AUSTRALIAN WILDFIRES

azgrandmax3

29 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

One port that is visited on occasional cruises is Eden, south of Sydney. That would be a 'no-go' at the moment. Other than that, the ports that cruise ships visit have not been directly impacted, other than some smoke on some days.

Princess ports at Kangaroo Island and I know they are having pretty nasty fires there. I'm boggled that they have arrested so many people for arson. What the heck is wrong with people...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Princess ports at Kangaroo Island and I know they are having pretty nasty fires there. I'm boggled that they have arrested so many people for arson. What the heck is wrong with people...

So true. Sorry I forgot Kangaroo Island. How could I! Two men died in the fire and thousands of koalas and kangaroos. ☹️

People who commit arson and also looters, should be dealt with harshly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, waltd said:

Has anyone heard if flights in and out of Sydney or Melbourne  have been diverted due to heavy smoke?

I do not believe that flights in or out of Sydney or Melbourne have been affected. One of our CC members who lives in Canberra, reported that at the peak of the fires, flights were not operating in or out of Canberra.

6 hours ago, Thrak said:

Many of the so-called arson reports are fake news.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

Yes they have arrested too many people with lighting fires. Reports are that about 85% of the fires are human caused, either by accidents or deliberately lit. That doesn't always suit the climate change agendas of some though...but let's not go there. 

Hopefully there appears to be some rain about in a few areas which will assist, but I wouldn't let the fires influence anyone's travel plans.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, leck57 said:

Yes they have arrested too many people with lighting fires. Reports are that about 85% of the fires are human caused, either by accidents or deliberately lit. That doesn't always suit the climate change agendas of some though...but let's not go there. 

Ah, no, sorry. You've been reading the fake news. It's nowhere near 85%. Lightning has started a number of fires, others have started from wind-blown embers. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Ah, no, sorry. You've been reading the fake news. It's nowhere near 85%. Lightning has started a number of fires, others have started from wind-blown embers. 

No I am actually able to work out fake news. Isn't a wind blown ember from a fire?.....that may be from one of the 85% caused by humans. I think at last count more than 60 people across the Country had been charged - about 30 for deliberately lighting and about the same again for doing things like throwing cig butts out of car windows.

Anyway does it matter? Thrak mentioned he couldn't believe so many have been arrested, and I agreed with him. That figure has come from many news sources but more importantly the fire people. I also said many have been accidents. But really, does it matter.   

12 hours ago, leck57 said:

One expert in this weekend's paper estimated that close to 40% of the fires were deliberately lit. Ugh.

Apparently the figure of 180 that has been quoted as the number of arsonists has some basis in reality, but it has been misrepresented. Here is a quote:

Since November, authorities in NSW have charged or cautioned 183 people for some 200 bushfire-related offences – malicious and otherwise.

Of those, 24 people have been charged with deliberately lighting bushfires.

Another 53 were charged or cautioned for failing to comply with a total fire ban and another 47 with discarding a lit cigarette.

Edited by Aus Traveller

22 hours ago, waltd said:

Has anyone heard if flights in and out of Sydney or Melbourne  have been diverted due to heavy smoke?

I flew out of Sydney on Wednesday for Melbourne no issues with flying in smokey conditions.

However, travelling up the coastline from Melbourne to Sydney was very smokey. The smoke from bushfires got into the ships air conditioning could smell it all throughout the ship.