Advice for first timers?

Jam16

Hi, Glad to have found this forum.  We board on Feb 8, which is just around the corner!  We booked way back last April, so this has been a long time coming!  Any advice to help make our first trip as amazing as it can be?  We've traveled quite a bit, but never on a cruise, yacht, etc.   I'm wondering about the smaller details, like are irons/steamers available to press our clothing, is laundry an option (we're spending 3 nights in St. Thomas pre-yacht).  Also, are there enough hangers in the closet?   What's the tender like?  Do people return to the ship for lunch, or do most spend the whole day on shore?    Also, is it worth spending the night on the dream beds?  Seems cool in concept, but I doubt it's conducive to quality sleep (noise and lights)?     Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Jam16 said:

Hi, Glad to have found this forum.  We board on Feb 8, which is just around the corner!  We booked way back last April, so this has been a long time coming!  Any advice to help make our first trip as amazing as it can be?  We've traveled quite a bit, but never on a cruise, yacht, etc.   I'm wondering about the smaller details, like are irons/steamers available to press our clothing, is laundry an option (we're spending 3 nights in St. Thomas pre-yacht).  Also, are there enough hangers in the closet?   What's the tender like?  Do people return to the ship for lunch, or do most spend the whole day on shore?    Also, is it worth spending the night on the dream beds?  Seems cool in concept, but I doubt it's conducive to quality sleep (noise and lights)?     Thanks! 

You will have a blast.  As to irons/steamers I don't remember ever seeing that option.  There is no self serve laundry but they will do a great job for you for a price.  DW takes a small steamer with her most times.  Extra hangers are available by asking your cabin attendant.  Tenders are small and can be fast.  They rarely wait to get full like so many other lines.  Often Lois and I are the only two being tendered.  Plenty of help getting on and off if needed.  Lunch is a mixed call, you will see both.  Sometimes seems silly to spend $$$ ashore when you have great food waiting.  For us usually depends on what we are doing that day.  You guessed right on the sleeping outdoors.  Great to start but we woke after two hours damp and chilled.  Not sure if it was dew or we got rained on.  Haha, probably too much Top of the Yacht time.  And the TOY can go on till the wee hours.  Make you a deal, take us with you and we will be "personal SeaDream trainers"......😎

• Like 1

On SD II now and found a new laundry deal. For $199 you get unlimited laundry service. Does not include dry cleaning, but we didn’t bring anything that can’t be laundered. We had four days in port before the cruise so we decided it is a good deal, especially if you consider you can just put almost everything away when you get home. 

Irons are never allowed on ships for safety reasons. 

Main thing to know about SD is to ask if you want something.  Don’t wait around to be asked, the staff are very accommodating but are not mind readers...

As an example, was up on deck at 4am watching sail away and wanted coffee.  Just picked up the phone at the empty TOY bar and asked room service for some.  They brought a full service and some pastries up to the bar in minutes.

26 minutes ago, TrapperZimmy said:

On SD II now and found a new laundry deal. For $199 you get unlimited laundry service. Does not include dry cleaning, but we didn’t bring anything that can’t be laundered. We had four days in port before the cruise so we decided it is a good deal, especially if you consider you can just put almost everything away when you get home. 

Irons are never allowed on ships for safety reasons. 

Hi Trapper.  I know y'all are enjoying the sun.  Are Ho-Hum and Blondie behaving?  Wish we were with y'all.  Maybe this fall/winter.  Btw, Viking Ocean ships have irons and boards set up in each passenger laundry space.  

20 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

You will have a blast.  As to irons/steamers I don't remember ever seeing that option.  There is no self serve laundry but they will do a great job for you for a price.  DW takes a small steamer with her most times.  Extra hangers are available by asking your cabin attendant.  Tenders are small and can be fast.  They rarely wait to get full like so many other lines.  Often Lois and I are the only two being tendered.  Plenty of help getting on and off if needed.  Lunch is a mixed call, you will see both.  Sometimes seems silly to spend $$$ ashore when you have great food waiting.  For us usually depends on what we are doing that day.  You guessed right on the sleeping outdoors.  Great to start but we woke after two hours damp and chilled.  Not sure if it was dew or we got rained on.  Haha, probably too much Top of the Yacht time.  And the TOY can go on till the wee hours.  Make you a deal, take us with you and we will be "personal SeaDream trainers"......😎

Thanks so much for the great advice!  I'm glad to hear that the tender is pretty quick. 

Edited by Jam16

19 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Main thing to know about SD is to ask if you want something.  Don’t wait around to be asked, the staff are very accommodating but are not mind readers...

As an example, was up on deck at 4am watching sail away and wanted coffee.  Just picked up the phone at the empty TOY bar and asked room service for some.  They brought a full service and some pastries up to the bar in minutes.

