Cruise Critic Community
ErLee

Crown Princess?

5 hours ago, jeromep said:

Are you a seasoned Princess cruiser, or is the Sky your first experience with Princess?  I think that will help with answering your question.

Though we are not seasoned Princess cruisers, we sailed to Alaska in May on the Coral Princess. We had a mini suite on the Coral, absolutely loved our room and the balcony size was great. Because it was an Alaskan cruise, we spent most of our time outside and were not bothered by the limited options for entertainment on the smaller ship. 

We have not sailed on a Grand class ship.

The British Isles cruise is so Port intensive, I expect we'd be off the ship a lot! 

9 hours ago, ErLee said:

Though we are not seasoned Princess cruisers, we sailed to Alaska in May on the Coral Princess. We had a mini suite on the Coral, absolutely loved our room and the balcony size was great. Because it was an Alaskan cruise, we spent most of our time outside and were not bothered by the limited options for entertainment on the smaller ship. 

We have not sailed on a Grand class ship.

The British Isles cruise is so Port intensive, I expect we'd be off the ship a lot! 

I appreciate your clarification.  The Coral and Island are in a class by themselves, mostly because they are Panamax ships and share little in common with most of the ships in the fleet.  I'm not referring to on board services and venues (although they have their fair share of differences), but more to the size of the vessel the type of sailing they were built for, and even the company that built them.

There is a lot of talk out there about the current mechanical issue that the Crown is suffering from.  It is too bad because it is wreaking havoc with all the current itineraries.  It sounds like a mechanical situation similar to what the Caribbean Princess dealt with for a couple of years between dry docks.  If it is a similar situation, then it is a major mechanical issue which will require an extensive drydock and a huge hull cut to get to the affected machinery.  The Caribbean Princess only had its mechanical issue resolved during a long dry dock where they had time to cut open the hull and access the affected hardware.  Here is a really useful link which somebody keeps maintained showing past and future dry dock schedules.

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/fleet-drydock-schedule

If you look at that page, the Caribbean's most recent dry dock was last year in April and was 30 days, much longer than a normal dry dock.  The Crown's next dry dock is scheduled for October of this year and is only about 2 weeks.  I'm not sure that 2 weeks will be long enough to fix whatever issue the ship has.  Then again, I will reiterate that I don't know the issue the Crown has right now, but is sure sounds similar to the problem the Caribbean Princess had.

There is a limited amount of dry dock space around the world and it isn't uncommon for a dry dock to require years advanced notice to schedule.  If this is a major mechanical repair, the next dry dock might not be appropriate to fix the issue, which means that the Crown will be a little bit pokey until a long enough dry dock to address the issue.  If you do choose the Crown for a British Isles cruise, be prepared for the itinerary you are looking at today to change.  You may want to be open to a similar cruise on another ship or be really flexible if you really want to be on the Crown.

Edited by jeromep

Currently on the Crown. Its a disaster partly due to weather - only called at 3 ports. Antigua and St Kitts cancelled due to winds, Princess Cays due to generator problem as well as Grenada on last cruise. Elevators out of action for whole cruise. Areas of ship have duck tape repairs including Fincantieri sign on prom deck. We were on same itinerary last year and thoroughly enjoyed it but ship needs further re-furb particularly Horizon Buffet. Were on Emerald in August - much better. We were considering booking Crown for next January but having second thoughts.

16 hours ago, jeromep said:

I appreciate your clarification.  The Coral and Island are in a class by themselves, mostly because they are Panamax ships and share little in common with most of the ships in the fleet.  I'm not referring to on board services and venues (although they have their fair share of differences), but more to the size of the vessel the type of sailing they were built for, and even the company that built them.

There is a lot of talk out there about the current mechanical issue that the Crown is suffering from.  It is too bad because it is wreaking havoc with all the current itineraries.  It sounds like a mechanical situation similar to what the Caribbean Princess dealt with for a couple of years between dry docks.  If it is a similar situation, then it is a major mechanical issue which will require an extensive drydock and a huge hull cut to get to the affected machinery.  The Caribbean Princess only had its mechanical issue resolved during a long dry dock where they had time to cut open the hull and access the affected hardware.  Here is a really useful link which somebody keeps maintained showing past and future dry dock schedules.

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/fleet-drydock-schedule

If you look at that page, the Caribbean's most recent dry dock was last year in April and was 30 days, much longer than a normal dry dock.  The Crown's next dry dock is scheduled for October of this year and is only about 2 weeks.  I'm not sure that 2 weeks will be long enough to fix whatever issue the ship has.  Then again, I will reiterate that I don't know the issue the Crown has right now, but is sure sounds similar to the problem the Caribbean Princess had.

There is a limited amount of dry dock space around the world and it isn't uncommon for a dry dock to require years advanced notice to schedule.  If this is a major mechanical repair, the next dry dock might not be appropriate to fix the issue, which means that the Crown will be a little bit pokey until a long enough dry dock to address the issue.  If you do choose the Crown for a British Isles cruise, be prepared for the itinerary you are looking at today to change.  You may want to be open to a similar cruise on another ship or be really flexible if you really want to be on the Crown.

The Caribbean Princess sailed for years with their issue constantly missing ports or experiencing shorter port times. I don’t expect the Crown to be repaired anytime soon if it’s the same issue. To be honest I wouldn’t risk travel to Europe for an abbreviated itinerary. I would have a plan B on another line if this issue isn’t solved before final payment.

Edited by Iamcruzin

6 hours ago, mcc said:

Currently on the Crown. Its a disaster partly due to weather - only called at 3 ports. Antigua and St Kitts cancelled due to winds, Princess Cays due to generator problem as well as Grenada on last cruise. Elevators out of action for whole cruise. Areas of ship have duck tape repairs including Fincantieri sign on prom deck. We were on same itinerary last year and thoroughly enjoyed it but ship needs further re-furb particularly Horizon Buffet. Were on Emerald in August - much better. We were considering booking Crown for next January but having second thoughts.

OH MY!  We are boarding in 11 days for 30 days on Crown.  I fractured my ankle years ago and if I do too many stairs, I am not able to walk on it.  Are all the elevators out or just one set?  

Also, can you let me know who the Maitre' D is currently?  Thanks.

One elevator midships has been out of service for the last 2 cruises. Another one works intermittently and is taken out of service at odd times. An aft elevator is also out of service. It just means longer waits and sonetimes in service elevators miss out the dck you are waiting on.

The Maitre d’ is a man - Nicola Furlan.

20 minutes ago, mcc said:

One elevator midships has been out of service for the last 2 cruises. Another one works intermittently and is taken out of service at odd times. An aft elevator is also out of service. It just means longer waits and sonetimes in service elevators miss out the dck you are waiting on.

20 minutes ago, mcc said:

Thanks so much.  We are aft on the ship.  I will  make sure pack my knee, ankle and toe braces...I pulled them and put them on the do not bring list, but will add them now.

You have been more helpful than you know.  Have  a safe trip

5 hours ago, mcc said:

The Maitre d’ is a man - Nicola Furlan

Hi mcc, 

First off, it has been so upsetting to hear the Crown basically fall into this condition as she was beautiful just a few months prior. I still hope you have been able to find opportunities to make this vacation worthwhile for you all and look forward to hear if anything else comes up during the rest of the cruise that might turn things around a little. I did want to ask, though, who the captain and entertainment director was. Thanks in advance and wishing you the best on your cruise.

Entertainment director is a blonde lady Lisa.

We were on Crown same cruise 12 months ago and even the food and food choice was better.

all passengers are now being offered 35% of price of cruise as future cruise credit due to disruption or 17 and half per cent  of cost of back to back.