Silversea Air

traveling6pack

We are booked for a Caribbean sailing in November with the included air.  We normally do our own air, but getting from Austin to Barbados is a bit of challenge, so we thought we might have Silversea do this.  When can you request air schedules and book flights?  Can you request specific flights?   What is the air deviation fee, as we will be going to Barbados a couple of days early?  Any suggestions or experiences you've had with their air would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, did you book directly through SS? Or did you use a TA? If you used a TA I think they are going to

have to intercede on your behalf.  As for deviation fees? I don't think that has to do with when you go, but rather,

if the airport you need is not specifically offered.  Timing of the booking? You are sailing in November? I think you

have a few months to go before they can do anything yet.  But if you booked directly through SS, I would call

them directly about your concerns.

There’s good info here regarding air whether it’s biz class or econ..  But in short, you can definitely request your flights and then see if they fall within the standard fee structure of SS Air. On my most recent booking my requested flights did not but even with the air deviation fee plus extra airfare I still saved a lot of money.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, traveling6pack said:

We are booked for a Caribbean sailing in November with the included air.  We normally do our own air, but getting from Austin to Barbados is a bit of challenge, so we thought we might have Silversea do this. 

Curious what the "challenge" is?  You can fly from AUS on AA with a single connection in MIA.  Or with a double connect on numerous routings and various other airlines as well.

matrix.itasoftware.com

Edited by FlyerTalker

We are also booked on a November sailing and find getting to Barbados to be a challenge even from Charlotte. Have not decided whether to go with Silversea air yet as we will not be in control of the flight timing. Worried they may include 2 stops as opposed to 1 stop. Deviation is $150 pp. We were told that SS will look at flights 200 days out. Still deciding..........

Suggest all of you trying to get to Barbados might look at Matrix and see just what is available -- in toto.

Whatever you see is the maximum of what you might find to get you to BGI, and know that Silversea (or any cruiseline) only will provide you with a subset of those alternatives.  Do you want to put that travel decision in someone else's hands?

When you have few alternatives, it is far better to take the bull by the horns and do it yourself.  Make your way to MIA and then AA to BGI.  Easiest way by far, especially from CLT where there are many AA flights into MIA.

Of course, one could always take the BA one-stop option from Austin.  Fly non-stop to Heathrow, then non-stop to Barbados.  Easy peasy.

1 hour ago, alwaysonaship said:

We are going to Lima JAN 2021 and the air deviation fee is not charged if you use one of their post cruise hotels. I normally would book our own, but the price was comparable. I thought the business class air was very reasonable.

Air inventory for Jan 2021 should not be in the GDS computers yet, so you are selecting a pig-in-a-poke on the basis of price.

We have just booked one with inter European BC airfares incorporated into the price.

They told us they would call nine months on advance of sailing.

The main ‘fly in the ointment’ is that we need to get from NCL to SOU and, as it stands, there is only one flight a day and it is all economy. Their preliminary suggestion was to fly to LHR and they would transport us down to Southampton by taxi. 
When I suggested we would prefer going the day before they said if we used their hotels they would honour the transfers.

I believe they quoted $50 pp for any deviation.

Plenty of time for things ro change though ..... this time next year in fact 🙄

3 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

We have just booked one with inter European BC airfares incorporated into the price.

They told us they would call nine months on advance of sailing.

The main ‘fly in the ointment’ is that we need to get from NCL to SOU and, as it stands, there is only one flight a day and it is all economy. Their preliminary suggestion was to fly to LHR and they would transport us down to Southampton by taxi. 
When I suggested we would prefer going the day before they said if we used their hotels they would honour the transfers.

I believe they quoted $50 pp for any deviation.

Plenty of time for things ro change though ..... this time next year in fact 🙄

That's a 283 mile flight.  And you are concerned about "economy"?  Even if you took BA from NCL to LHR, most of those flights are either all economy seating or the Euro-business "block the middle" which is of little value on such a short run.

Baggage allowance might be a factor, but I wonder if you put too much into the "it's economy" issue.

JMHO

I’m not concerned about economy flights at all ... they are 😀 They are selling a cruise with BC airfares so I pointed this anomaly out to them, very tongue in cheek I hasten to add, and they said they would look into it but said their initial thoughts were BA to LHR and an onward taxi.

The preference for me would Flybe, a direct flight , the baggage weight issue is easily sorted and I suspect they would book me extra baggage.

The BA club Europe, is as you have said economy with a coffee table and free sarnie 😀

I have no issues with SS at all and have every confidence they will sort it out.

6 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Air inventory for Jan 2021 should not be in the GDS computers yet, so you are selecting a pig-in-a-poke on the basis of price.

Excuse me. I am well aware of how far in advance you can physically have a reservation in your hand. To clarify, Silversea’s business class air add on for South America was decently priced. We are not talking air inventory and I am so sorry you were confused by my post.

1 hour ago, alwaysonaship said:

Excuse me. I am well aware of how far in advance you can physically have a reservation in your hand. To clarify, Silversea’s business class air add on for South America was decently priced. We are not talking air inventory and I am so sorry you were confused by my post.

Well excuse me too.  Somehow I could not, and did not, realize that you knew when reservations could be in your hand.  Apologies for any offense.