RCI Deluxe Beverage Package

M3rge

Hi everybody!

I booked a cruise for 7 days Western Caribbean aboard of the Symphony of the Seas. Out of 7 days, 2 are cruising and 1 will be at CocoCay which the package is also covered to be used there as well. Adding this would be almost an extra 1,000 for both on the entire trip.

We are not hardcore drinkers, we pretty much do it in a social way if we go to a restaurant or we meet friends, which is not everyday of our lives.

If we decide to not get this package but we still want to drink alcohol, how this works?

Anybody had purchase this package in a similar trip that could provide some feedback about this?

I know is hard to respond things like this because everybody is different but I'm definitely open to hear any type of drinker.

Thanks!

If you don't have a package, your beverages (including espresso drinks from the cafe) will simply be added to your room's charge (to the credit card or payment method you have authorized).

Our only RCI cruise was transAtlantic with many seadays. But what was true of that cruise was that, the prices for beverage package (and internet if that is of interest) fluctuated up to several times a day. You could buy and cancel at will -- finally I changed my purchase three times in one afternoon! It was in September and apparently they were trying out the Black Friday specials, because I never saw it at the price until then -- I never changed from that, and I did relax about watching!

Head over here 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/51-royal-caribbean-international/

and see if RCI is still using "dynamic pricing" and if so, watch your package prices like a hawk (until you are happy with what you've got at least). Two things about the $1000 price -- it could go up -- and if it doesn't go down, you can still cancel it. Well, depending on when you sail; I don't think you said.

• Like 1

Royal used dynamic pricing for our Anthem cruise and we were able to buy it for $46 pp/pd plus gratuity. We had 3 sea days and 1 day at Coco Cay. On one of the days (I believe we were in Florida) we had 2 drinks a piece after being ashore all day and getting tuckered out. Because we had the package we didn't skimp, we tried every drink I'd ever heard of and any drink on the menu that looked good. We had several specialty coffees during the week, both with and without alcohol. No sodas, no milk shakes and a few bottled waters. At the end of the week I figured that our mixed drinks cost us around $7.50 each because of the package. But, we did drink much more than normal and ingested a lot of empty calories along the way. It was nice to try a bunch of new drinks but I'm not sure we'll buy a package again, it will depend on the itinerary, who we are sailing with (we were by ourselves last cruise) and of course the cost of the package.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Royal used dynamic pricing for our Anthem cruise and we were able to buy it for $46 pp/pd plus gratuity. We had 3 sea days and 1 day at Coco Cay. On one of the days (I believe we were in Florida) we had 2 drinks a piece after being ashore all day and getting tuckered out. Because we had the package we didn't skimp, we tried every drink I'd ever heard of and any drink on the menu that looked good. We had several specialty coffees during the week, both with and without alcohol. No sodas, no milk shakes and a few bottled waters. At the end of the week I figured that our mixed drinks cost us around $7.50 each because of the package. But, we did drink much more than normal and ingested a lot of empty calories along the way. It was nice to try a bunch of new drinks but I'm not sure we'll buy a package again, it will depend on the itinerary, who we are sailing with (we were by ourselves last cruise) and of course the cost of the package.

One perk is that you can stock up on bottled waters to bring ashore on shore days. I'm a huge water drinker, so I try to drink a bottle or water for almost every alcoholic drink I do. But by getting a bottle of water with each drink (no problem with this, just ask), you are able to not only keep hydrated but also have a few extra bottles of water to throw in your bag when you go ashore. This was a fairly large perk for us and one we did factor in to the overall cost. 

Remember that fresh squeezed orange juice and specialty coffees (espresso, cappucino, lattes) are included.

Also all non-alcoholic drinks, like sodas and bottled water.

On sea days, we are always way ahead with the package.  On port days, it is about even to sometimes even negative.  But not by much.

• Like 1

Howdy @M3rge and welcome to Cruise Critic!! emo22.gif

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum that is for general questions about cruising. 👍  

Since your thread concerns a specific cruise line and their beverage package, I have moved your thread to the Royal Caribbean International forum where it will be on-topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed or will be sailing RCI frequent that forum. I feel sure anyone that has used the package would provide you some feedback there.

I sincerely hope this will be satisfactory and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Quite a commonly discussed thread & yes everybody is different,we recently did Quantum's 12 night repo cruise for which we were quoted £38pppn +18% for the deluxe drink package making over £1100(the on board price was higher) which seemed way too much,certainly more than we would normally spend in a 2 week period.

Every other day was a shore day which of course limited drinking time on board,we ended up buying drinks as & when we wanted & both ended up with bills around $200 so well worth it for us.

There were many on board who seemed determined to prove how worthwhile the package was,discussing the pros & cons with one lady for half an hour saw her polishing off 2 Pina Coladas & a Scotch,wouldn't like to see her bar bill at home if that was normal!

19 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

One perk is that you can stock up on bottled waters to bring ashore on shore days. I'm a huge water drinker, so I try to drink a bottle or water for almost every alcoholic drink I do. But by getting a bottle of water with each drink (no problem with this, just ask), you are able to not only keep hydrated but also have a few extra bottles of water to throw in your bag when you go ashore. This was a fairly large perk for us and one we did factor in to the overall cost. 

Yes, that is included but for some reason we didn't end up doing that very much.