Need suggestions for managing a 12 hr day time flight

Alaskanb

In mid November 2021 we will need to fly from Rome to El Paso, Texas. Looking at the options on EZ Air for 2020 we can have a direct flight to the US then on to ELP or a flight that includes a layover in a European airport before heading to the US. The AA one stop approach provides an approx 12 hr flight from FCO to DFW, a 3+ hr transfer time, and arrival in ELP at approx 6 pm where we will have an hours car journey to reach home. We plan to fly Business class so we can elevate our feet and have a nap. We are now 70+. 

What strategies do you use for this length of flight? 

Stay awake for westbounds such as this, maybe a 2hr nap at the most.

My most recent true long westbound was a 15hr flight early morning flight from DOH-ORD where I made a similar layover and connection at the end. I ordered breakfast and watched some films and then napped for 90mins (set my alarm accordingly) before waking up and ordering lunch and some snacks. I showered in the lounge at ORD and kept the metabolism up, opting for only the snack plate on the connecting flight home. By the time I got home I was already on local time and awoke the next morning accordingly...

I should note jetlag really isn't a thing I ever get, no matter how hard I try (Sydney-JFK in one hit, 15hr eastbound dayflights etc.) but my wife is a little more susceptible and followed the same pattern as me. 

Flying business/first class makes a huge difference as these longer flights really zip by when you're not crammed in like a sardine. 

• Thanks 1

Business Class will make it more tolerable, almost enjoyable.

Good suggestions.

As soon as I am safely on board before a long flight, I set my watch to local time.  I eat the first meal provided and I try to sleep based on the local time. (No later than 9AM local time).  Also after arriving home, I try to stay awake until my normal bed time.  It is not bad coming west, but the other direction (from Asia) is always harder for me. I also might take a short nap.

Enjoy your cruise and flight.

• Thanks 1

I do these flights a few times each month, and I basically just...well, suffer is the right term. I do try to get an hour or two of sleep on the flight if possible, especially if I know I'll be up late that evening, but that isn't always possible. Just keep hydrated and tough it out. I know that sounds like a cop out, but there's really not much you can do except just push yourself through it. 

Movies help, too, to make the time pass quicker. At least to me they do. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I do these flights a few times each month, and I basically just...well, suffer is the right term. I do try to get an hour or two of sleep on the flight if possible, especially if I know I'll be up late that evening, but that isn't always possible. Just keep hydrated and tough it out. I know that sounds like a cop out, but there's really not much you can do except just push yourself through it. 

Movies help, too, to make the time pass quicker. At least to me they do. 

This has been my experience in the past! Since my last long flight traveling west I have had knee and hip replacements so know I need to move around. We can no longer manage the squish of economy, or even premium economy! Thanks for the reminder about hydration -- I have put a reminder in my notes to get a bottle of water before we board the plane. 

There is an 8 hr time difference between southern NM and Rome so we need to plan for that. 

15 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

Thanks for the reminder about hydration -- I have put a reminder in my notes to get a bottle of water before we board the plane. 

Just an idea - I always carry an empty plastic drinking bottle with me and fill it after security (as long as I am in a place where the water is safe). Then it's free, and you may be more likely to fill it if you're carrying the bottle around (both at the airport and throughout your trip...hydration is key to everything!) 

• Like 2

Personally, westbound transatlantic flights in biz class are my favorite type of flights.  It's daytime so I don't typically feel like I need to sleep, which is hard for me even in biz class lie-flat seats.  You'll have entertainment screens and meal service, so I look at it as a relaxing "couch potato" kind of day.  Dress comfy, and enjoy a day of relaxing/reclining, while watching movies and having a meal or two.  In between movies I visit the lav to stretch my legs.   Be sure to drink plenty of water to stay hyrdrated in the dry airplane environment.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Personally, westbound transatlantic flights in biz class are my favorite type of flights.  It's daytime so I don't typically feel like I need to sleep, which is hard for me even in biz class lie-flat seats.  You'll have entertainment screens and meal service, so I look at it as a relaxing "couch potato" kind of day.  Dress comfy, and enjoy a day of relaxing/reclining, while watching movies and having a meal or two.  In between movies I visit the lav to stretch my legs.   Be sure to drink plenty of water to stay hyrdrated in the dry airplane environment.

Yep! My employer and I have an understanding that I generally don't do work on flights, because I am so busy once I am at my destination and the flight is kind of my time to relax and recoup. Those westbound Europe to North America flights are my chance to have a few drinks in the lounge (even if it's morning), veg out on the plane and watch movies (with a few more drinks), and if I fall asleep I fall asleep. It's great. And yes, I drink a TON of water in addition to the alcohol 🙂

• Like 1