medication

rosacar

I don’t think P&O would have any problem with you taking prescribed medication onboard, but it should be in its original packaging. It is very different when you take medication ashore though as some very mundane medication prescribed in the UK could see you arrested in some countries if you are found in possession. As Harry says, a very tricky area. Have you considered asking your GP?

Les.

4 hours ago, rosacar said:

does anyone know if there are any restrictions r/e taking oromorph for pain on board P&o cruise to the med.

You need to get a doctors headed letter stating this is for you with copies of your prescription attached to the letter.

16 hours ago, Les_ldh said:

I don’t think P&O would have any problem with you taking prescribed medication onboard, but it should be in its original packaging. It is very different when you take medication ashore though as some very mundane medication prescribed in the UK could see you arrested in some countries if you are found in possession. As Harry says, a very tricky area. Have you considered asking your GP?

Les.

I will do that thank You

16 hours ago, john watson said:

Have you got a prescription advice note to show it has been prescribed to you and disclosing the medical practice/doctor who issued it?  Is is an ex-Southampton Med Cruise?

Regards John

Haven t done anything yet and yes sailing out of southampton.

6 minutes ago, Slugsta said:

I pack my Oramorph without a second thought, it is not classed as a 'Controlled Drug'. I do tend to leave it on board though (I don't do full-day excursions).

Oramorph may not be on the controlled drugs list in the UK but it contains morphine and I’d be extremely careful about taking it into any country outside the UK without careful checking.

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Oramorph may not be on the controlled drugs list in the UK but it contains morphine and I’d be extremely careful about taking it into any country outside the UK without careful checking.

Do you have to inform insurance and cruise company that you are taking it.

1 hour ago, rosacar said:

Do you have to inform insurance and cruise company that you are taking it.

Tell your insurance company all the medication you have to take and all health conditions in case you have to make a claim so they can't wriggle out of paying.

Doctors letter with prescription attached should suffice for P&O.

It is mainly Muslim countries like Dubai where even possession of Co-Codamol is a prison offence.

40 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Tell your insurance company all the medication you have to take and all health conditions in case you have to make a claim so they can't wriggle out of paying.

Doctors letter with prescription attached should suffice for P&O.

It is mainly Muslim countries like Dubai where even possession of Co-Codamol is a prison offence.

Co Codamol is fine in Dubai if you a prescription and a doctors letter.  Bit of a nuisance as our doctors will not now prescribe anything that can be bought over the counter, so probably need to ask for a private prescription as well as a letter.

We are transiting Dubai Airport going out later this month which is reputably OK, but are staying 4 nights on return and whilst I do not take Co Codamol regularly, I do have issues at times when I really need it.  Not sure whether to just ditch it on the return and hope for the best, or to take a few tablets in with the hope they will not be found, which is highly unlikely.  I do not see them putting me in prison for that (though would have them taken away) as what they are bothered about is stuff being taken in to supply others rather than anything for private use.

We went there three years ago and I would have had some with me then.  Publicity certainly seems to have been upped since then - even on the FOC website, but the only time there has been anyone reported in the news as getting into serious trouble is if they have possession of a lot of a particular medication.  I think the real problem is if people have a lot of tablets with them that are seen on a scan, so they look further.  Will have to think a bit or just see how I feel when we go there. 

4 hours ago, tring said:

Co Codamol is fine in Dubai if you a prescription and a doctors letter.  Bit of a nuisance as our doctors will not now prescribe anything that can be bought over the counter, so probably need to ask for a private prescription as well as a letter.

We are transiting Dubai Airport going out later this month which is reputably OK, but are staying 4 nights on return and whilst I do not take Co Codamol regularly, I do have issues at times when I really need it.  Not sure whether to just ditch it on the return and hope for the best, or to take a few tablets in with the hope they will not be found, which is highly unlikely.  I do not see them putting me in prison for that (though would have them taken away) as what they are bothered about is stuff being taken in to supply others rather than anything for private use.