This is great advice.  Thank you!  Wow, 4am?   I'm certain we'll never be in that situation.  LOL.

Lucky you!  Enjoy your vacation.  Thanks for letting me know about that laundry deal.  That doesn't sound too bad.  We have 3 days in St. Thomas pre-cruise, so this may be something to consider. 

Anyone have any other tips, advice, or words of wisdom?     

Yes, as this is your first cruise (of many to come I bet), don’t overthink it, and don’t have any expectations.  Just soak in the vibe and enjoy each new experience.  And don’t be in a rush to “see and do everything” 😉

As to being up at 4am, jet lag and the excitement of being on a cruise can play havoc with your sleep cycle the first few days.  Plus, a full moon sail-away from old San Juan should not be missed (assuming it is on one’s itinerary).

On 1/9/2020 at 8:42 AM, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

PS - Don’t over-pack 🙂  Especially if you take the laundry option.  And bring your own snorkel...

Haha, Hi Raggy.   You mean you don't share snorkels?  What a great way to meet people.....Are you looking to book SD this fall/winter?  We always had good results Thanksgiving week or the week after.  Before schools let out the little darlins for Christmas.  Ho-Hum always seems to be on for New Years so we might lurk that one as well.  🍸

On 1/9/2020 at 9:42 AM, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

PS - Don’t over-pack 🙂  Especially if you take the laundry option.  And bring your own snorkel...

I'm guaranteed to over-pack!    Are the snorkels not decent?  I can't imagine decent snorkeling off the back of the ship.  Can you take them off the boat?  I'm not a huge snorkeler, but might in St. John.  Doesn't seem worth bringing ours just for one port? 

Jim, any cruising depends on the situation with “the pony”.  But it sure would be fun to surprise ho-hum....

Jam16, imagine chomping on a snorkel just used by 100 strangers, caked with lip balm embedded with who knows what viruses, etc.  These things may get a quick rinse, and if you are lucky a dunk in a bucket with a little bleach.  Leave your mask and fins home, but bring your own snorkel...  And don’t forget an extra large plastic bag to slip into before sitting in the jaccuzzi...

• Haha 1

PPS -  Since you have not cruised before and likely don’t know if you are prone to seasickness, get your doctor to give you a prescription for the scopolamine patch.  Put one on behind your ear the evening before embarkation and leave it on the first few days.  It will slowly lose its effect over several days but you will have gained your “sea legs” by then and will likely need no further seasick meds.  The patch may give you a bit of a dry mouth initially - but Seadream is open-bar 🤪

• Like 1

A question on sea sickness.  I've never had an issue with smaller boats on open seas (whale watching, fishing boats, catamarans, etc in both the Atlantic and Pacific), would this be different?  My husband will for sure use the patch, but I figured that I'd be fine.  Perhaps not?

18 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Jim, any cruising depends on the situation with “the pony”.  But it sure would be fun to surprise ho-hum....

Jam16, imagine chomping on a snorkel just used by 100 strangers, caked with lip balm embedded with who knows what viruses, etc.  These things may get a quick rinse, and if you are lucky a dunk in a bucket with a little bleach.  Leave your mask and fins home, but bring your own snorkel...  And don’t forget an extra large plastic bag to slip into before sitting in the jaccuzzi...

How I wish Hum would be back with his daily updates to give me my morning laugh. With all that is going on with the Royals right now, his humor would be greatly appreciated. At least I have you to provide a smile.

I am done with that other cruise line and now crazy board.  It has turned into a Boones Farm group that most likely are having Flashbacks. 😉 

Heading out to the slopes now. Have a nice weekend everyone.

10 hours ago, Jam16 said:

A question on sea sickness.  I've never had an issue with smaller boats on open seas (whale watching, fishing boats, catamarans, etc in both the Atlantic and Pacific), would this be different?  My husband will for sure use the patch, but I figured that I'd be fine.  Perhaps not?

Sounds like you will be fine without the patch.  I only use them if I know the first night is going to have very rough seas.  And I usually peel it off the second day.  The key with the patch, if you think you’ll need one, is to apply it the day before you embark.

33 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Perhaps a bottle of Petrus will limber up his fingers to type 😉

Maybe one for you and one for me and Hum will make it 3? Not sure Jim is a fan of mine anymore because I did not like Viking? If he forgives me we can make it 4. xoxo

13 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Maybe one for you and one for me and Hum will make it 3? Not sure Jim is a fan of mine anymore because I did not like Viking? If he forgives me we can make it 4. xoxo

Always a fan Contessa.  Viking suited us for a couple of long hauls not offered at SeaDream.  Would I change some things, of course.  Heck I would change a few things at SD too, if I could..😎🍸

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Always a fan Contessa.  Viking suited us for a couple of long hauls not offered at SeaDream.  Would I change some things, of course.  Heck I would change a few things at SD too, if I could..😎🍸

After reflection, Viking may have been a one off due to change over in crew. I typically sailed Oceania, but based on the people posting on that Board, I think it is the New "O".  As a friend of ours stated, old hippies and bad food.   Not going back there and Viking does have beautiful ships. 

