Windstar Newbie Q's

CanadianKate

We're hurtling towards our embarkation on the Legend on Feb 1. Since this cruise is leaving about 3 weeks earlier than my cancelled one, I feel unprepared mentally. 

I'm experienced with sea days but this will be our longest run of them (previous was Perth to Mauritius) and this time on a very small ship. From all reviews of T-ATLs, I see little or no mention of lecturers (except the astonomer and daily chats with the Captain) so I'm looking for experienced Windstar motor yacht cruisers to answer a few questions:

1. Is there a library and is it any good? (In other words, since I can't read off an e-reader, how many paper books should I bring for 13 sea days, assuming I read 1  book every 2 days?) 

2. Is Press Reader offered on board (so I will get daily newspapers?) 

3. We'll be on for the Superbowl. Does the ship make it a viewing party? SilverSea did that (I think partly to reduce the number of people trying to stream it at the same time!) I'm not interested in the game (I honestly don't know the rules of football) but I enjoyed people watching that day and eating popcorn, chips, burgers and hot dogs.

4. Do the suites have metal walls (in other words, should I bring magnets to attach notes, maps, to my walls?)

5. Do they have a selection of decaf black tea on board or should I bring my own? 

6. Are there are both 120 and 240v outlets in each room (I'm in a suite) and the bathroom? Everything we travel with is dual voltage (or 240 only in the case of my heating pad, since we have a week in Portugal after the cruise.) I need to figure out which power bars to travel bring. 

7. Do the suites come with binoculars? Umbrellas? 

Any other tips I should know? 

On the Pacific crossing, we had a lecturer who gave lectures about Asia so on some crossings they have lecturers.

1. The library is hit or miss - the selection of books is small. Depends on your tastes whether you will find something you want to read. Too bad you can't read off an e-reader. You might want to bring enough books for the whole thing. 

2. It hasn't been on any of the sailings I was on. 

4. Some walls are magnetic (I checked when I was on board because it has been asked before.) A lot of the walls have wood, mirrors or padded fabric coverings (e.g. padded fabric "head board" area above the bed). Where the walls weren't covered a magnet would stick. That was true of the walls inside the walk-in closet and the walls around the bathroom and closet door. Also, the wall above the couch (but a picture takes up a lot of the area) and, possibly, the parts of the wall above the desk that don't have the mirror. 

5. I don't recall any but I was drinking regular black tea - they had a decent brand.

6. Yes, they have both voltages at the desk. Not sure if there is an outlet close to where you might want to use a heating pad.

7. No binoculars. I can't recall whether there was an umbrella. 

Thanks for the details!

Re outlet close enough for heating pad - on Silversea it was quite a distance but my pad has a super long cord so it wasn't impossible, but left a trip hazard at night when it was in use. But I had forgotten that, so thanks for reminding me. 

Edited by CanadianKate

Another question: is there a place to put one's preferences for the suite in our booking? I've completed the emergency contact and immigration information but don't see anything about personal preferences and I have many.  Hypo-allergenic pillows, toiletries, V8 and diet Dr. Pepper in the fridge. Since the last two are slightly unusual, I didn't want to spring it on them. And if they don't have hypo-allergenic toiletries, I'll have to pack extras for myself. I'm violently allergic to Silversea's regular stuff and they failed to deliver the items. It was a rough crossing to Hawaii as my rash got worse and worse. (I gave them hell once a rash appeared since I had requested it and they advertise it as available (plus I knew I was allergic from previous cruises with them.) 

1 hour ago, CanadianKate said:

Another question: is there a place to put one's preferences for the suite in our booking? I've completed the emergency contact and immigration information but don't see anything about personal preferences and I have many.  Hypo-allergenic pillows, toiletries, V8 and diet Dr. Pepper in the fridge. Since the last two are slightly unusual, I didn't want to spring it on them. And if they don't have hypo-allergenic toiletries, I'll have to pack extras for myself. I'm violently allergic to Silversea's regular stuff and they failed to deliver the items. It was a rough crossing to Hawaii as my rash got worse and worse. (I gave them hell once a rash appeared since I had requested it and they advertise it as available (plus I knew I was allergic from previous cruises with them.) 

I think it would be best to call Windstar to ask those questions.

I rarely drink soda so I don't know if they stock Dr. Pepper of any kind. I did ask the room steward to ginger soda in the fridge because if the seas got rough, I might want some of that and he did. If they have it on board, the room steward can make sure it's in your fridge. 

2 minutes ago, new_cruiser said:

I think it would be best to call Windstar to ask those questions.

If they have it on board, the room steward can make sure it's in your fridge. 

I would if there was a place to ask them. The Setting Sail brochure has no instructions as to where to ask additional questions. 

