Regent clarifies (no) tipping policy

Anchorbuoy

3 hours ago, rallydave said:

Guess you would not then be upset if the "gift" that you gave caused the person to lose his or her job?

Well, if their job is really in peril( and I dont know why but I doubt it), it behooves the crew member/ staff to decline it

3 hours ago, wcsdkqh said:

I believe we are already paying for “super above service”.

It's not that I disagree with you, because I really do agree - however there is that time, a special party in your suite, a special dinner that all stops are pull out or something else very special too you.

• Like 2

To those of you who wish to disregard the policy on tipping - I'm curious to know if you also disregard other policies such as dress code? Somehow I doubt it. so why is it ok to disregard one policy over another? A policy or rule is just that and should be adhered to - if you don't like a policy (such as dress code or tipping) then choose another line. Simple!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, westmount said:

Without trying to sound old fashion, the tipping policy allows everyone to leave the ship without feeling guilty that they did not tip any of the staff. Regent is certainly charging enough to cover what other ships charge $18 per day per person etc, which can be very annoying. That said, I just came off the Explorer last week, and not once did any employee refuse my thank you and tips during the trip. 

We were a large family group and the crew did its best to allow us to eat and play together. I'm also a believer that are members don't really make a lot of money, so if they are willing and able to make us cruisers happy throughout a trip, giving them a few bucks can never be a bad thing. 

Next trip is Seabourn from Capetown, and  will advise if anyone there refuses a tip, but I would be insulted if they did. 

No tipping policy allows a passenger to leave without guilt, but if you like the service you received, or the people you are dealing with, go for it, it won't really hurt. 

Did i mention we had a couple of the loud kids as part of our group ( other thread) i feel for those who don't want kids on the ship, but then we passed a viking cruise who don't allow kids under 18, so my suggestion is avoid christmas cruises, flights, or hotels during the holidays, i know i would if not doing a family trip. 

Oh, so those were your kids? I was on that cruise on Explorer, and I expected children onboard during the holidays. Now, I don't know how much the fare was for the children. If they paid, then a portion of their fare was gratuities (I guess). However, I saw children in high chairs, and I don't see anything wrong with leaving some extra for the restaurant staff or suite attendants. Hope they all enjoyed their time.

52 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

To those of you who wish to disregard the policy on tipping - I'm curious to know if you also disregard other policies such as dress code? Somehow I doubt it. so why is it ok to disregard one policy over another? A policy or rule is just that and should be adhered to - if you don't like a policy (such as dress code or tipping) then choose another line. Simple!

Again I somewhat agree with you, however it's not the passengers responsibility to enforce Regents policy.  It's Regents responsibility to do that and only Regents, not the passengers.   

It seems i can cover two hot topics on one thread. 

On the tipping issue, I would say the policy of all inclusive, especially on Regent, makes it very easy to calculate your cruise expense. i truly like to pay and know i'm not going to get nickel and dime , and while knowing I'm probably paying more than if done al la carte, having an open bar and "free" excursions makes everyone on the ship more relaxed and eager to participate in all events. How many times on a line like  Oceania , which is pretty nice on its own merit, is the Captains party full of life " open bar" and then next night its dead in all the bars. 

NOT having to pay a per diem tip at the end of the cruise, or having envelopes handed to you to distribute really bothers me, so i believe all inclusive has nothing to do with NO tipping. If your stewardess, bartender, butler, coffee server made your tour a fantastic journey, then what i do with my money is my business, and i really doubt it affects how you enjoyed your vacation. Whatever Regent pays its employees is probably not the same as your dental hygienist, or the fireman, or your local Mayor, so cut the crews who work on six month contracts away from home to make our vacations better. 

The crew funds are also not a bad thing if you want to take care of the unseen staff. 

On the family and kids issue, we were quite a large group, about 23 family members, from age 1 to 84. The one year old never made it to dinner, didn't sit in a highchair, but certainly could be heard when not happy. The cruise did have a lot of young kids, but outside of the occasional bit of noise, most were great and seem to have a good time. 

I did see a "regular " Regent type passenger plucking prunes, fruit, and cookies  from the honour bar next to the coffee house with his fingers etc, and thought what type of disgusting passengers does Regent let on?  If you want to critique passengers, watch what people do when they think no one is watching. 

Bottom line

!. Don't book a christmas cruise if you don't want to see kids ( Viking exception) 

2. Seabourn, Crystal and regent tipping policies are good. You don't have to pay more than what you paid for, , but if you want to tip for whatever reason you have , go for it. 

