oil?). Food grade *should* mean inert to absorbing... but I do not doubt your expensive experience!

I can't think of anything else.  It was a full, little Toob when I packed it.  When we got to our first camp in Kenya and I got out my Kippie bag, the Toob was empty but everything was dry.  Weird.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 9:27 PM, OCruisers said:

 

I tend to rewear solid colored bottoms ... but to like to change tops ....

I will rewear solid coloured bottoms too. I usually pack for a 7 day cruise:

2 swim suits

5 sun dresses

swim suit coverup 

2 capris

2 shorts

3 tank tops

3 tshirts

2 flip flops

1 running shoes for excursions

1 dress for formal night & a pair of heels
1 pair of jeans to fly in and home in with a hoodie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 2:12 PM, Canmilitarywife said:

2 flip flops

 

Why two?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, clo said:

Why two?

Two different colours, also like stated above in case of a blow out. They don’t take up much room in my suit case or weigh much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only been on cruises where I was in the bosom of family+chilly weather touristing. In Alaska I (gasp, please don't judge; I was amazed at the results myself) I wore the same pair of LLBean synthetic super-duper cargo pants every minute of every day. They arrived home (on me) as fresh as the day we'd left. Wish they still made those. Ugly but SO functional.
Have never been on a long, nor a warm-weather, cruise, but definitely the weather would affect what I took, and how many times I wore before washing. I'd carry wool for cold weather now; it rarely needs to be washed unless you go swimming in the chocolate fountain. Tech fabrics are appealing for their quick drying. I am still the person who hates restaurant dining (missed the *only* lovely Alaska sunset bc we were talked into MDR, and as we looked out the translucent window we knew we'd chosen wrong), so unless we somehow morph into fancy people (my term, not meant as judgement but rather simply my term for what I'm not) in our late 60's here, I'd wear day clothes or, every night the same easy-pack casual outfit if there was time&inclination to change.
I think I am a wardrobe outlier... I don't care who looks at me and says, ew, she's wearing xyz to the pdq! And she wore it yesterday!
But I think a longer cruise could make me take more clothes....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zauberflote said:

I think I am a wardrobe outlier... I don't care who looks at me and says, ew, she's wearing xyz to the pdq! And she wore it yesterday!

I've mentioned somewhere here that I did a little test about 30 years ago. I tried to remember what anyone I worked with had worn the day before. Couldn't do it. So I rewear things, at home and when traveling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All people are different. I could tell you what at least 10 people on my hall at work were wearing yesterday, down to tie patterns on the men who wore them. I don't *care* what people wear, but I sure as heck notice. That's why mix and match is so important in my packing scheme - I know I'm wearing clothing repeatedly (washed or unwashed) but I don't want to wear the SAME thing every day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

All people are different. I could tell you what at least 10 people on my hall at work were wearing yesterday, down to tie patterns on the men who wore them. I don't *care* what people wear, but I sure as heck notice. That's why mix and match is so important in my packing scheme - I know I'm wearing clothing repeatedly (washed or unwashed) but I don't want to wear the SAME thing every day.

I worked in a very corporate environment and am really surprised that you noticed such a thing.  LOL  But if I wear solid colors on the bottom I can wear that a ton of times. And a couple of tops can be rotated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 10:24 PM, Jenner9 said:

Yes I have 2 tops per day (tee for day and nicer for night) except for the first 2 nights in Florida as we wont be doing much but hangin out!

 

This is where I'd cut back.  I can see taking a different top for each day if you don't live in swimwear during the day (like I often do on warm weather cruises) and are out and about on excursions, sweating, etc.   But for evenings, you will generally be inside, which means you likely won't be sweating. As long as you don't spill food on yourself, you can rewear things.  I'd only take 3 or 4 tops for evening and rewear each one once, plus a dress that can be worn twice as well.  This is assuming you actually WANT to cut back.  If you don't, then pack whatever and don't worry about it. 