How do they decide if the bed is made up together or separately? Or is this all something that happens on board after we arrive?

My experience is with Silversea where you make a list of what you want in your fridge and all those other details. For example, with SS, when we started with them,  if you didn't fill in anything, you got the basics, plus fresh flowers and champagne in your cabin when you arrive (it is all-inclusive.) So for our second cruise we made a note NO ALCOHOL and yes to Diet Dr. Pepper and were upset to find champagne again despite requesting no alcohol. When we asked the butler to take it away because we had said no alcohol, he pointed out it was alchohol free 'sparkling wine'. The first port, we left the ship and walked past pallets full of supplies and spotted a case of diet Dr. Pepper. It showed up in my fridge when we were back from our tour! 

Now, when overseas, they can't get Diet Dr. Pepper (that's also true in parts of Canada) so I've only had it on 3 cruises (all leaving from the US mainland) but they try. To me that was the important part. Crystal had it on our Perth to South Africa as it is regularly stocked on board them (but that's obviously a bigger ship with larger stores.) Since it is not available in Australia, I hadn't asked for it and came across it by accident at a bar.

Given the small size of the ship and no mention of hypo-allergenic toiletry options or pillow options, I'll be bringing both with me. So much for carry-on bags only. 

You can call Windstar at: 1-866-713-3382. If there is a Canada website, they might have another number on it. 

I expect that the bed set-up defaults to queen because when we don't make a request  that's what it's been. I did travel with a friend once and had it set up as two twins but it was a long time ago so I don't remember what we did to request it. We probably asked for that when we made the booking. 

1 hour ago, CanadianKate said:

I would if there was a place to ask them. The Setting Sail brochure has no instructions as to where to ask additional questions. 

How do they decide if the bed is made up together or separately? Or is this all something that happens on board after we arrive?

My experience is with Silversea where you make a list of what you want in your fridge and all those other details. For example, with SS, when we started with them,  if you didn't fill in anything, you got the basics, plus fresh flowers and champagne in your cabin when you arrive (it is all-inclusive.) So for our second cruise we made a note NO ALCOHOL and yes to Diet Dr. Pepper and were upset to find champagne again despite requesting no alcohol. When we asked the butler to take it away because we had said no alcohol, he pointed out it was alchohol free 'sparkling wine'. The first port, we left the ship and walked past pallets full of supplies and spotted a case of diet Dr. Pepper. It showed up in my fridge when we were back from our tour! 

Now, when overseas, they can't get Diet Dr. Pepper (that's also true in parts of Canada) so I've only had it on 3 cruises (all leaving from the US mainland) but they try. To me that was the important part. Crystal had it on our Perth to South Africa as it is regularly stocked on board them (but that's obviously a bigger ship with larger stores.) Since it is not available in Australia, I hadn't asked for it and came across it by accident at a bar.

Given the small size of the ship and no mention of hypo-allergenic toiletry options or pillow options, I'll be bringing both with me. So much for carry-on bags only. 

They normally supply L'Occitane toiletries which are not likely to be hypo-allergenic since they are mildly fragranced. I do not know if hypo-allergenic toiletries are an option, but I would not be surprised if they are. When you arrive, you tell your cabin steward what drinks you want in your refrigerator and any other special needs.  The steward can quickly separate the bed into twins, if requested. I don't drink soda so I don't know if Diet Dr. Pepper is an option. Your steward can remove the alcohol from your refrigerator. You can also request different pillows.  My husband and I are vegan, and Windstar has been most deliciously accommodating of our special diet for the past 9 cruises.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised how wonderfully the passengers are treated.

According to their website, l’Occitane toiletries provided are hypoallergenic.  Here is the quote

4. Are your products hypoallergenic ?
Our products are all tested against allergies and F.D.A. approved. Not only does each of our end products go through extensive testing, each ingredient is scrupulously tested as well. The frequently misunderstood word 'hypoallergenic' means 'least likely to cause a reaction'. It does not mean that it will never cause reactions on anyone ever. In fact, no product can say that.

3 hours ago, Misty Morning said:

According to their website, l’Occitane toiletries provided are hypoallergenic.  Here is the quote

4. Are your products hypoallergenic ?
Our products are all tested against allergies and F.D.A. approved. Not only does each of our end products go through extensive testing, each ingredient is scrupulously tested as well. The frequently misunderstood word 'hypoallergenic' means 'least likely to cause a reaction'. It does not mean that it will never cause reactions on anyone ever. In fact, no product can say that.

The scent of the L'Occitane stuff in its finicky flip-flop bottles drove my wife crazy with allergic reaction.  Windstar staff had to look in a tiny town in Greenland for unscented soap and shampoo.