We went there three years ago and I would have had some with me then.  Publicity certainly seems to have been upped since then - even on the FOC website, but the only time there has been anyone reported in the news as getting into serious trouble is if they have possession of a lot of a particular medication.  I think the real problem is if people have a lot of tablets with them that are seen on a scan, so they look further.  Will have to think a bit or just see how I feel when we go there. 

Seems like if it is for you only bring a small quantity with your repeat prescription and doctors letter.

43 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Seems like if it is for you only bring a small quantity with your repeat prescription and doctors letter.

Ok I went on a bit with things in my mind at the moment, but my point is that Co Codamol is not on the banned list at all, but is controlled, so it is perfectly legal to take a months supply (or the amount for you full holiday if less than a month) into the UAE, along with a copy of a prescription and doctor's letter.  Ephedrine is also on the controlled list (Sudafed in the UK for instance), so same applies for that.  As you seem to realise there is also a prohibited list - things like heroin and cannabis, which are ones I recognised.  It is quite an extensive list, though I have not heard of most things on it. 

I got to the list by searching through from the FOC site to the official UAE details, but it was very difficult to get to it so will post the link here in case anyone is interested:-  https://www.mohap.gov.ae/Files/MOH_Service/361/ANNEX TO TRAVELLERS GUIDELINES 08-04-2019.pdf.pdf   It may be useful for people booked on Oceana's winter season next year - well if it goes ahead that is.

Edited by tring

4 minutes ago, tring said:

Ok I went on a bit with things in my mind at the moment, but my point is that Co Codamol is not on the banned list at all, but is controlled, so it is perfectly legal to take a months supply (or the amount for you full holiday if less than a month) into the UAE, along with a copy of a prescription and doctor's letter.  Ephedrine is also on the controlled list (Sudafed in the UK for instance).  As you seem to realise there is also a prohibited list - things like heroin and cannabis, which are ones I recognised.  It is quite an extensive list, though I have not heard of most things on it. 

I got to the list by searching through from the FOC site to the official UAE details, but it was very difficult to get to it so will post the link here in case anyone is interested:-  https://www.mohap.gov.ae/Files/MOH_Service/361/ANNEX TO TRAVELLERS GUIDELINES 08-04-2019.pdf.pdf

There was a case of a lady from Middlesbrough which was highlighted in the media who was jailed for possession of co codamol in Dubai but maybe she was carrying to much.

I only found out about the doctor's note and prescription list when I had to get mine from the doctor last Friday.

33 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

There was a case of a lady from Middlesbrough which was highlighted in the media who was jailed for possession of co codamol in Dubai but maybe she was carrying to much.

I only found out about the doctor's note and prescription list when I had to get mine from the doctor last Friday.

I have no memory about an address in Middlesborough, but there was a very well publicised case (I think within the last year) of a woman taking in very large quantities, supposedly as a long term supply for her boyfriend who was living there, so that was definitely illegal regards quantity and also because it was not for her own use and she did not have documentation.  That is what they particularly do not want to happen.  It also makes one wonder how much pain her boyfriend was actually in - or was the pain more to do with not having drugs to peddle..........    I could be wrong but just sounds suspicious.

It is also illegal to have enough for yourself without the documentation, but not sure what they would actually do, though technically you could still be severely punished.

One big problem I did have was in Cuba after an accident when I found that straight forward paracetamol was not available, even from a doctor.  I could only get Ibruprofin along with the tablets that are used to protect the stomach, but that still causes me a lot of problems and they were also totally ineffective.  I am not sure if the lack of paracetamol was because it was not allowed or if they could just not get hold of it.  Cuba will say they have good healthcare, but there is a lot of drugs they cannot get hold of which we consider standard over here.  Their system is more like it was here in the fifties.  It is worse for their nationals as anything they can get is primarily given to tourists to make money - there are totally different health systems for their nationals and tourists.  We loved Cuba and been 3 times, but would be loathe to go back after my husband nearly lost his eyesight to shingles for the want of some acyclovir tablets, which would have been prescribed straight away if at home.  

