Tabyana and Mayan Princess Question

SweetPea0517

I have read posts on these places but still have some questions so I can make a decision on which one.  We will be coming from a Carnival ship.  I have checked out the Utube videos on both places which really helped, thanks to the lady that suggested that!  I had originally planned on going to the Infinity resort but not comfortable with that plan since it is not a Carnival excursion and read mixed reviews on the transportation.  

Is Tabyana beach in the area with all of the boats that you need to watch out for?  

If we go to Mayan Princess resort how is the snorkeling there?  I understand it will not have the reputation as Infinity.  

Which place has the better lunch?  Calmer water? 
We liked the idea of all inclusive but didn’t want to sacrifice the snorkeling for it.  

F3E1F569-2E6B-4320-832F-B01CC34E8319.thumb.png.b15334eb44df3d99bd0be1a3b95848f6.pngAs you can see, the reef is a bit closer to the beach the further down you do.  Mayan Princess at the top of the picture is a pretty good walk from Infinity and points further down.  Not too many boats except where you see them near the pier in front of Infinity, although you should always be looking out for them.  In my experience the snorkeling closer to the beach is pretty good from about Paradise Beach down to the end of the beach.  The calmness of the water will depend largely on the wind and weather conditions.  Tabayana is just down from Infinity and, while there may be a boat traveling that stretch, i haven’t felt unsafe in the water there.  There are pools at Paradise and Infinity but not at Tabayana.  Food is subjective so I will only say that I was disappointed in the food at Paradise.  Food is expensive all along the resort areas but what we had there wasn’t very good.  We don’t drink so I can’t comment on any of the all-inclusive options.  As for transportation, we used Shoreexcursioneer for our trip to Paradise 2 years ago and their service was excellent.  The motor coach was nice and with the usual exception of stupid people showing up late and causing delays it was a good experience.  We have also used Victor Bodden just as a driver and very much liked that process.  The one time we went to Tayabana was first thing in the morning and when it got to be lunch time I was done snorkeling so we had the driver take us to West End Village for lunch.  Lots of good restaurants there.  Good food for a bit less money although, when you factored in the cost of the driver the cost was probably about the same.  It really all depends on what you want to do.  

• Like 1

Lifes-a-beach - thanks for the picture that really helped with seeing where each place is listed.  I was reviewing more U-Tube videos to see the different places and I found this guy that walked the beach area so I could tell my husband will be able to Infinity and the other videos helped me with the decision to go to Tabyana with the ship excursion.  Thanks for your input!

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 9:40 PM, lake show cruiser said:

Hi, we are scheduled to go to Infinity in April with the transportation. We were told it was $20 per person for infinity day pass and $20 per person for round trip from Coxen Hole. (Royal cruise port). Where did you read bad reviews about the transportation? Thanks

There are some posts here in CC but there are just as many reviews of people having great experiences.  I don’t understand where we meet to get the transportation, meaning is it in the port or not.  Then I have not heard back from the one company I did email with my questions.  It was https://roatancruiseexcursions.com

I am not committing if they can’t tell me where we meet at🤷‍♀️

16 hours ago, lifes-a-beach said:

F3E1F569-2E6B-4320-832F-B01CC34E8319.thumb.png.b15334eb44df3d99bd0be1a3b95848f6.pngAs you can see, the reef is a bit closer to the beach the further down you do.  Mayan Princess at the top of the picture is a pretty good walk from Infinity and points further down.  Not too many boats except where you see them near the pier in front of Infinity, although you should always be looking out for them.  In my experience the snorkeling closer to the beach is pretty good from about Paradise Beach down to the end of the beach.  The calmness of the water will depend largely on the wind and weather conditions.  Tabayana is just down from Infinity and, while there may be a boat traveling that stretch, i haven’t felt unsafe in the water there.  There are pools at Paradise and Infinity but not at Tabayana.  Food is subjective so I will only say that I was disappointed in the food at Paradise.  Food is expensive all along the resort areas but what we had there wasn’t very good.  We don’t drink so I can’t comment on any of the all-inclusive options.  As for transportation, we used Shoreexcursioneer for our trip to Paradise 2 years ago and their service was excellent.  The motor coach was nice and with the usual exception of stupid people showing up late and causing delays it was a good experience.  We have also used Victor Bodden just as a driver and very much liked that process.  The one time we went to Tayabana was first thing in the morning and when it got to be lunch time I was done snorkeling so we had the driver take us to West End Village for lunch.  Lots of good restaurants there.  Good food for a bit less money although, when you factored in the cost of the driver the cost was probably about the same.  It really all depends on what you want to do.  