Thanks Misty for finding the answer and Marinaro44 for understanding. 

On Silversea, Neutragena is the safe option for me, but isn't on every ship all the time, even when I request it. 

I'm just going to have to bring my own stuff and be pleasantly surprised if I can manage the L'occitane stuff. On the plus side, my reactions mean that I get to use far less expensive products most of the time. My high-end  hair stylist has a note on file to not use their specialty stuff on me and we stay at mid-range hotels because the toiletries at high end hotels trigger either headaches or rashes from the scent. This isn't just a cruise issue, this is a travel issue for me. 

I may be pleasantly surprised with how I am treated but I've learned the hard way what I need on a trip and supplying that isn't always possible. Especially on such a small ship, it isn't even reasonable to expect them to stock everything I need for the 'perfect for me' vacation.

It isn't just toiletries but my body is assaulted by cleaning products and laundry products as well. The toiletries are the only item I can control but by limiting the assault on my senses, my body can cope with the other items. 

All this reminds me I have to go buy more allergy pills. As my pharmacist says, simply take them all the time when traveling because you don't know what you'll react to when you are away from home. 

Chuckling about the finicky bottles.  Loading a Wind Surf shower wire soap dish with shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, a bar of soap, and my customary small bottle of Dr. Bronner's often led to a bit of juggling.

The carry-on three-ounce liquid limit interferes with peoples' ability to bring their own toiletries.  While some purchase them at their destination, that isn't always practical and is usually wasteful.

1. Is there a library and is it any good? (In other words, since I can't read off an e-reader, how many paper books should I bring for 13 sea days, assuming I read 1  book every 2 days?) 

People leave their books, so it's always interesting to go by and see what's there.

There are news summaries available at reception every morning, along with a sudoku page and a crossword puzzle.

6. Are there are both 120 and 240v outlets in each room (I'm in a suite) and the bathroom? Everything we travel with is dual voltage (or 240 only in the case of my heating pad, since we have a week in Portugal after the cruise.) I need to figure out which power bars to travel bring. 

In the bathroom, there is only an outlet for a razor. The other outlets are by the desk and the TV. No outlet next to the bed.

There was an umbrella in our closet for Panama, not sure if for all cruises. I think I saw binocs to use in the Yacht Club, although I can't be sure.

I have to say I never saw Diet Dr Pepper or V-8. The L'Occitane products are Verbena scented. Are you able to make do with what they offer you? If not, you ought to bring stuff with you.

Edited by O2B@Cagain

On 1/8/2020 at 3:41 PM, CanadianKate said:

We're hurtling towards our embarkation on the Legend on Feb 1. Since this cruise is leaving about 3 weeks earlier than my cancelled one, I feel unprepared mentally. 

I'm experienced with sea days but this will be our longest run of them (previous was Perth to Mauritius) and this time on a very small ship. From all reviews of T-ATLs, I see little or no mention of lecturers (except the astonomer and daily chats with the Captain) so I'm looking for experienced Windstar motor yacht cruisers to answer a few questions:

3. We'll be on for the Superbowl. Does the ship make it a viewing party? SilverSea did that (I think partly to reduce the number of people trying to stream it at the same time!) I'm not interested in the game (I honestly don't know the rules of football) but I enjoyed people watching that day and eating popcorn, chips, burgers and hot dogs.

4. Do the suites have metal walls (in other words, should I bring magnets to attach notes, maps, to my walls?)

5. Do they have a selection of decaf black tea on board or should I bring my own? 

Any other tips I should know? 

Call Windstar and select the option for already booked. The person you talk to will be able to attach your requests for bed configuration to your information and it will be sent to the ship. I pack personal bathroom items in my checked luggage which allows more than the 3.4 oz TSA limits. Any particular requests must be sent to the ship 7 days in advance so you should do this sooner than later. There is actually a link embedded with the travel documents email that will allow you to do this but I think it's easier to call.

Library hit or miss. Depends on who was there before or after you. I've read some interesting books onboard that I never would have selected in a store.

Umbrellas in suites and available at reception.  Binoculars furnished in the large suites, not the regular suites.

Hair dryer ok. I prefer a travel dryer that I take everywhere. 

Outlets are both voltages. Plug converters available at reception but not voltage converters. There is an outlet next to the bed in regular suite. It is hidden two prong Euro. Your cabin steward can show you where. In the big suites outlets available pretty much all over.

Tea is Twinings. I would bring my own  decaf as it's easy to pack and they have limited supplies and there might be lots of decaf drinkers. 

Superbowl will not be available. They have a very limited TV service package. 

