About Being Cautious in Rio and Salvador...

LostFan#1

I have been reading on these boards and elsewhere about crime in Rio and Salvador, and while I am not an alarmist, I will take precautions. We have traveled widely, including many large cities outside the US, and in these two cruise ship port visits, there will always be the two of us and perhaps 4 of us. I do not intend to take my phone into either city, but I do have this camera. Almost everything I read says not to take "expensive" cameras into Rio or Salvador, and I am wondering if this will be a target. It's a Canon SX40, digital with a small zoom lens. It is far from "expensive," say $170 used (I've had it many years). 

Thanks for your input,

Debbie

Canon.jpg

We were in Rio for the umpteenth time in early December and in San Francisco, where we used to live, over Christmas.  While not paranoid in SF we were more conscious of security there than Rio.

Have been to both salvador and rio numerous times.  Have spent time in rio for extended periods.  Yes use caution.  Personally i would not bring the camera.  I used my phone and tucked away when not using.  I do all my own private tours or explore on my own.   Now i would say the same for almost all south america ports.   Be smart.

Last year while travelling on 49 day SA cruise i heard personally from guest of robberies.  

Spent a few days in Rio last March. Took advice from my son (a musician who lived in Rio for a few years) not to stand out, so no loud clothes, flashy watches or jewellery, clothing with ship logo, etc. We stayed in a hotel away from the beach area where fewer tourists stay, and walked around without any trouble, though don’t go on the beach late at night. Some of the time I took my pocket camera, though where my large camera and lens were needed I took them out with me but kept them in a day pack (not camera bag) when not shooting.

We were in Salvador last month. We did not feel it was any different to any other port. We had planned to just walk about on our own but it was extremely hot so took a Costa ship tour which we enjoyed right up to the part when we were leaving the Mercado Modelo - a huge indoor market mostly clothes, jewelry, souvenirs etc. etc. and we were all on the side of the road waiting for the bus in the sun, and waiting, and waiting. 

Turned out the bus had been in an accident - the drivers side window smashed and the driver was delayed by the police for what felt like hours.

Luckily it was a ship tour as we were pretty well the last people back  onboard. 

We have been in Rio the past three days & have not felt unsafe anywhere—Copacabana, Sugarloaf, the Wetlands, Niterói...

Take precautions as you would in any large city and enjoy. I have used my camera & phone, then put them back in my bag when not using.  Have fun—fabulous city!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 2:10 PM, vakamalua said:

We have been in Rio the past three days & have not felt unsafe anywhere—Copacabana, Sugarloaf, the Wetlands, Niterói...

Take precautions as you would in any large city and enjoy. I have used my camera & phone, then put them back in my bag when not using.  Have fun—fabulous city!

This! We've spent months and months in Rio and have the same sense that you do. As I say "don't be where you shouldn't be when you shouldn't be there.

Wasnt the Niemeyer museum incredible?

• 4 weeks later...

General rule already mentioned before: no gold or gold look alike jewelry that can be ripped off your body, no obviously expensive finger rings, no expensive watch.  Put your camera away between taking pictures. We never had a problem exploring on our own or in tour groups in any of the places where some other passengers said they were mugged. 

Edited by Floridiana

On 2/25/2020 at 4:37 PM, Floridiana said:

General rule already mentioned before: no gold or gold look alike jewelry that can be ripped off your body, no obviously expensive finger rings, no expensive watch.  Put your camera away between taking pictures. We never had a problem exploring on our own or in tour groups in any of the places where some other passengers said they were mugged. 

We take those precautions in all big cities, don't you? Barcelona is the only place we got pickpocketed, both of us at the same time.

17 minutes ago, clo said:

We take those precautions in all big cities, don't you?

Pickpockets are more numerous in some parts of the world than in others. This is a cruise forum and on ships I met ladies with lots of expensive jewelry planning to wear it ashore. 

So far we have never been pickpocketed, but I was almost while I was distracted.  Somebody else yelled loud and clear and chased the bunch of kids away that had surrounded me in Strasbourg. They pushed newspaper clippings into my face. I haven't heard of that trick again but of many others.

Bird poop or mustard. Oh no!

According to travelers' reports, in certain South American cities, the thief may just rip your gold necklace off. It happened to one MS Amsterdam passenger on this year's world cruise. The couple negotiated with a taxi driver in Rio in front of the cruise terminal. Two young people on a moped drove up, ripped the necklace and drove off. I read it on their blog.

10 minutes ago, Floridiana said:

Bird poop or mustard. Oh no!

According to travelers' reports, in certain South American cities, the thief may just rip your gold necklace off. It happened to one MS Amsterdam passenger on this year's world cruise. The couple negotiated with a taxi driver in Rio in front of the cruise terminal. Two young people on a moped drove up, ripped the necklace and drove off. I read it on their blog.

Yes, quite common. A friend of mine had her gold chain necklace ripped off in Argentina. Another common way for people on scooters is to grab your purse or bag as you walk along. Just keep away from the curb and keep a good grip on things or wear a purse across your body.