Seabourn Air

bigmjh

We have found they have put us on United or Star Alliance partners (except to Reykjavik where it was IcelandAir, a significant but not unexpected downgrade) but we fly out of Dulles. United is not great but we are used to it out of Dulles. Its European partners, such as SAS from Copenhagen, like most international carriers, are better.  We have learned to always check Seabourn air, since it is sometimes, but not always, significantly cheaper. Our last two cruises Seabourn’s fare was over $1000 per person lower for business class air to Europe on convenient flights. They also accommodated a deviation of a flight into a different Italian city than the embarkation port, so we could do some pre-cruise touring.

Seabourn seems to have arrangements with lots of airlines, not all of them advantageous.  We've booked United from Florida to California, American from Chile to California, and recently Alitalia from California to Greece.

We flew Air Canada and Lufthansa booking through Seabourn for one cruise and JAL (partnered with American Airlines booking through Seabourn for another cruise.  

By the way, we really disliked Lufthansa as their Business Class was quite substandard.   

Edited by SLSD

6 hours ago, cuddles115 said:

We flew Emirates to Athens.  We got a price from Seabourn Air as well as the airlines and got a much better price from a consolidator.  IMHO that's the way to go (pardon the pun)

I should add that the quoted fare through Seabourn Air was about $150 higher than booking directly with Emirates for our flight. However, since we had a $500 air credit per person as part of our deal, we still came out way ahead. Had we not had the air credit I would have booked directly with Emirates. I have had some bad experiences with consolidators so I tend to avoid them.

I am glad though that we were able to book through Seabourn Air, because now it is all part of our Seabourn reservation in case of any issues.

We had an Air Credit for our cruise in October, our agent priced flights then rang Seabourn to get their price. Seabourn were about $1000 cheaper than the TA so we were all set to book when the agent at Seabourn told us that once booked any changes or cancellation meant 100% loss of fare!!! Our TA queried this as she had never heard of this before, she also checked the changes/cancellation direct with the airline (Qantas/AA) and it is $400 pp. We thought it over and decided for $1000 we could not risk the Seabourn flights so have booked direct with Qantas.

Is this the norm with Seabourn Air around the world??

Can't comment on Seabourn FlightEase cancellation penalties, but it's clear that the Seabourn offering is very variable. We chose our own flight itenerary with lengthy stop-overs and favourable flight times from UK to NZ and return from Aus to UK in 2018; asked our TA to check prices with Seabourn, and they came in - without any air credit - at around $250 less than we could get booking ourselves. So we booked with Seabourn.  This year, Seabourn were offering $500 p.p. air credit on the cruise we wanted. Their price came in at $1000 more (with the air credit!) than we could get booking ourselves ! !

As others have said: do your research and calculate the costs of booking your own flights and then see if Seabourn can match or better that price. If yes, go with Seabourn. If no, do it yourselves.

Booking ourselves, Business with Singapore Airlines, the penalty for cancelation is 'only' $200.

On 1/14/2020 at 2:07 PM, lisa6191 said:

I should add that the quoted fare through Seabourn Air was about $150 higher than booking directly with Emirates for our flight. However, since we had a $500 air credit per person as part of our deal, we still came out way ahead. Had we not had the air credit I would have booked directly with Emirates. I have had some bad experiences with consolidators so I tend to avoid them.

I am glad though that we were able to book through Seabourn Air, because now it is all part of our Seabourn reservation in case of any issues.

That came in handy for us when our end port changed from Istanbul to Athens a few years ago after an incident. We did have to ask our TA to help fix the re- booking (there were further complications when flight got cancelled for weather) but it all worked out. The airport transfers from ship to airport were also covered when we booked through Seabourn. That was a good value Dover to Heathrow last year, lunch was included. Sometimes the price works, sometimes it doesn't make sense.

20 minutes ago, jozi said:

That came in handy for us when our end port changed from Istanbul to Athens a few years ago after an incident. We did have to ask our TA to help fix the re- booking (there were further complications when flight got cancelled for weather) but it all worked out. The airport transfers from ship to airport were also covered when we booked through Seabourn. That was a good value Dover to Heathrow last year, lunch was included. Sometimes the price works, sometimes it doesn't make sense.

The airport transfers were included? I can see where I can book transfers through Seabourn, but it looks like I would have to pay. Maybe I should call and ask. I only need them on one end. 

1 hour ago, lisa6191 said:

The airport transfers were included? I can see where I can book transfers through Seabourn, but it looks like I would have to pay. Maybe I should call and ask. I only need them on one end. 