3. Enjoy every cruise you'll ever be on, it sure beats the alternative. 

29 minutes ago, westmount said:

NOT having to pay a per diem tip at the end of the cruise, or having envelopes handed to you to distribute really bothers me, so i believe all inclusive has nothing to do with NO tipping. If your stewardess, bartender, butler, coffee server made your tour a fantastic journey, then what i do with my money is my business, and i really doubt it affects how you enjoyed your vacation. Whatever Regent pays its employees is probably not the same as your dental hygienist, or the fireman, or your local Mayor, so cut the crews who work on six month contracts away from home to make our vacations better. 

So, you want to have this no tipping situation your way no matter what Regent says the rules are and you want to tempt crew members to break rules of their employment with money when the cruise line says that crew members are not allowed to accept tips.

Appears your wants puts you in the category of the last paragraph of your post.   UGH!!!!!

3 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

It's not that I disagree with you, because I really do agree - however there is that time, a special party in your suite, a special dinner that all stops are pull out or something else very special too you.

I figure if a passenger is having a special party in their suite, it is probably a “named” suite.  I bet butlers that are assigned to such suites already get extra compensation because of such special events and requests and high expectations.  Do I know this...no...just makes sense in the butler progression and promotion. 

Edited by rcandkc

1 hour ago, rcandkc said:

I figure if a passenger is having a special party in their suite, it is probably a “named” suite.  I bet butlers that are assigned to such suites already get extra compensation because of such special events and requests and high expectations.  Do I know this...no...just makes sense in the butler progression and promotion. 

Maybe you're right I don't know.  But I do know that even in the named suites, some Butlers are good as they should be, some not so great but get the job done and some go out of their way and do more than expected or should expect.  That's life!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Maybe you're right I don't know.  But I do know that even in the named suites, some Butlers are good as they should be, some not so great but get the job done and some go out of their way and do more than expected or should expect.  That's life!

2 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Sorry for double quote...don’t know how I managed that.  Anyway, this is where feedback to corporate is so important, More important than an extra gratuity or not. At least, in my opinion. 

Let me plead the 5th amendment on this issue. In my travels as a cruiser on many of the better lines, it was always my pleasure to tip our stewardess/butler for being helpful and pleasant. We have breakfast in our room every morning and expect our room to always be perfectly clean. Most of our cruises have been rather lengthy, so you get to know your personal staff over time, and if warranted, a thank you note with a gift will always seem the right thing to do. I always try and make a donation to the staff fund, as it answers my desire to take care of the many who help but are not in a position to get a personal note and gratuity. 

If Regent or Seabourn were to send out a message on the first day of the cruise and asked all passengers to refrain from tipping anyone, I would probably adhere to the policy, but so far, I have not seen that note. 

I certainly enjoy the no forced service charge, and repeat, believe there's a difference between all inclusive and no tipping. 

When on Seabourn next month, if i get a letter from the Captain asking me not to tip anyone on his staff, i promise to adhere to it, but don't expect to see it either.

Happy cruising to all. 

• Like 1

If you really want people to abide by this stance then so state it in the "Terms and Conditions" sent to every passenger prior to sailing, or clearly put the policy in the pre-cruise documents.  I doubt that a very high percentage of customers actually read the online FAQ.  I certainly would never have never known of the change had it not been for the OP and CC.

In addition to shuguley’s point, I am currently on the Voyager. In the precruise booklet they send “Welcome Aboard” under gratuities all it says is “All shipboard gratuities for Regent Seven Seas Cruises employees are included in your cruise fare. Tips for spa services are included in your service charge”. I have to assume many more Regent passengers look at the precruise booklet than ever look at these boards or read the online FAQs.

14 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Not trying to be argumentative, but I disagree.  I only began sailing Regent last year so I speak only from limited experience.  But I didn't find Regent's policy "muddled."  They quite clearly asked that any "appreciation" be shown by a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund.  Seems clear to me.  And the new policy is quite specific, tips are "neither expected nor accepted."  How is that "muddled?" We are, presumably, relatively intelligent adults.  Why is adhering to the policy of a cruise line difficult?  I don't know how Regent pays their crew, nor do I care.  Just like how I earned my pay (before I retired) was between my employer and  me, so it is with cruise line employees.   I never walked into a business and asked myself what each employee earns, what portion of my cost goes to whom.  So why would I do that on a cruise ship?  

As for the Spa, I was in on that conversation regarding "service charge" vs. "tip."  Maybe that's why they changed the term to "service charge."  But who cares?  Pay it or have it removed.  And who cares who gets the money?  Not my problem.  

As for "free prepaid gratuities," it's simply a marketing scheme.   They aren't really gratuities at all as you can't have them removed.  Why get hung up on semantics?  

