Pre-registration for Cruises

LandC

We paid a pre-registration fee of £90 per person last Autumn, for cruises departing from April 2021 onwards.  

Has anyone else has done this? 

We  expected to be contacted by Saga this month, with details of the new cruises, but have heard nothing yet.

We paid our £90 in February when onboard Sapphire at the time we were told 2021 cruises would be out  July 2019.

Then we were told September 2019.

In September Saga released 7 cruises and we were told January for the remainder of itineraries.

We need to know what they are planningso that we can plan, 2021 is now less than a year away!

Their marketing department need a boot up the backside, what are they playing at?

I totally agree Glenndale.  The date has  slipped still further.  I was told recently that they are still planning the itineraries, and will be in touch in early spring!  

I find it hard to believe that they really are still planning the itineraries at this late stage.   I wonder if it’s a pricing issue? They raised their prices significantly when they introduced all-inclusive drinks last November, and from reading comments on this Board, it has deterred some people from booking.

Well, we're ready to book a 2021 cruise with Princess and seriously looking at another TA on Oceania in 2021 with a British Isles cruise on Cunard also looking favourite for 2021.

So that will mean 2021 will be sorted with no Saga cruise amongst them.

We had hoped to do a British Isles cruise with Saga as my S-I-L enjoyed her cruise with them and loved her single balcony cabin, however due to Saga's tardiness in bringing out their itineraries it looks like they will lose out on our cruising £s.

How many others will be doing the same?

I agree, it’s very frustrating when we are trying to plan cruises to fit around our other activities next year.  If anyone who has pre-registered gets any more information about the release of  cruises from April 2021 onwards, please post here.

I am following this thread for my Mum, who needs a single cabin and has not sailed Saga before, but wants to give it a try. Can you explain the £90 pre-registration to me...should she do it? I have cruised a lot and tend to help her with bookings, but have no experience with Saga and how to get the best prices. As a single cruiser it is always relatively expensive, so I like to try and help her get the best deal possible. Thanks for any help/input.

We found out about advance registration last year through our friends, who have sailed 
With Saga several times.  By paying £90 pp, (which is refundable if you don’t book), you get the chance to book cruises before they are advertised to the general public.  This means that you get the best discount available.  The discount usually starts at 35%, and decreases as cruises are booked up.  Your mother will need to phone Saga to pay the £90.  

Saga will then phone people in the order that they pre-registered, when cruises become available to book.  We sailed with Saga for the first time last year, and loved it.  The single cabins look very spacious, I’m sure your mother will enjoy cruising on Saga’s new ships.

I understand that Saga have recently cancelled the World Cruise on SoD.  I’m not surprised, as it was very expensive!  This may be why they have had to delay the launch of the 2021/2022 itineraries.

Another slight oddity - Discovery's present cruise was originally 21 nights in the Med. with Venice halfway through;  according to Cruisemapper this cruise is now scheduled to end in Venice??  She is currently on the way to Malta.

Anyone know what is happening?

I remember seeing the cruise being sold three ways: as a 21 night return trip, or fly cruises leaving or joining at Venice. She's on the Southampton to Venice leg so that appears to be all that Cruisemapper is capable of reporting. It's not always a good idea to take Cruisemapper literally.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 5:59 PM, kruzgal said:

Perhaps there will be some bargains when they are finally released as some will undoubtedly have given up and booked elsewhere? It does seem very odd to be so late planning and releasing itineraries.

Saga starts offering guarantee cabins nearer departure date but I have yet to see a guarantee price less than the 35% reduced price.

Our Baltic cruise in June is now being offered with guarantees priced at £3346 pp but would have been £2724 pp with 35% off.

Single cabins tend to sell quickly too.

On 1/19/2020 at 9:16 PM, kruzgal said:

I am following this thread for my Mum, who needs a single cabin and has not sailed Saga before, but wants to give it a try. Can you explain the £90 pre-registration to me...should she do it? I have cruised a lot and tend to help her with bookings, but have no experience with Saga and how to get the best prices. As a single cruiser it is always relatively expensive, so I like to try and help her get the best deal possible. Thanks for any help/input.

Hi kruzgal It seems to me the best bet is to go with the pre-registration, the £90 is refundable if nothing suits you.

I had expected to get the itineraries from April 2021 in early January, having transferred our pre-reg money from the river cruises (which we chose not to book) to the next tranche of ocean cruises.  As Saga failed to get details of the river cruises to us before the telephone call to ask what we'd like to book (!!), I telephoned in mid-Jan and was told the details would be out in March or April. I was surprised, as it does seem late. Some 2022 cruises are already bookable with other lines. 

• 2 weeks later...

We received our weekly SAGA mail this morning which included a leaflet on preregistration which indicated that 2021 cruises will go on sale 23rd March. I phoned and paid the £90 and was told that I would be contacted by phone before the 23rd March to choose a cruise and book if required. The brochure will not be distributed before 23rd March.

I wonder when Saga will start phoning people who have pre-registered?   Presumably those of us who have paid £90 will get a copy of the brochure before 23 March, or a PDF of the brochure, so that they can decide which cruise to book.

When we were pre-registered for the river cruises, I had a phone call asking which I wanted to book (if any), but at that time hadn't even received a list of dates, rivers, durations ... or any info whatsoever. The agent said I should have had an email with the info, but admitted that Saga had found that, due to something in the email, many email providers had blocked it. She assured me that Saga had learnt from this and would ensure that hard-copy information would be sent out for the next batch of ocean cruises before phone calls started. If this doesn't happen, I fail to see how an agent can talk a potential client through every cruise itinerary and expect a decision. I can only wait and see.

Edited by Wacktle
hard-copy added

• 2 weeks later...

It's not just cruises, we usually book something land based as well and had decided on three weeks in Malta for either March or November 2021 but when the brochure came a couple of weeks ago most destinations finished in October 2020. 

I wonder if this is because  there is a certain level of uncertainty concerning the mini visa ( I think it is called an Eritas) that we will all, including cruise passengers, need from January 2021 to enter mainland Europe unless the date slips. 

If you look on the internet you will see it needs to be applied and paid for  on line and then printed off to be presented as hard copy together with you passport on entering or leaving the country. 

If like me you have no printer you will not be able to apply as there is no postal option. 

The Saga agent I spoke to last week said there will have to be some concessions for older people applying and Saga are trying to get something sorted out but nothing more is known yet. 

Edited by JMyrtle

27 minutes ago, annieuk said:

We have our first cruise with Saga in April. Can someone tell me if Pre-registering with Saga is something that can only be done on board, or only after having sailed with them for the first time?

You can ring 0800 068 8731 to register 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Another post just now indicates that they have started sending out the pre-registration details.

Saga have definitely changed the way of doing things, and it does not seem to be working as well as it used to, as I suspect that some travel agents are getting information even ahead of those who have pre-registered (certainly ahead of Britannia Club members) so some cabins may already have gone by the time you get the details.

Hopefully, they will at least get the details out before they call, so at least you know what you are booking.

All immaterial to us - after our cruise on SoD we cancelled all three advance registrations.

• 3 months later...