Only if you book air with them. I think they’ll also do airport to ship but only on day of; I find it too risky/stressful to fly/arrive day of.  But I think earlier arrival transfers and hotel to ship are only included  when you book hotel through them, which tends to be expensive.

When we started a cruise last year from Copenhagen, Seabourn had booked people at our hotel. They were taken by private cars to the ships. Those of us staying at the hotel by our own arrangements had to pay for transportation. The hotel had arranged a bus and it was fine. it would have been about same price for a taxi but I figured the bus would know where to go. (Taxis sometimes seem to guess.)

I always check prices as Seabourn is not always cheaper but you do have to take into account other benefits. If your flight arrives the day before or even  very early in the morning an hotel room is included. We arrive in Dubai at 7.30 am  but have been told we will be taken for a meal before being taken to the port. The same on departure if you have a late afternoon flight or evening flight Either a meal or a day room is supplied. When you take all that as well as transportation into consideration  their flights can look even better value. Also if you flight is badly delayed , they will  get you to the next port. The headline price is not everything.

I’ll have to call and ask. Our flights are several days before and after the cruise, but we are going straight from our debarkation In Athens to the airport to fly to Santorini. I wonder if they will give us a transfer? Maybe not since it’s not to one of their flights. Oh well, can’t hurt to ask. 

In April, we are arriving in Manaus the day before embarkation with flights booked through SB Air./Flight Ease.   They aren't providing or offering us a hotel and/or transfers.  They have given us a quote for a hotel of £490 to include transfers, (this is very expensive for the area!) or £460 just for the transfer to/from a hotel we book. Strange!   Given I have researched and the cost for a taxi is about $20 from airport to central hotels, we said No.  

When I queried this, SB have told our TA it's because the ship is in Manaus for two days, so unless we arrive by plane on the first of the two days, they won't provide transfers.  As flights don't get in to Manaus until 1930 and we probably wouldn't get to the ship until 2100, we declined.   We love the first day on ship and don't want to arrive travel weary after 19 hours flights with 2 changes late on the first day !  We did think it was a bit unfair as SB normally like you to arrive the day before embarkation and if you book flights through them, they provide transfers.  Obviously not in this case!

3 hours ago, dalliowner said:

I think transfers are only included  when you take the Seabourn flights suggested by them, if you want to arrive on a different day they are not included.

If I remember correctly, this was what was suggested by them but it was so long ago I can't remember.  Maybe they offered something on embarkation day and what you say would explain it!  

14 minutes ago, bigmjh said:

I was just inquiring about air with SB rep and was told "... transfers are included if you fly in on embarkation day ... if you fly in early, you're on your own unless you have hotel arrangements by SB."

Interesting.  We've always flown in the day before embarkation and got a good deal with hotel and transfers!  

A word of warning before you book your flights with Seabourn Air (FlightEase). I boarded the Seabourn Odyssey on 21st December with my husband for our honeymoon. We had a PH for 4 weeks. My parents joined us on 4th Jan for our last 2 weeks. My 82 year old mother was ill for the last 3 days of the trip and was disembarked by ambulance to a hospital in Barbados on 18th January therefore missing our flight back to the UK. My 83 year old father has dementia and currently we are in a hotel here. My mother was discharged today and has been pronounced fit to fly by the doctor after suffering with pulmonary congestion. My problem is this, we booked our tickets with Seabourn Flight Ease, first class with BA. I am unable to access the booking as it says agent has to do it. I now hear from BA that Seabourn called to amend the ticket but BA needed further information. Seabourn did not go back to them until after the flight had left so we were classed as No Shows. BA have said that it is down to Seabourn to sort it out, they are the named party on the Atol certificate. Seabourn Family Assistance in Seattle are telling us that they can not assist us and our only choice is to purchase tickets for c$21,000Us, 3 club seats and 1 premium economy. I am getting no where fast! Having spent over £60,000 on this trip I feel that Seabourn have left us high and dry!

Had a similar situation on another cruise line where we had booked flight thru their air program.  I contacted airline and was told only cruise line air department could change flights.  Cruise line air department was not open and the need to change flights was immediate.  TA could do nothing.  Had to purchase new costly flights.  Fortunately had travel insurance that covered the problem and recovered all extra costs associated with the event.  Moral of the story.  Make sure to purchase travel insurance.  Do not use cruise line air departments.  I would rather have complete control of my travel arrangements and use credits for air from cruise line to help offset cost of flights.  Also allows us to use mileage/points awards to help offset flight costs.