As a side note, does anyone remember the post a couple of years ago from the lady claiming to want to cut back and pack lighter?   Between her and her husband I think they took something like 7 or 8 bags....her hair products list alone included 10 or 12 different items, she had a different swimsuit for each day, and IIRC she had a separate cover up and flip flops for each one, etc.  Anyway, she came here asking because she said she wanted to be able to pack lighter and you'd think with that number of bags it would be easy.  But then she argued with just about every single suggestion anyone made, LOL, claiming yes, she really did need all the crap in those 7 or 8 bags. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoa! 7 or 8 bags?!?!? That is nuts! Thank you for the advice. Makes sense for rewearing evening clothes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to rewear clothing more than most. I don't work outside the home, and I'm rarely in the company of others, so if my clothes don't stink, I'll put them on again. Laundry conservation...LOL.

 

For cruises, I think of my daytime and evening wardrobes as two separate mini-travel wardrobes. I will definitely rewear the evening clothes more. I tend to like dresses for the evening. I'm generally active during the day and I end up having to rush to get ready for dinner. I prefer to be DOING and I'm not that interested in taking too much time out of my day to primp for dinner...so I appreciate just grabbing a dress and then, voila!, suddenly dressed...and often looking nicer than I ever do with separates. So I hope for the best while eating dinner and generally plan to wear my evening dresses twice or more. A few of my dresses are more like sundresses, so after I wear them in the evening...I might wear them during the day later in the cruise.

 

For daywear, I usually just wear activewear. If the bottoms are a loose style...then I can wear those probably way too many times...LOL. The loose style tends to not stink as much as the tighter legging type styles...and as I said before...stink is my barometer. For real though...I'd probably bring 2-3 daytime bottoms for a week long cruise.

 

For tops, I tend to prefer sleeveless tops...and frankly, those don't end up stinking as much...so unless I actually hit the gym, I'd rewear those tops too. 

 

I will say though...I basically empty my underwear drawer into my packing cubes. I tend to over pack underwear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't feel bad I pack like that too be trying to bring my entire closet with me knowing good well I'm not wearing half the things I brought along with me but Ilit all depends on my mood and what not when I choose to wear something haha.

 

But the last cruise I did good I only came back with 3 dresses not worn and 2 rompers not worn. 

 

I kept wearing my blue jean shorts and used my one piece swim suits as tops with my bermuda shorts and capris I also had two swim tops with long sleeves and used those as tops .

 

I'm slowly learning to pack less clothes hahah.

On 1/9/2020 at 9:52 PM, Jenner9 said:

I am going for 9 days and I have 16 packed! 😲🤪😲 This why I am trying to pack lighter! 😂 I overpack! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't feel bad I pack like that too be trying to bring my entire closet with me knowing good well I'm not wearing half the things I brought along with me but Ilit all depends on my mood and what not when I choose to wear something haha.

 

But the last cruise I did good I only came back with 3 dresses not worn and 2 rompers not worn. 

 

I kept wearing my blue jean shorts and used my one piece swim suits as tops with my bermuda shorts and capris I also had two swim tops with long sleeves and used those as tops .

 

I'm slowly learning to pack less clothes hahah.

 

 

Oh yeah a cool trick buy some dresses on the islands .

 

 

On 1/9/2020 at 9:52 PM, Jenner9 said:

I am going for 9 days and I have 16 packed! 😲🤪😲 This why I am trying to pack lighter! 😂 I overpack! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading these posts, I am wondering if some of us just like to make our clothing choices while we are traveling thus packing more than we need while others of us make those choices before leaving home, only taking those items. For those of us who much prefer packing light, our choices before hand will reflect that. I am in that group. Have only traveled with a roll aboard for several years now, no matter the trip length. So, rewearing clothes is usually necessary. How many times depends on the item (bottoms more than tops), weather and activities. The reward is how easy it is to pack and keep everything organized. Being able to handle my own luggage is a plus also.  

 

I dont remember the post post about the 7 suitcases but I’m sure I’ve seen that couple in more than one airport!😚

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, purduemom1 said:

I am wondering if some of us just like to make our clothing choices while we are traveling

 

This is usually what people say when talking about being an "overpacker"...that is, some people like having choices. And it's more than weather related choices. My thoughts are that such people may have a relatively larger wardrobe to begin with and so it can be fun to bring along cruise related clothing and just choose while traveling depending on mood, etc.

 

I have a relatively small wardrobe to begin with. Currently I have two pairs of shorts! LOL...hard to overpack when you don't really have that many clothes to begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...