My "tip" is relax and enjoy and don't spend your cruise comparing it to another line. Each one is a different experience and there will be some things you like more and some you will like less. The crew will do anything and everything to make you happy and that is the true joy of Windstar. 

• Like 1

I've brought and used magnetic hooks in the motor yachts.  

In our last sailing on the Legeand 11/30/19, we had an umbrella in our closet but don't recall one on my other Windstar sailings. 

I always bring battery tea lights to use as a night light in the bathroom.

Note that electric outlets are likely to change when the ships are stretched. All old data are obsolete at that point.

Pre-stretch on the motor yachts, the ONLY 120-volt outlet (a single, with a spring-loaded cover) was under the waist-high mirror opposite the foot of the bed, about 3'-4' away from your toes. An extension cord there would trip one of the two sleepers when they get up in the night. The outlets closest to the heads of the beds are 240 volt. There are plenty of 240 Volt outlets, but you might have to unplug a lamp to get a free one where you want it.

Windstar and the stewards are very amiable, but I'm dubious about V8 and Dr. Pepper. In fairness to you, you did not present them as Financial Services Professional demands, but rather as hopes. But I had this looming memory of a guest at a tiny and luxurious Caribbean Resort refusing to eat the oatmeal because it was not "steel-cut." (Smiley)

11 hours ago, jmbklj said:

I always bring battery tea lights to use as a night light in the bathroom.

That's brilliant!

And in the past, on other ships, I've brought magnets to put up maps on the wall (and daily schedules) but I never thought of bringing a hook. We have Tilley hats that we like to hang up so they are quick to grab on the way out of the suite and not every ship has a hook for them by the door. 

Both those items are added to my packing list. 

16 minutes ago, CruiseOrLand said:

Note that electric outlets are likely to change when the ships are stretched. All old data are obsolete at that point.

The outlets closest to the heads of the beds are 240 volt. There are plenty of 240 Volt outlets, but you might have to unplug a lamp to get a free one where you want it.

Windstar and the stewards are very amiable, but I'm dubious about V8 and Dr. Pepper. (Smiley)

240 outlets are not an issue for us. We work a lot overseas so have a full complement of 240 Write Reviewadapters and power bars (all our electrical items are dual voltage except my heating pads.) It is just a matter of knowing which power bar will be more useful (sounds like the 240.) 

V8 or equivalent is sometimes used as a cocktail mix. So the bars have it stocked. On Silversea, they gave us the big cans to keep in our suite. We had to call for the steward to open the can for us until we got to the Azores and bought a souvenir opener we now travel with. Diet Dr. Pepper (and even regular Dr. Pepper) is difficult to get even in parts of North America so is a big ask. I'm willing to bet it won't even be available in stores in Puerto Rico. And if that is the case, there's no way they will have it for me, because they won't even be able to pick some up special, just for me.  But as my grandfather taught me, it never hurts to ask.

Edited to add: In our experience the 120V outlets on ships tend to be worn out so things will be loose when you plug them in. So that's another advantage to using the 240 outlets, they receive less use by the passengers and so hold things more tightly. 

Edited by CanadianKate

I have a few questions, too.

Can you see the menus on the room's TV screen?
Can you access the inputs for the TV (to allow viewing of your own movies?)
Does Windstar allow you to bring wine aboard at the ports or just at embarcation?
Are all spa facilities only available for a charge or can you access steam rooms, ect without charge?

You can't see menus on the TV screen (at least they weren't doing that a year ago and I doubt that it has changed). There is usually a copy of the dinner menu in the Yacht Club and another outside Amphora that you can check out to see what's for dinner that evening. 

I don't know about TV inputs - probably you can access something on the TV or DVD player.

The official policy only allows bringing on wine for consumption on board at embarkation. (A few years ago it did allow for bringing it on at other ports, but that text isn't there any more.)

I'm fairly sure that there is no charge for using the steam room but it isn't my thing so I've not tested that. 

The only thing that you will pay for in the gym or salon are personal services.  The rest is free. We have brought bottles of wine on in just about every port where the wine is interesting.  The wine on board is well priced so unless in a great wine region or there is something unusual that we run into, we jus order onboard. 

2 hours ago, sb44 said:

The only thing that you will pay for in the gym or salon are personal services.  The rest is free. We have brought bottles of wine on in just about every port where the wine is interesting.  The wine on board is well priced so unless in a great wine region or there is something unusual that we run into, we jus order onboard. 

One of the deals that is ongoing provides two bottles of wine per cabin.  If you open the wine in your cabin, can you take it to Amphora without a corkage fee? Or must you bring it already poured in a glass?  I have always just ordered bottles of wine in Amphora, but I will have two bottles in my cabin in March.