Edited by tring

48 minutes ago, tring said:

I have no memory about an address in Middlesborough, but there was a very well publicised case (I think within the last year) of a woman taking in very large quantities, supposedly as a long term supply for her boyfriend who was living there, so that was definitely illegal regards quantity and also because it was not for her own use and she did not have documentation.  That is what they particularly do not want to happen.  It also makes one wonder how much pain her boyfriend was actually in - or was the pain more to do with not having drugs to peddle..........    I could be wrong but just sounds suspicious.

It is also illegal to have enough for yourself without the documentation, but not sure what they would actually do, though technically you could still be severely punished.

One big problem I did have was in Cuba after an accident when I found that straight forward paracetamol was not available, even from a doctor.  I could only get Ibruprofin along with the tablets that are used to protect the stomach, but that still causes me a lot of problems and they were also totally ineffective.  I am not sure if the lack of paracetamol was because it was not allowed or if they could just not get hold of it.  Cuba will say they have good healthcare, but there is a lot of drugs they cannot get hold of which we consider standard over here.  Their system is more like it was here in the fifties.  It is worse for their nationals as anything they can get is primarily given to tourists to make money - there are totally different health systems for their nationals and tourists.  We loved Cuba and been 3 times, but would be loathe to go back after my husband nearly lost his eyesight to shingles for the want of some acyclovir tablets, which would have been prescribed straight away if at home.  

We are lucky to have our NHS and ready supply of medicine.

Pauline and I have both had shingles on our chest and quick treatment with antiviral tablets helped enormously.

That must have been painful for your husband and hopefully he is okay now.

We have been to Dubai 3 times pre-cruise and had a great time every time.

We usually only carry Aspirin, paracetamol and ibuprofen but since having a coronary Stent fitted December 20 I have several medicines I now have to take and had to get the doctors note and copy of prescription in case I am questioned 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We are lucky to have our NHS and ready supply of medicine.

Pauline and I have both had shingles on our chest and quick treatment with antiviral tablets helped enormously.

That must have been painful for your husband and hopefully he is okay now.

We have been to Dubai 3 times pre-cruise and had a great time every time.

We usually only carry Aspirin, paracetamol and ibuprofen but since having a coronary Stent fitted December 20 I have several medicines I now have to take and had to get the doctors note and copy of prescription in case I am questioned 

The problem is that it was very near his eye and after a while the eye closed tight, so it had to be forced open to insert anti viral cream.  After a day or two I could not manage that and the hotel nurses came regularly to apply the cream - even in the middle of the night.  He was very borderline for going blind in that eye, but the the only permanent effect is very dry eyes.  The shingles was also over his head - in hair etc. and he had to put cream on that.  He is ok now but did have a lot of head pains and also spasmodic after pains which went on for about a year.  All because of lack of treatment at the right time.  It is easy to forget how lucky we are with health care.

I hope you are OK now and that you enjoy your holiday - sounds like you need a good rest,

Barbara

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tring said:

The problem is that it was very near his eye and after a while the eye closed tight, so it had to be forced open to insert anti viral cream.  After a day or two I could not manage that and the hotel nurses came regularly to apply the cream - even in the middle of the night.  He was very borderline for going blind in that eye, but the the only permanent effect is very dry eyes.  The shingles was also over his head - in hair etc. and he had to put cream on that.  He is ok now but did have a lot of head pains and also spasmodic after pains which went on for about a year.  All because of lack of treatment at the right time.  It is easy to forget how lucky we are with health care.

I hope you are OK now and that you enjoy your holiday - sounds like you need a good rest,

Barbara

Thanks Barbara.

Our shingles was painful but it must have been awful for your husband.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday later this month.

Graham.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...