Hotel in Southampton - Walkable

bhsolo

I am deciding between two recommended CC hotels in Southampton - Novotel and Holiday Inn. I'll be arriving via National Express the day before from LHR to cruise on RCL. I would like to be able to walk around, explore and eat in Southampton after my arrival. So my wonderings are:

1) Is Novotel within walking distance of the bus station with a large piece of wheel luggage or is too cumbersome and I'll need a cab? It looks close enough to walk to as well as to walk into the city center but is that accurate?

2) For the Holiday Inn can I walk into the city center? Looking on Google Maps it says to be careful walking because it may not be true and the satellite does not show any sidewalks.

3) They are within 10 pounds of each other...is it worth paying a bit more for Holiday Inn?

Thank you!!

Edited by bhsolo

26 minutes ago, bhsolo said:

I am deciding between two recommended CC hotels in Southampton - Novotel and Holiday Inn. I'll be arriving via National Express the day before from LHR to cruise on RCL. I would like to be able to walk around, explore and eat in Southampton after my arrival. So my wonderings are:

1) Is Novotel within walking distance of the bus station with a large piece of wheel luggage or is too cumbersome and I'll need a cab? It looks close enough to walk to as well as to walk into the city center but is that accurate?

2) For the Holiday Inn can I walk into the city center? Looking on Google Maps it says to be careful walking because it may not be true and the satellite does not show any sidewalks.

3) They are within 10 pounds of each other...is it worth paying a bit more for Holiday Inn?

Thank you!!

Two years ago, we took coach from Victoria Coach Station in London to Southampton. We walked with our very large pieces of luggage, overhead suit cases and smaller items, from the coach station to the Novotel.  It's too close to even attempt to call a cab, the easy, safe walk took us about 10 minutes.  We were pleasantly surprised with the hotel and the size of our room. From the hotel, we walked to the old section of the city, along West Quay,  and stopped at Duke of Wellington for fish 'n chips.  On our way back, we had to check out the West Quay shopping mall and stopped at a wine shop very close to the hotel. I signed up for their hotel membership program [point click, agree, click] thus giving us a slightly lower rate - booked the room with breakfast, too.  The morning we checked out to head to the ship, the front desk called West Quay cab for us - the cab was at the front entry within a few minutes.

We are heading to a wedding in early April 2020, and I booked 2 rooms for 4 adults at member rate. Use the toll free number to discuss our needs. We'll be there for 5 nights. For ease of transfer from LHR, I have reserved a MPV through a car service and upon our return, I have arranged a custom transfer that includes my request for 3 hours at Hampton Court before going onto LHR for our evening flight back to Boston. 

When we travel, we like to experience a hotel outside of the USA comfort zone of familiarity.   Novotel's web site sold me, plus they have an indoor pool, restaurant and cocktail lounge, a very easy walk to pubs, restaurants and shopping. Oh, and as far as walking from the coach station, both DH and I are in our 7th decade and managed luggage without difficulty. 

Darcy

• Like 1

Another recommendation for the Novotel.

Novotel is a highly regarded hotel brand, part of the French Accor group--the world's largest hotel conglomerate. (Accor operates hundreds if not thousands of hotels around the world, with different brands at different price-points and levels of amenities, from very basic/super-budget to ultra luxury. In addition to such chain brands as Ibis, Mercure, and Novotel, they also own such famous historic hotels as the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec, the Princess Hotel in Hamilton, Bermuda, and Raffles in Singapore.)  Novotel is considered "mid-range"; I would rate it as superior to Holiday Inn or Hampton Inns & Suites.

A couple of comments about the location of the Southampton Novotel:  Not only is it very walkable from the Southampton Coach Station, it is even closer to Southampton Railway Station.  However, it is not in a "scenic" (and certainly not "historic") part of Southampton.  It is surrounded by large car parks (parking lots) and "big-box" retail stores--e.g., Ikea and the like.  (Unfortunately, much of present-day Southampton's appearance is a consequence of the attentions of the Luftwaffe in the early 1940s, which put paid to a large part of Southampton's medieval and Victorian heritage.)  But, leaving the hotel, keep walking in a generally south-easterly direction, and soon enough you will reach the historical district.        

Novotel is very easily walkable from the coach station with wheeled luggage.

But Hol Inn is easily walkable to RCI's berth, City Cruise Terminal. (the port gate alongside Hol Inn is closed when there's no ship in - so don't worry if you arrive in the evening & find it closed, it'll be open in good time in the morning.)

Actually, walking between either of those hotels and coach station and City Cruise Terminal isn't desperately difficult with luggage

Novotel is highly-rated. I've attended functions there, bar prices are heavy (but then so are most hotel bars, probably including Hol Inn).

Yes Hol Inn is dated. Its kon Tiki bar on the top floor was the "in" place when it was built in the 1970's. Had some renovations a year or two back, but IMHO it's an ugly & typically 1970's building.

But rooms at the front have views down Southampton Water, and rooms at the back look over the cruise terminal & ship. Mainly for that reason it's very popular with cruisers.