Ironically, on other boards, people are clamoring for other cruise lines to include gratuities in the fare like Regent does.  They hate the auto-tips and they hate having to pay at the end or to tip as they go.  Seems the passenger's desire is to eliminate tipping on all cruise lines.   

Anyway,  just my thoughts. 

If you search back through older threads on tipping (yes, only if you are a masochist) you will find that Regent's policy has been confusing to guests.  However in one thread last year Jason OKeefe

wrote on March 18, 2019  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2644887-regents-crew-welfare-fund/page/5/?tab=comments#comment-57055600:  

"Regent is proud to include gratuities in the cruise fare for all onboard employees and tipping is not expected onboard.  We hope that none of our guests ever feel intimidated otherwise. 

Guests wishing to tip for “above and beyond” service is a personal decision.  It would be difficult for us to police this, nor do we want to develop crew restrictions around this."

There was another thread on CC in 2019 about a Regent move to facilitate guests' ability to give crew members gift certificates including a comment from Jason Montague of Regent that defended this procedure https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2663188-regentnclh-implements-new-tipping-program/page/2/.  (There was a lot of opposition to this on the CC thread.)

So Regent's policy about tipping has always recognized that it is okay if guests give tips if they wish and crew may accept them.

Now we suddenly have some language from the Regent website that says something entirely different.  Tips will not be accepted.  This is a major change and I would think that if it is true, that it would warrant more than a line of text buried somewhere on the website. Regent has a history of strange misstatements on the website that are left up for a long time, e.g., fiber-optic internet speeds that were said to exist on the Regent fleet.  In addition we have the current thread about tips or service charges being added to the bills from the onboard spa, which some (including me) assume to be a tip.  So, yes, the policy is muddled if the spa staff can seek tips but the room service staff cannot accept them.

In addition if staff cannot accept tips then I think is only fair to the staff and guests to be frank about that onboard and in a press release or other open communication.  I don't wish to tempt staff with a tip if in fact they will be fired for accepting one and I don't think it is fair to staff to have to be the first to inform guests they they cannot accept tips or gifts.

So given Regent's history of website misstatements, I wonder if the one-sentence answer to a question is really true or is this just another website misstatement. It would be quite simple for someone from Regent to respond on to this ongoing thread and clarify.

If you are okay with Regent's messaging regarding service charges in the spa and you don't care who gets the money from a service charge, and your are okay with "marketing schemes" and don't want to get hung up on semantics, then Regent's marketing is a success, I assume.  I'm not okay with those features and so I find the marketing to be quite problematic. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2020 at 2:05 AM, tnt10 said:

To those who wish to express their appreciation for above and beyond service, since no tipping is allowed, try a letter to corporate outlining the job well done by the crew member.  I have done this in many instances, and I believe this is more appreciated and the recognition is noted by the staff's bosses/supervisors, where it can serve the crew member the best!

My humble opinion....

tnt 10 - a very well made point IMHO.

On several occasions my wife and I have discussed the merits of this very subject with crew members on Regent and other competing cruise lines.  Without exception they advised us that the most powerful motivator - and reward mechanism - is for them to be recognised on the comment forms we are asked to submit, or even in a letter/email to ship or corporate management. 

An example on our last cruise on Regent Explorer. We were frequently impressed by a very junior person, who spent much of his life polishing the glass on the staircases. He undertook his job with a huge smile on his face, acknowledging every guest. He even greeted us by name, which was remarkable considering we were first time Regent guests.

I suspect that this is the kind of crew member that is unlikely to benefit from the tips that some still insist on giving - invariably to restaurant/cabin crew.

So - we made sure we learnt his name, made mention of him on the comment card, and - like tnt10 - sent an email to the Hotel Manager on Explorer on our return home..   

We received an excellent reply from the Hotel Manager, advising that he had met with the crew member in his office to tell him how impressed guests had been with his efforts. He further stated the crew member was also recognised publicly onboard and had been placed on a fast track programme for promotion to more senior - and better paid jobs. 

Whilst I recognise and respect that we all have different thoughts on the merits of tipping etc, this experience taught me that the approach of recognising a crew member through communication can potentially benefit them more long term, than giving them cash.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, CruisetheCs said:

If you search back through older threads on tipping (yes, only if you are a masochist) you will find that Regent's policy has been confusing to guests.  However in one thread last year Jason OKeefe

wrote on March 18, 2019  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2644887-regents-crew-welfare-fund/page/5/?tab=comments#comment-57055600:  

"Regent is proud to include gratuities in the cruise fare for all onboard employees and tipping is not expected onboard.  We hope that none of our guests ever feel intimidated otherwise. 

