Rip Off Britain - Holidays

babs135

Anyone watch the programme on Monday and end up yelling at the usually reliable Simon Calder for giving out slightly iffy information?  He was talking about ways to reduce the cost of your cruise holiday and suggested that as ship excursions can be so expensive you would be better booking a private operator or basically just doing it yourself.  

And then he said:

Don't forget to put your watch to the local time as if you are late the ship won't wait.

Surely he should have said, or at least added, check if you are on the ship's time or local time?

We've visited ports where the captain has clearly stated that people going ashore should keep to the ship time and not the local time.

I am not sure of the show you refer to but we have many that sound similar and provide information that at best is iffy and often just  plain wrong. I am not sure who is actually behind the making of these infomercials, surely it cannot be the cruise line itself as they would want correct information provided.

On 1/8/2020 at 9:59 AM, babs135 said:

We've visited ports where the captain has clearly stated that people going ashore should keep to the ship time and not the local time.

Which cruise line is this? I know you sometimes sail Cunard (same as me) and they always change the ship's time to local time.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I am not sure of the show you refer to but we have many that sound similar and provide information that at best is iffy and often just  plain wrong. I am not sure who is actually behind the making of these infomercials, surely it cannot be the cruise line itself as they would want correct information provided.

It's a consumer programme on the BBC called "Rip Off Britain".

Simon Calder is a travel expert/broadcaster/writer who comes on and gives current travel information on the News and consumer programmes.

2 hours ago, Ray66 said:

Which cruise line is this? I know you sometimes sail Cunard (same as me) and they always change the ship's time to local time.

We did an Australia/New Zealand cruise with Royal Caribbean and if I remember correctly it was our stop in Adelaide where we were told to stay on ship time.

On 1/8/2020 at 9:59 AM, babs135 said:

Anyone watch the programme on Monday and end up yelling at the usually reliable Simon Calder for giving out slightly iffy information?  He was talking about ways to reduce the cost of your cruise holiday and suggested that as ship excursions can be so expensive you would be better booking a private operator or basically just doing it yourself.  

And then he said:

Don't forget to put your watch to the local time as if you are late the ship won't wait.

Surely he should have said, or at least added, check if you are on the ship's time or local time?

Depends if your straddling time zones etc 

On 1/8/2020 at 10:36 PM, Bloodgem said:

I must live in a different world but when is £20 to uncork a bottle of wine considered reasonable?

It is cheaper to  take your £5 bottle of wine aboard and pay corkage (Princess $15) than to buy your £5 bottle of wine aboard at $34 !!!!!!