Packing a lunch from the boat for off the boat....

Davis2010

5 hours ago, ducklite said:

We like Luna Bars in my house.  Clif bars are terrible, as well as many of the others, but Luna are overall quite tasty!

I like Luna Bars, too.  I like ProBars, too (have liked them since they were first made in Utah).  My new love are BoBo's (eatbobos.com).  I got some for my camping/road trip back in November.  I found the Original Oat bar, the Peach Pie, and the Apple Pie really good.  Similar nutritional data as Luna Bars, but to me, they were more filling.    If you are near an REI, you can find them there, too.  The "nutritional bars" aisle of REI are just a haven of goodies - see if something calls to you and give it a try!

On 1/9/2020 at 12:35 PM, Davis2010 said:

My hubby is a diabetic so we were trying to find the best way to get something into our bags for him. We will get some prepackaged stuff.

To save time,  I take tuna in pouches, turkey jerky, protein bars etc.  Anything prepackaged is okay.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, katrina915 said:

To save time,  I take tuna in pouches, turkey jerky, protein bars etc.  Anything prepackaged is okay.

I didn't even think about tuna!!! He loves that with crackers!! Thank you!!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, katrina915 said:

Generally, yes. But different countries do have different rules. There's no 100% "anything prepackaged is okay" rule for everywhere. 

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

I like Luna Bars, too.  I like ProBars, too (have liked them since they were first made in Utah).  My new love are BoBo's (eatbobos.com).  I got some for my camping/road trip back in November.  I found the Original Oat bar, the Peach Pie, and the Apple Pie really good.  Similar nutritional data as Luna Bars, but to me, they were more filling.    If you are near an REI, you can find them there, too.  The "nutritional bars" aisle of REI are just a haven of goodies - see if something calls to you and give it a try!

I've never had a "nutrition bar" that I could honestly say I really enjoyed the taste.  Fill me up, sure.  But I would rather have a Cadbury.  Lol.  

21 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I've never had a "nutrition bar" that I could honestly say I really enjoyed the taste.  Fill me up, sure.  But I would rather have a Cadbury.  Lol.  

Maybe I like them because I grew up with oat bars before they became "nutrition" bars.  I don't like sicky sweet stuff.

Regarding the "prepackaged" stuff:  Things like jerky, cheese - I know in some countries you could not bring certain meats & cheeses on board even if they were "prepackages."    For an Alaska cruise, you best double-check the rules from a reputable site, not just CC...

On 1/9/2020 at 2:03 PM, ducklite said:

Australia are about the strictest in the entire world.  And for good reason.  They even want gum and breath mints declared.

Reminded me of an experience we had in Sydney.  A few years back we took a terrific cruise around New Zealand.  When we disembarked in Sydney, I answered “yes” to the question on the form about had we been on a farm.  They guy in the terminal looked at us kind of funny and asked what I meant.   I explained we had been on an excursion to the pasture of a sheep ranch so we could watch the sheep dogs.   He sent us over to some kind of agricultural inspection kiosk, which by the way, had no one in line. The two agents staffing the kiosk looked at us kind of funny and asked how they could help.  I explained the other guy sent us over cause we had been on a sheep farm.  I also pointed out that probably 75% of the passengers over in the terminal exit line had been on the same excursion.  They asked if our shoes were clean.  I said “yep”.  They said “go”.  We did! 

• Like 1

The guy is diabetic and going to Alaska. I take pre packaged food all the time. No one asks and I read flyers for any restrictions which I never see in Alaska. Let's not over complicate things. If they are asked if they have any food,  then they tell what they have. Worse case scenario is they have to throw it out. 

OP, cruise ship daily planner usually lists what you can take off the ship at ports. No fruit usually. They won't let you bring any opened food items back on the ship. And especially watch foreign ports since I believe you are going to Victoria-so different rules.

Edited by katrina915

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Reminded me of an experience we had in Sydney.  A few years back we took a terrific cruise around New Zealand.  When we disembarked in Sydney, I answered “yes” to the question on the form about had we been on a farm.  They guy in the terminal looked at us kind of funny and asked what I meant.   I explained we had been on an excursion to the pasture of a sheep ranch so we could watch the sheep dogs.   He sent us over to some kind of agricultural inspection kiosk, which by the way, had no one in line. The two agents staffing the kiosk looked at us kind of funny and asked how they could help.  I explained the other guy sent us over cause we had been on a sheep farm.  I also pointed out that probably 75% of the passengers over in the terminal exit line had been on the same excursion.  They asked if our shoes were clean.  I said “yep”.  They said “go”.  We did! 