Guests wishing to tip for “above and beyond” service is a personal decision.  It would be difficult for us to police this, nor do we want to develop crew restrictions around this."

There was another thread on CC in 2019 about a Regent move to facilitate guests' ability to give crew members gift certificates including a comment from Jason Montague of Regent that defended this procedure https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2663188-regentnclh-implements-new-tipping-program/page/2/.  (There was a lot of opposition to this on the CC thread.)

So Regent's policy about tipping has always recognized that it is okay if guests give tips if they wish and crew may accept them.

Now we suddenly have some language from the Regent website that says something entirely different.  Tips will not be accepted.  This is a major change and I would think that if it is true, that it would warrant more than a line of text buried somewhere on the website. Regent has a history of strange misstatements on the website that are left up for a long time, e.g., fiber-optic internet speeds that were said to exist on the Regent fleet.  In addition we have the current thread about tips or service charges being added to the bills from the onboard spa, which some (including me) assume to be a tip.  So, yes, the policy is muddled if the spa staff can seek tips but the room service staff cannot accept them.

In addition if staff cannot accept tips then I think is only fair to the staff and guests to be frank about that onboard and in a press release or other open communication.  I don't wish to tempt staff with a tip if in fact they will be fired for accepting one and I don't think it is fair to staff to have to be the first to inform guests they they cannot accept tips or gifts.

So given Regent's history of website misstatements, I wonder if the one-sentence answer to a question is really true or is this just another website misstatement. It would be quite simple for someone from Regent to respond on to this ongoing thread and clarify.

If you are okay with Regent's messaging regarding service charges in the spa and you don't care who gets the money from a service charge, and your are okay with "marketing schemes" and don't want to get hung up on semantics, then Regent's marketing is a success, I assume.  I'm not okay with those features and so I find the marketing to be quite problematic. 

Darn, you're tough.  Well, at great risk let me respond.  I mean no disrespect.

I find Regent policy quite clear.  They are saying that tips are neither "expected nor accepted."  Not muddled at all.  I'm an adult.  I can read their policy.  So why would I offer a tip to someone who I've been told by policy, should not accept it?  Why put him or her in that position.  Maybe Regent HAS told the crew that accepting tips is a fireable offense, maybe not.  But that isn't my concern, my concern is clearly understanding Regent's policy, which I do.  

How is Regent "misstating" their tip policy?  It's one line, it's clear and concise.  What "misstatement" do you see in it?  Just because you decide to disregard the policy doesn't muddle it, it just means you have made a choice to disregard it. If a crewmember accepts a tip doesn't muddle the policy, it just means that the crew member has chosen to disregard it.  

I'm ok with the Spa calling it a Service Charge.  And why would I care who gets the money?  When I buy a product from your company, I don't care how that money is divided among employees either.  Will "who gets the money" make a difference to you as to whether or not you'll use the Spa? Why are people so "hung up" on who gets what portions of tips, service charges, etc.?  Why do we even consider it our business.  All of these employees have chosen to take these positions.  Their compensation is between them and Regent.  I was a commercial airline pilot.  My compensation was definitely none of your business.  It was between me and my employer.  So yeah, I'm ok with the term service charge and ok with not knowing who gets it.  

As for marketing.  Well, I am under no delusion that calling gratuities "free" is a marketing scheme.  I am educated enough to know that I pay that amount in my cruise fare.  If that's problematic to you, maybe you should write Regent and demand a complete breakdown.  I simply have no problem with it.  I see a cruise, it's at a price I am willing to pay, I book it.  Why should I obsess about anything else? 

Again, I mean no disrespect, just answering your comment. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 2

As someone with a lot of experience in the American hospitality business, never have I noticed a job applicant for a typically "back of the house" position ask if their pay would somehow include a cut of the tips being handed to the people who were directly serving the customers. The pay scales were completely different because the type of job is completely different. No way is anyone required to apply for or accept a job if they don't think they are going to be happy with the salary. Being recognized specifically for a job well done, (as it should be) is a  very nice  thing to do, however there are so may jobs on board that we don't even know exist below deck that will probably never get a special commendation even though the crew member has done a fine job in the position that they have signed on for. They have helped the whole ship to run seamlessly.                                       When we leave our cabin for the last time, there is a thank you envelope on the desk and the crew member who has taken such pleasant care of us is perfectly and privately free to keep it OR donate it to the Crew Fund if they wish to.  I find it quite patronizing to think any other way.

4 hours ago, machotspur said:

An example on our last cruise on Regent Explorer. We were frequently impressed by a very junior person, who spent much of his life polishing the glass on the staircases. He undertook his job with a huge smile on his face, acknowledging every guest. He even greeted us by name, which was remarkable considering we were first time Regent guests.