Help choosing a ship?

I have yet to sail Sea Dream, but only Windstar and Oceania several times in recent past. All three are sailing similar Mediterranean itineraries September 2020 and since I have no point of reference for Sea Dream would appreciate input. I love Wind Surf and O's Sirena for different reasons but right now giving the edge to Wind Surf. Realize that Sea Dream II is luxury class vs. the others premium, but right now pricing with Sea Dream's extra amenities is close enough to the others that I'd consider it. If there is anyone who has sailed all three in recent past would love to hear your thoughts.

PS. And while I'm quite fond of O, I'm not an old hippie as previously referenced, and appreciate fine dining on O. Yet I'm sure Dream is a notch above.

Thanks for your kind help.

Edited by Petoonya

Just got home last night after having our flight to Chicago cancelled on Saturday.  Had to o/n in Charlotte.  Could have been worse.  Travel insurance will cover the hotel.  Don't leave home without it.

This particular itinerary was not my favorite.  Back in the day when Zimmy and I snorkeled, it would have been great.  But I am not really a beach person, so Grenada was probably the best port of the week.  Seas were pretty calm except for the last night sailing from Mayreau to Barbados.  It was a rough trip with gale force winds, and packing took three times as long as it should have.  Each time I bent over to put something in the suitcase, I had to lie down afterwards.  And that was with a Bonine.

We didn't add up what the laundry bill would have been, but it would easily run over $200, even if we took our 10 free pieces.  It was nice to just put everything away when we got home.  Only stuff to wash now is what we wore the last couple of days when it was too late for the laundry.

When we did snorkel, we brought our own masks, snorkels, fins and vests.  We liked the snorkels with a valve at the top, which the ship does not have.  There always seems to be plenty of gear on the ship, and you are welcome to take them on excursions or going to the beach on your own.  But I agree with Ragnar about sharing equipment.  In addition to the mouthpiece, most people just spit in the masks to prevent fogging.  At least, that is what we did, but they were our own masks.  Some of the excursions provide equipment, including inflatable vests.  At some point we stopped bringing the fins, but it was hard to find a pair that fit as well as our own.

Ho-Hum and Blondie were very well behaved.  Unlike another couple who chose to skinny dip during cocktails.  I suspect they won't be on board again.

And I must add, the crew was exceptional, as usual.  New chef passed my test.  To echo what Jim says, feel free to modify the menus.  The croque monsieur on the menu easily becomes a croque madame, for instance.  If they can do it, they will.

We went on our first Sea Dream last February, similar itinerary.  I packed 4 pair of pants for my husband.  We were fortunate enough to have dinner every night but one outside, so he could wear shorts for dinner.  We had pretty calm seas the entire cruise.  Tenders were fine most of the time.  We stayed on board at St. Barths because it was so rough.  We ate lunch mostly on board.  Most of the islands we had been to previously, so we spent more time on board than most people.  I really enjoyed just hanging at the pool.  We normally just vacation in St. John, but decided on the cruise last year.  If you haven't been to St. John, you will love it!! Two of the beach bars just opened this week after being closed 2 years because of the hurricanes!  Enjoy your trip!!

36 minutes ago, Katbird93 said:

We went on our first Sea Dream last February, similar itinerary.  I packed 4 pair of pants for my husband.  We were fortunate enough to have dinner every night but one outside, so he could wear shorts for dinner.  We had pretty calm seas the entire cruise.  Tenders were fine most of the time.  We stayed on board at St. Barths because it was so rough.  We ate lunch mostly on board.  Most of the islands we had been to previously, so we spent more time on board than most people.  I really enjoyed just hanging at the pool.  We normally just vacation in St. John, but decided on the cruise last year.  If you haven't been to St. John, you will love it!! Two of the beach bars just opened this week after being closed 2 years because of the hurricanes!  Enjoy your trip!!

Thanks for your advice!   I'd love to know what beach bars are open. I'm really looking forward to St. John.  We have three nights in St. Thomas pre-cruise, and I'm tempted to hop over to St. John to get an extra day there.   We'll head over to Magen's Bay in St. Thomas for a bit.  The rest of the time we're going to enjoy the resort.  Is it worth having a 2nd day in St. John?  So many beaches look amazing:  Honeymoon, Trunk, Cinnamon, Maho.   Not booking an excursion, and will either do our own thing or see what our new friends are doing.  These cruises seem to be pretty social.