I am confused by your description of Tabayana.

I thought this was a cruise only excursion. Are you saying you took the cruise ship excursion but managed to pick up a private driver at West Bay to take you to West End and left the cruise Tour? Or did you have a prívate driver for the day and just happened to snorkel in front of Tabyana?

Edited by c-leg5

As far as where to meet...

since you are on a Carnival ship...  Mahogany bay is built, run, and owned by Carnival.  No outside vendors can enter the gates.  

If you book the Carnival excursion you will meet in the shopping area, and board a bus there at their parking lot.  

If you book an outside vendor, Bodden or Rony's for example, you have to walk out the gate and down the hill next to the road to meet them.  They should give you that information if you book with them.  

11 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

As far as where to meet...

since you are on a Carnival ship...  Mahogany bay is built, run, and owned by Carnival.  No outside vendors can enter the gates.  

If you book the Carnival excursion you will meet in the shopping area, and board a bus there at their parking lot.  

If you book an outside vendor, Bodden or Rony's for example, you have to walk out the gate and down the hill next to the road to meet them.  They should give you that information if you book with them.  

Walking out the gate down the hill then back up it when we return is exactly what we can’t do😳
So we decided to just do Tabyana Beach since it is right by Infinity.  I really appreciate everyone’s input on this!

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 11:25 PM, lake show cruiser said:

We got our transportation through Infinity Resort. They told us to email here to schedule the transportation. We emailed and he was very responsive and emailed us right back for confirmation. Here’s the email activities@infinitybay.com

We are thinking of going to Infinity as well.  I have emailed a few times and received a response within a day or two. 

Do you know how long the ride is from Coxen Hole to the resort?  I think we are doing the all inclusive package as it's our first stop on the cruise after two sea days and I'm sure we can use a nice relaxing beach day. 🙂 

It should be about 30 minutes from Coxen hole to Infinity Bay Resort, unless they are still working on the main road to get there. When we were there last April they were working on the road and only one direction was allowed to go at a time. I would imagine the construction on the road is finished now. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SweetPea0517 said:

Walking out the gate down the hill then back up it when we return is exactly what we can’t do😳
So we decided to just do Tabyana Beach since it is right by Infinity.  I really appreciate everyone’s input on this!

I haven’t been to Mahogany as we always dock at Coxen Hole. They used to allow independent drivers in to bring you back and there were taxis to take you from the port to the driver meet-up point. Has this stopped?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 9:20 PM, SweetPea0517 said:

My mom can't walk up a hill and take that long walk either. However there is a Taxi area inside the port for 2.00 will take you to the area over the hill outside the gates to meet your tour.  This is what we did when we took Victor Bodden's tour. 

On 1/14/2020 at 2:39 PM, lake show cruiser said:

It should be about 30 minutes from Coxen hole to Infinity Bay Resort, unless they are still working on the main road to get there. When we were there last April they were working on the road and only one direction was allowed to go at a time. I would imagine the construction on the road is finished now. 

I was on the island last week. Indeed all the road work between Coxen Hole and West Bay is complete. 

On 1/24/2020 at 2:24 PM, dperki1 said:

My mom can't walk up a hill and take that long walk either. However there is a Taxi area inside the port for 2.00 will take you to the area over the hill outside the gates to meet your tour.  This is what we did when we took Victor Bodden's tour. 

that is perfect!  Thanks for letting us know!

On 1/30/2020 at 10:47 AM, SweetPea0517 said:

I have another question on Tabyana beach excursion with Carnival.  Since the excursion does not include food and drinks, do you run a tab or pay as you go?

We visited Tabyana beach last May and we will able to run a tab.  

On 1/13/2020 at 8:20 PM, SweetPea0517 said:

While you have to walk outside the fence to meet the private tours,they bring you back in the fence.  Been here several times always private tours.  The outside is not bad if rushing.  I'm a slightly chubby woman and take my time walking

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to come back here to let everyone know we went to Tabyana Beach through Carnival’s excursion and it really enjoyed it!

It was nice how the staff helped us with what worked best for us, they moved some chairs for us to sit in instead of the lounge chairs.  We didn’t find the people selling their items annoying, you will have to tell them ‘no’ every time you walk by one and just keep walking but that didn’t bother us.

The area and beach was so pretty we would go back to this place again.  We really liked being able to go out multiple times snorkeling unlike when you do a boat snorkel trip.  The local people will go out with you if you want them to show you some of the areas.  

Thanks again for sharing your information!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...