Hol Inn is also closer to the city centre shops and Southampton's few old-town sights like the Tudor House & haunts like the Duke of Wellington pub mentioned by Darcy. But Novotel is less than ten minutes further away.

BTW I don't understand your query about sidewalks (pavements). No worries from either hotel.

So, pros & cons for both. 

Or the Premier Inn West Quay. Mid-way between coach station and cruise terminal, and mid-way between Hol Inn & city centre.

Very well-respected hotel, in the UK's major budget hotel chain. Like Novotel and Hol Inn it lacks local character, for that you'd need to consider the Pig in the Wall or Ennio's or the Dolphin.

Because I'm a local, I know something about them all.

But because I'm a local I've never stayed at any of them.

Precis of city centre hotels here. None are more than a £10 taxi ride from coach station or city centre or cruise terminal

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in 2018. For us, it was walkable from the coach station and to the pier. Last year, we stayed in London and took the coach the morning of our cruise. That morning was rainy, and we shared a taxi with another couple going to the ship. 

I thought the Holiday Inn was fine for one night. We arrived mid-afternoon, just enough time to buy a couple of bottles of wine then have dinner at the Duke of Wellington. The breakfast buffet was extra, but a good buy if paid for when booking with the room.

Someone recommended Moxy's hotel; new and completed in 2019.  Part of Marriott Bonvoy. Hopefully we can take taxi (short ride) to Azamara on June 8.  Flying in on June 6.

Looking for best way to get from Heathrow Airport to Southampton Terminal.  

Travel Agent recommended the Leonardo Southampton Hotel or Mercure (something like that) but able to use 

Marriott points for Moxy's.  I hope this is a good choice, as it is near the West Quay Mall.

Please advise about transportation, etc.

1 hour ago, capezio said:

Someone recommended Moxy's hotel; new and completed in 2019.  Part of Marriott Bonvoy. Hopefully we can take taxi (short ride) to Azamara on June 8.  Flying in on June 6.

Looking for best way to get from Heathrow Airport to Southampton Terminal.  

Travel Agent recommended the Leonardo Southampton Hotel or Mercure (something like that) but able to use 

Marriott points for Moxy's.  I hope this is a good choice, as it is near the West Quay Mall.

Please advise about transportation, etc.

LHR to Southampton coach station by National Express bus.

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

You should pre-book, aim for a bus time at least 90 minutes after your scheduled landing time. Fares about £25

Or a pre-booked private transfer (not a cab hailed at the airport) should cost somewhere south of £100

Moxy's is next-door to Premier Inn West Quay, an easy and simple walk of under ten minutes from the coach station. Yes, it's close to to the big West Quay mall, and the main shopping street (Above Bar St) is at the other end of the Mall.

Carnival's UK main office is directly opposite Moxy's.

From Moxy's to City Cruise Terminal for Azamara ships is also a walk of under ten minutes.

I've been told that Moxy's is a quirky budget chain, not similar to other Marriot chains - you might want to check that out..

This route is from coach station to Moxy's to City Cruise Terminal (but you can cut through the carpark of Holiday Inn to avoid the dogleg to the roundabout shown on google's route. The route is all on level ground

https://goo.gl/maps/URqBepTK8Q5hQERP7

Edited by John Bull

Thank you for all of your help and good to know my initial reaction of Novotel was the right one. I found a great price for it, under $100 US, that was also cheaper than HI. Helpful to know about the location being big and boxy parking lot type so I know I'm in the right but safe area, that's fine for me. I like it's close enough to walk from the bus station and to Duke of Ellington, Tudor House and to keep exploring. Does Duke of Ellington get very crowded for lunch and dinner for 1 person?

JB...you have been so extremely helpful not only for me but for so many others. I wanted to update you that when I was pricing out a private car from Heathrow to Southampton it is now over £100. 

The Duke of Wellington isn't a large venue, but service is good and people come and go rather quickly. Order at the bar, find a seat - we've shared a table with other travelers and had delightful conversations.

I got a price of 129GBP for 4 adults LHR to Novotel - that's for a MPV for our luggage and all of us, etc. from Blackberry. 

Darcy

And thank you JB - all set with LHR to Novotel and our custom transfer back via Hampton Court.

Edited by WatchHill

1 hour ago, bhsolo said:

Thank you for all of your help and good to know my initial reaction of Novotel was the right one. I found a great price for it, under $100 US, that was also cheaper than HI. Helpful to know about the location being big and boxy parking lot type so I know I'm in the right but safe area, that's fine for me. I like it's close enough to walk from the bus station and to Duke of Ellington, Tudor House and to keep exploring. Does Duke of Ellington get very crowded for lunch and dinner for 1 person?

JB...you have been so extremely helpful not only for me but for so many others. I wanted to update you that when I was pricing out a private car from Heathrow to Southampton it is now over £100. 

