Specialty Dining- with toddler

Thank you for all the responses (some more so than others). We have decided not to book the unlimited dining plan. Our daughter is already going to be out of her element and probably way off schedule so we don't want to regret buying a package and feeling like we have to do a formal sit down dinner every night to pay for it 

Instead, we will try the daycare for a night and book a Chops reservation. Unfortunately, she cant go to the actual kids club because she's under 3 so we have to pay for daycare

I will said had we chose to book the package I would never allow her to create a huge scene for other diners. Like I said, she is generally VERY good in restaurants. The worst she does is say hi 25 times to the table next to us. We would never want to cause a scene and ruin someone elses dinner....hence why I asked this question. Like others have said, this is a FAMILY cruise line. You should expect to see kids. We could very well run into kids being a disaster in the Windjammer or MDR just like Chops

Also, for those of you who said they would never cruise with a toddler...we took her on her first cruise at 6 months and it was the BEST vacation we've taken. Will we be able to go to every show we want? No. Will we be able to bar hop like we used to pre-kid? No. WIll every dinner be enjoyable? Probably not, but we make the best of it and will cherish the memories we will create on this cruise forever. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NicoleToussaint said:

I will said had we chose to book the package I would never allow her to create a huge scene for other diners. Like I said, she is generally VERY good in restaurants. The worst she does is say hi 25 times to the table next to us. We would never want to cause a scene and ruin someone elses dinner....hence why I asked this question. 

to me this would be the epitome of  disruptive   behavior.  so thank you for recognizing that  aspect of your child's personality.  

3 minutes ago, spookwife said:

to me this would be the epitome of  disruptive   behavior.  so thank you for recognizing that  aspect of your child's personality.  

A child saying hi to you should be the least of your problems. We travel multiple times a year and have seen the good, bad and ugly of other people's children. I would love if the least of our problems were someone saying hi to us

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NicoleToussaint said:

A child saying hi to you should be the least of your problems. We travel multiple times a year and have seen the good, bad and ugly of other people's children. I would love if the least of our problems were someone saying hi to us

not when it is said 25 times  in a row when I am trying to have a quiet dinner/conversation with my spouse.    would YOU want to be interrupted in the middle of your dinner that way?  by ANYONE  who just won't shut up?  

• Like 1

It has never taken us 2-3 hrs to eat dinner in any restaurant, but I don’t go to Chefs Table for that reason. As an adult I can’t sit in one place for that long.  But have encountered many disruptive, drunk and loud adults in these restaurants. Just my experience. 

@NicoleToussaint, you sound like a very kind, reasonable person. I am happy that you decided to do what is best for you and your child, while also recognizing that some folks looking for a romantic experience deserve to have that as well. Chances are your child will also grow up to be a polite, thoughtful person. I hope you thoroughly enjoy your cruise! I imagine you will enjoy specialty dining with her in the future.

Tone of voice and intent do not come across well online and many jumped to (what seem to me to be) unfair conclusions about the words of others. I respect your reasoned, balanced approach to this discussion. 

I wish I had been able to afford to cruise when my kids were young. I'm glad you can. Enjoy!

2 hours ago, spookwife said:

not when it is said 25 times  in a row when I am trying to have a quiet dinner/conversation with my spouse.    would YOU want to be interrupted in the middle of your dinner that way?  by ANYONE  who just won't shut up?  

completely agree with you... its one thing for a child to say hi once or twice (in fact its cute) ... totally different when a child is at the next table and keep trying to get you attention every 30 seconds for 30 minutes 

Edited by Tulsacoker

Wow, now I remember why I took a break from these message boards for a while. 

My wife and I often enjoy the specialty restaurants and have never had an issue with children in them. However, if one were to make a scene or be disruptive to others I would hope that a parent or someone in the party would take them out of the restaurant for at least a few minutes as to not completely disrupt others who are trying to have a quieter or different experience than the craziness on the rest of the ship. When we have children we look forward to the opportunity to bring them to those restaurants when they are of an age they will act appropriately and appreciate the experience.

In our experience it should be the kids removing their loud, rude, or overly intoxicated parents from certain situations or venues on the ships! 

We love cruising though! Have a great day!

4 hours ago, spookwife said:

keep in mind that a well behaved toddler is still disruptive( worst sound IN THE WORLD is a 2 year old shrieking.. whether in happiness, frustration or  anger.  it actually causes physical pain to my husband ) to those around you.  

Thank you for my laugh of the day. 😂

Just my $.02 i LOVE kids ! Worked with them for years and still do. That said I work with children and adolescents on the spectrum with severe behaviors so I hear screaming of all kinds 5 days a week. When I go on vacation I do appreciate being able to eat in a relatively relaxed state. Not saying I feel entitled just saying there are some people who don't dislike children but like to eat in a peaceful manner. I have 2 kids that are grown now. I was very lucky in that it was a RARE occasion my kids acted out in public. But if they did I simply removed them from there. Leaving the public in peace ( lol) and teaching my kids that it wasn't acceptable. 

Of course the OP may have a toddler that is experienced in behaving well in public and that is awesome. 

• Like 2