How many times do you rewear clothes?

Jenner9

When I lived in Europe, my European friends would always tell me that Americans like to wash the life out of their clothing.  The clothes in Europe *do* tend to be on the expensive side and washers small, so I sort of wondered if that was maybe why she said that.  Having said that though, I have learned to pack much smarter over the past several cruises.  I have a lot of lighter weight items and once I get to a point I'm happy with my weight, I intend to invest in a few more Merino wool shirts.  For now though, it's a few pairs of pants/, 2 dresses, a reversible skirt, 2 shorts and maybe 10 blouses.

I used to be all about choice, but these days it takes the wind out of my sails to have to do all that laundry when I return home.  I respect those who need to take it....believe me I do, but speaking for myself it's so easy to pack, embark and disembark with one carry on.  When we walk off the ship, it's so easy and freeing.  I'm not part of that madness of waiting for our number to be called so that we can find our bag.  It really has it's advantages.  We will be cruising in Europe this summer and doing a land tour as well, God willing.  I intend to only have a carry on for the two weeks we are there.  I will have to wash out a few things and I bought some items to be able to do that, but that will take no great time from our day.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, clo said:

I haven't owned a dress in decades probably. Too limiting.

Do you view them as limiting for styling or limiting for movement?  I love dresses and find they can be more flexible on cruises (if there is bloat or swelling) and scarves, sweaters, and jackets can change the look.

I understand others don't like them, just curious 🙂 

Good morning, I am not a dress gal either.  I never looked it in the sense of too limiting but more of I feel more comfy

in slacks…..years ago I did wear dresses (somewhat)  I just like pants better:classic_smile: (on me anyway).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Do you view them as limiting for styling or limiting for movement?  I love dresses and find they can be more flexible on cruises (if there is bloat or swelling) and scarves, sweaters, and jackets can change the look.

I understand others don't like them, just curious 🙂 

Whereas I find separates more flexible all the time. When traveling I'm guessing everything I wear goes multiple other things. I wore dresses (not wedding dresses) both times I married Bob but honestly can't think of any other times. I'm trying to remember how our daughters, now in their early 40s, dress and can't remember dresses either.

• Thanks 1

I wear a dress pretty much all the times others wear jeans and a shirt or shorts and a shirt, AND the times others might wear dresses. I don't like skirts nearly as much because I dislike waistbands 😉 As I always says, variety is the spice of life - how boring would it be if we all wore the same things??

• Like 2

Hmm now you all have me considering putting a dress in the case for 28-day So.Pacific coming up. Because my answer to the question is "I have a few tank-dresses I throw on only in the summer, when it's hot." I have a reversible one, B&W, that is dotted on one side and floral on the other. I would anticipate saving it for dinner, although it is not formal... 

My 38yo sister lives in dresses, she even brought only dresses (with tights) on a 2-wk cruise to Alaska. Takes all types!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, clo said:

I haven't owned a dress in decades probably. Too limiting.

Never have a found a dress limiting....first and foremost, I look good in them....actually better than what I feel is much easier for me, speaking of pants.  There are all sorts of ways to dress them up, they take up very little space for me in my suitcase.  When it comes to pants, I have to look for blouses to match, accessories and shoes.  Most of my flats will go with every dress I own.  I can't say that for my pants.  Everyone has their preference though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, islandgirlejfan said:

Never have a found a dress limiting....first and foremost, I look good in them....actually better than what I feel is much easier for me, speaking of pants.  There are all sorts of ways to dress them up, they take up very little space for me in my suitcase.  When it comes to pants, I have to look for blouses to match, accessories and shoes.  Most of my flats will go with every dress I own.  I can't say that for my pants.  Everyone has their preference though.

I may have mentioned this. Almost all my clothes are solid colors so they mix and match anywhere from fantastic to fine. I could wear one skirt and one pair of pants just about forever. Dressy and casual. Same with tops. Maybe five. Two pairs of flats, one for casual and one for dressy. 

5 hours ago, clo said:

I may have mentioned this. Almost all my clothes are solid colors so they mix and match anywhere from fantastic to fine. I could wear one skirt and one pair of pants just about forever. Dressy and casual. Same with tops. Maybe five. Two pairs of flats, one for casual and one for dressy. 

That's what makes us us individuals....we all have what suits us.  My home wardrobe differs greatly from what I wear on a cruise.  The 60's were impressive to me and my everyday wardrobe reflects that.  My cruise wardrobe is minimalistic and darker in color.  I tend to put my efforts into accessories.  I don't even know what the word thin is, because it's something I've never been!  I tend to accentuate the features of myself that I know are strong.  I have great shaped legs, so dresses work for me.  Skirts do not work the same.  I want to like them, but they just don't look good...most look frumpy.   I have had one in my life that was amazing looking on me....it was tweed and had thin, black belt.  I wore it in my high school days- late 70's.  I matched it with a white cowl neck blouse and a star stick pin.  That's how well I remember it.  The one I  am taking on this trip I just bought is reversible and embraces my hippy side.   I simply it because having lived in Europe, I know I can wear it into churches and cathedrals and not feel out of place.

• Like 1

Since I live in a CA climate that is very warm during Summer and early Fall, I basically take my Summer tops with me when I cruise.  Except, I have over 60 of them!  Yep, I'm a sucker for a gorgeous blouse.  To keep myself from breaking the bank, I buy almost all my clothes from Ebay and alter them to fit better. I also like to take a variety of jackets for evenings on cruises.  How do I pull this off when traveling?  The fabric of choice is chiffon, georgette, and very lightweight fabrics.  I take around 10 daytime tops, and a jacket/top for each evening of the cruise, including dressier for formal nights.  All this doesn't weigh more than about 5 - 7 lbs of my suitcase's 50 lb limit. So, there's little repeating tops, and I have my choices available.

I take basic knit pants (no dresses) to wear with the tops:  black, brown, white.  Capris are 2 black, 2 white, and one tan. I also take camis for under the tops:  1 black, 1 white, and 1 blue (many of my tops are blue prints).

I hand wash or send out my undies and camis, and send out pants/capris as needed to the laundry.

Even if I cruise in Europe, these clothes work with layered outer wear.  I have my trusty microfiber travel jacket, and I add a zipper knit vest under it for more warmth.  So, with a cami, lightweight top, the vest and the jacket, I can be warm even in 45 degree weather, which is common on the dock in the early mornings.

• Like 3