I suspect that this is the kind of crew member that is unlikely to benefit from the tips that some still insist on giving - invariably to restaurant/cabin crew.

So - we made sure we learnt his name, made mention of him on the comment card, and - like tnt10 - sent an email to the Hotel Manager on Explorer on our return home..   

We received an excellent reply from the Hotel Manager, advising that he had met with the crew member in his office to tell him how impressed guests had been with his efforts. He further stated the crew member was also recognised publicly onboard and had been placed on a fast track programme for promotion to more senior - and better paid jobs. 

Is ONKYO the crew member you've described here?  If so, I agree 100%.  We met him during  our '18 WC on Navigator and he called us by name when we saw him on Explorer the past November/December.   Ran into him several times and he made a point to stop for a brief chat when delivering our newspapers.   He is a wonderful example for crew members to emulate.

As stated by machotspur above, a positive comment about crew members that provide excellent service is very powerful for that crew member when it comes time for employee reviews or promotions.

I highly recommend making sure you know the name of any crew members that you want to recognize (which sometimes is not a simple task).  And for the end of cruise complete the feedback making sure you explain how the crew member contributed to your enjoyable trip.  Since this is now electronic the feedback probably will go to corporate and then compiled and feedback will go to the ship.

Additionally, on our last cruise, we made a positive comment about a crew member on the midcruise feedback form.  Two days later the supervisor of the employee made sure to find us during lunch and tell us how much he appreciated that feedback.

I must say there are very strong arguments on both sides, and agree with 1943 that the two post are well thought through. I just believe that the cruise lines take all revenue possible and pay what they need to to keep staff, and if I feel my butler or stewardess have done a good job, a personal thank you and gratuity is the least I can do. I have also found that on most luxury cruises, the entire crew is well trained and works hard, so a donation to the crew fund makes me feel I have taken care of the silent majority of crew. 

If I get a letter on arrival, or the Captain makes an announcement that I should refrain from any direct tipping, I will adhere to that policy, but so far, the message I seem to get is that tipping is not necessary nor expected, which I believe means to do so without pressure nor expectation. 

I haven't been on as many cruises as many of you, probably only 200 days over ten years, but you hear many stories from staff of life away from loved ones, sick parents, kids growing up without them etc, and while its the life they have chosen, my take is that if I'm willing to pay what it cost to cruise on these lines for fun, $500 more to make someone's life a little easier is a choice I can make on my own without worrying about ship policy.

My guess is that the policy is more about employee compensation issues, competition,  and internal cruise accounting than anything else, so how about a truce is made and those that wish to tip continue to do so, those that don't think necessary feel positive about it, positive comments about great staff members always be included in the surveys and a little something to the staff fund always be given if one wants to help the little guys. 

I certainly understand the point of view of those that believe tipping is no longer an obligation, but call me stubborn in opposition for those that  believe I should not be allowed to do so if someone has helped me make my trip a better one. 

Until further notice, money will always be an incentive for people to work a bit harder, and and while I'm probably wrong here, a gold star, a handshake, even a good write up doesn't replace $50/$100 in a persons pocket, and while it might be shallow and heartless, its why they are working on a ship. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bissel said:

If the cruise line thinks their employees are being heavily tipped, might they then lower their basic salary, as some restaurants do?

Some restaurants in the US take a percentage of a waiters tips but most states still have to pay a minimum wage.  Cash is good vs credit card for waiters as it is not reported.

As far as tipping on an all inclusive line, at the end of your cruise I feel you can donate to the crew welfare fund or if someone has done something exceptional I have no problem giving them an extra few bucks. JMHO

Edited by Mask-1234

I use an airport parking lot multiple days each month.  I always tip the drivers for handling my bags.  It's what I do.  

Because I use their services so often, I get to know the names and backgrounds of the drivers.  Their jobs are usually one of three part time jobs that they work.  The other day one of the drivers told me that they make minimum wage.  The employer is having difficulty finding reliable people to do the job.  The employer required all of the drivers provide the totals of their daily tip receipts.  

I was outraged on their behalf.  It's really none of the employer's business.  It's between the driver and the IRS.  To my way of thinking, the employer is simply trying to justify not raising their wage by using trying to justify depressing their wage by factoing tips.  I can assure that they don't make that much in tips, either.

Tip if you want.  Don't feel bad if you don't.  Just try to be discreet when you do it.  If you do tip, take the time to write up the outstanding employees, too.  From the examples given in this thread, it can really help someone progress in their career.

• Like 2