For several years my National Guard unit traveled to Korea for the Team Spirit Exercise.  The agricultural inspections were horrific for our return.  I had one run in with an ag inspector who wanted to see my 'mud boots'.  He didn't want to believe I had no 'mud boots'.  He threatened to dump all my bags on the floor if I didn't show him 'mud boots'.  I told him I didn't bring 'mud boots' because I wouldn't need 'mud boot's since I was stationed at Corps HQ.  That convinced him to let me proceed.

I had a horrible time at Australian customs because at the time I was working on farms in California. They ended up scrubbing the soles of all of my shoes before letting me go on.  I didn't, and don't, have a problem with this at all. I know all about biosecurity, and the major headaches imported pests cause.

I take little sealed sleeves of nuts along on long tours. You can get almonds, peanuts, cashews, pistachios...  Assuming there are no allergy issues, nuts are dead easy to pack along.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 12:23 PM, Zach1213 said:

Assuming you mean a sandwich with meat (versus a vegetarian sandwich), meat is definitely a concern of customs agencies everywhere, especially when they don't know how it came packaged (or if it came packaged). 

Why would it matter?

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

For several years my National Guard unit traveled to Korea for the Team Spirit Exercise.  The agricultural inspections were horrific for our return.  I had one run in with an ag inspector who wanted to see my 'mud boots'.  He didn't want to believe I had no 'mud boots'.  He threatened to dump all my bags on the floor if I didn't show him 'mud boots'.  I told him I didn't bring 'mud boots' because I wouldn't need 'mud boot's since I was stationed at Corps HQ.  That convinced him to let me proceed.

Oh, you mean those mud boots.  Hahaha

I sometimes think these guys purposely push hard because they are looking for a certain kind of reaction that might be a signal a guy is trying to sneak something.  But I really don't know.  

9 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

Wow.....A little extreme but ok...

If you’d seen the horrific photos of the animal carcasses being burned after the Foot and Mouth disease outbreaks in the UK, it wouldn’t seem so extreme.  😪  As it happens, one of the outbreaks came from faulty plumbing in a testing facility, but it could easily have started with contaminated meat unknowingly brought in by a tourist.  Best to be cautious than have something like that again!

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 9:35 AM, Davis2010 said:

My hubby is a diabetic so we were trying to find the best way to get something into our bags for him. We will get some prepackaged stuff.

We take packaged "tuna kits" for lunches when we do long hikes. These have a little can of seasoned tuna and some crackers. I think these would be allowable to take off anywhere, since they're pre-packaged and sealed.

I can think of a couple examples.

It's been years ago but my brother had to cook and eat all the bacon he had in his RV before they would let him into Canada.

When we arrived in Australia after being in New Zealand, we answered yes that we had been on a sheep farm in NZ.  They made us step in a tray of some kind of chemicals.  I thought that was funny since they had no idea if we were wearing the same shoes we had on at the farm.

Watched a woman being taken away in NZ after denying she had fruit in her bag.   A dog found it.

On 1/11/2020 at 10:56 AM, gooch47 said:

I can think of a couple examples.

It's been years ago but my brother had to cook and eat all the bacon he had in his RV before they would let him into Canada.

When we arrived in Australia after being in New Zealand, we answered yes that we had been on a sheep farm in NZ.  They made us step in a tray of some kind of chemicals.  I thought that was funny since they had no idea if we were wearing the same shoes we had on at the farm.

Watched a woman being taken away in NZ after denying she had fruit in her bag.   A dog found it.

If he had frozen the bacon it would have been acceptable

On 1/9/2020 at 2:33 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

When I moved to NorCal in 1973, my first official government interaction was at the Truckee Ag Inspection Station on I-80 where I was promptly ordered to remove/leave all the house plant from our Ohio U-Haul. Funny memory now- not so funny then!

In 2001, entering at Needles in southern California, I was allowed to bring in a house plant, but only after it had been very carefully inspected.

4 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

And why do you think that?

I know that.  We took an RV into Canada and were told by Canadians that if the meat was frozen no problem.  We were searched at customs and had frozen meat.  No problem