It's certainly a  good 4-star hotel. And under $100 is excellent

"Duke of Ellington" reminds me of a pub I used to frequent - known by locals as the "ear and agged taff" due to the letters B, R, and S respectively being missing from its sign for years. :classic_biggrin:

Have checked back to see if I (or anyone else) had mis-typed. Nope - it's all down to you.:classic_tongue:

It's the Duke of Wellington. In 1815 Its name was changed from the Shipwright's Arms to the Duke of Wellington in honour of the guy after the Battle of Waterloo

It's not a big pub. Sometimes crowded, sometimes quiet.

You've got the option of walking a couple of hundred yards down the street (Bugle St) from the Duke to the waterfront, the Dancing Man is on the same side as the Duke of Wherever. Stone-built in the 14th century as a wool store, the building has had myriad uses over the centuries, incl tram depot, boat-builder, aircraft builder (not quite on the scale of Boeing :classic_wink:) and maritime museum, converted to a pub with micro-brewery a few years back.

https://www.dancingmanbrewery.co.uk/

Other restaurants & pubs along the waterfront.

Thanks for the update on LHR to So'ton transfer price. Can I ask who that was?

Oh my word, yes Wellington lol. Thinking I'll need to try out Duke of Wellington for one meal and Dancing Man for the other as the dessert menu looks mighty good too. Need some fish and chips plus sticky toffee pudding before I leave 😉

Unfortunately, I can't remember which car service but there were a few that were around that same price. I'll try to look tonight and let you know. 

• 5 months later...

I have stayed at Holiday Inn Herbert Walker (1x) and Premier Inn West Quay (3x), preferred Premier Inn West Quay.

We plan on staying in Southampton for 1-2 nights, cruising with Princess in August 2021.  We will be staying at Hilton Garden Terminal 2 after a late flight.  The next day, take the National Express from LHR to Southampton. We will use the National Express to visit an undecided city  yet.  

We will need 3 twin bed rooms.

After reading about Novel, would Novel be a better fit than Premier Inn West Quay?

20 hours ago, phabric said:

After reading about Novel, would Novel be a better fit than Premier Inn West Quay?

You'll know that 3* Premier Inn prices are friendly on the pocket, but you'll need deeper pockets for 4* Novotel - for any food or drink at the hotel as well as the room rate.

That said, the facilities at Novotel are superior (eg it has a pool) and I rate the value-for-money about the same. 

Novotel is more convenient for the train station, Premier Inn West Quay more convenient for the shops, pubs, restaurants  & the city's few historic sights. But it's only a 10-minute walk between the two, so not a major factor.

If one is offering promotional rates for your dates, perhaps choose that one.

But IMHO you'll not be disappointed with either.

• 2 months later...

Novotel gets good ratings and is reasonably priced and located and I was going to book it, but then looking carefully I noticed it does not have A/C in its rooms.  That is a deal buster for me and my DH.  No matter what time of year, we need our A/C!  I am staying in Southampton(hopefully) the end of June, 2021.  I found similar hotels (Jurys Inn and room2Southampton Hometel) that do have A/C and are equal to or a little less than Novotel.

Pooh

On 8/17/2020 at 3:37 AM, PoohUnderstands said:

Novotel gets good ratings and is reasonably priced and located and I was going to book it, but then looking carefully I noticed it does not have A/C in its rooms.  That is a deal buster for me and my DH.  No matter what time of year, we need our A/C!  I am staying in Southampton(hopefully) the end of June, 2021.  I found similar hotels (Jurys Inn and room2Southampton Hometel) that do have A/C and are equal to or a little less than Novotel.

Pooh

I've found A/C in UK hotels nowhere near as good as US hotels.  You may be severely disappointed.

On 8/17/2020 at 3:46 AM, geoherb said:

Our dinner at the Duke of Wellington led to an unfortunate incidence of food poisoning for both of us. We felt better in the morning.

Food poisoning lasts for at least a few days, not just overnight....

8 hours ago, newport dave said:

Food poisoning lasts for at least a few days, not just overnight....

Not according to this website, which says: "Depending on the cause of food poisoning, the duration of the majority of food poisoning usually ranges from a few hours after exposure to contaminated food or fluid to several days." 

Our symptoms were definitely gone in the morning. Whatever cause us to be ill passed through our systems quickly.  Princess had also discontinued the health questionnaire so we did not have to be examined before getting on board. I don't think it was noro because our symptoms were different from what I experienced on the Sun Princess several years earlier.

On 8/23/2020 at 12:07 PM, newport dave said:

I've found A/C in UK hotels nowhere near as good as US hotels.  You may be severely disappointed.

I know what you mean!  Have been to Europe several times and have had all kinds of A/C in the rooms, but have found even the worst of the A/C provided was better than none.

Pooh

On 8/16/2020 at 7:37 PM, PoohUnderstands said:

Pooh

My sister and I stayed at the Room2Southampton a couple of years ago. Found the room to be comfortable. We were there at the end of August and had no problem with room temp. It was about a 15 minute walk to the Mall.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 7:50 AM, PoohUnderstands said:

I know what you mean!  Have been to Europe several times and have had all kinds of A/C in the rooms, but have found even the worst of the A/C provided was better than none.

Pooh

Most British hotels have superb UK aircon, it's called opening the window...................................

• Haha 1