Making Phone Calls While In Port?

cal680

Could someone please give me some guidance on the capability of making phone calls (using a phone card) while in port? This is a last-minute thought and we leave this weekend to sail the Western Caribbean. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!:rolleyes:

Does anyone have cell service in the eastern Carr. while in ports?

I use Alltel in St. Thomas and San Juan, and if I remember correctlt St. Maarten.

Mine doesn't work in the Turks and Cacios.

At Freeport and Nassau, there were pay phones on the pier that advertised calling internationally. I dont know anyone that used them except I did see a few ship's crew on them. I checked my cell phone (Verizon) and it looked as though I was roaming in Nassau, but I didn't need to call anyone, so I didnt' try.

Most calling cards that you buy here in the states wont work in the various ports. your best bet is to wait til you board then ask the service people. The crew use the phones the most and will know where to tell you to head.

Not all cell services are the same. If taking a cell phone its better to call your company and ask. We have those Nextal ones and were told we could use them in our ports. We lost a signal as soon as we left Tampa and didnt get it back til we came back home.

I was in Belize, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman and Cozumel last week and have verizon wireless I did not have service but in Cozumel showed roaming and tried to call only to get disconnected. We had brought a calling card in which we could have used if we would have got the US special number before we left but did not know you needed that. So we paid the 9.50 per minute to use ship phone only because my grandma was in ccu before we left and wanted to know her condition.

The calling card I had was from sam's since being back we have the special code and can use on our next vacation.

hope this helps ......

i agree with serene the ship personel use the phoens the most so maybe they would be of help to you....

I was recently on the Miracle and had phone service in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya and Belize.

I made and rec'd calls in GC and dialed direct... In Costa Maya I only rec'd and Cozumel I rec'd and dialed and had to dial 001 and then the area code and number I wanted.

In Belize we only rec'd calls and never made any...

I am from Canada and trust me if my wireless phone company offers this service then most in the US would too...

Now on the ship I needed to be outisde on my balcony for it to show any roaming, once on land in these countries it was good to go..

In grand Cayman I even rec'd a text message from thier wireless company welcoming me to GC...

LOL

Good Luck..

Worked great from Grand Cayman - about $1.50/min. We also purchased an international phone card that would not work in GC but worked fine in Costa Maya.

These cards can be found on the web since it is not a travel company - a reputable site is callingcardplus dot com

Look up the country you want to call from - you buy the card, they e-mail you a pin and instructions. Worked great from Mexico for about .60/min

Archived