Guys Burgers...what did I miss?

scliq

I am very hesitant in asking but I figure I must have missed something....

I love burgers especially steak house ones so I was looking forward after reading all the raves to try a Guys Burger. When I try a burger for the 1st time I avoid most toppings, especially cheese,  that distract from the taste of the meat. I do also have ones afterwards with the works as well.

I was not impressed and actually disappointed with the Burgers so many here rave about. 

Yes they were better than your typical fast food burger but they were no where near as good as I expected or that I've had out or at home.

Is it just me or did I miss something? I even tried again on a different day hoping that either me or them were just off the 1st time. 

Edited by scliq
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I am in the minority and agree with you. I tried them a couple of times and just don't care for them. At first I thought it was the cheese but getting without cheese was not better. How great is it that we all have so many choices on cruises that we never go hungry.

Laura

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It's not just you. On my first cruise my roommate raved so much about Guys Burgers that I put it on my list of things to do in 2018. It was okay, but nothing that I would go out of my way to get. I don't think I will give it another try though. Too many other foods on board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had one last June on the Dream, and I thought they were the BEST free burger I've ever tasted in my LIFE! I loved the bread. I cannot remember tasting hamburger bread that good. I don't think I've ever heard of a steakhouse burger.....like in a steakhouse, where steaks are their specialty?.....really??? You must not be from around here. Sorry. 

• Like 2

I think they are good but not great.  I prefer Five Guys all the way burger more.  I usually eat Guys Burgers maybe twice on a 7 day cruise.  I much prefer the Blue Iguana Cantina burritos both breakfast and lunch.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

I am in the minority and agree with you. I tried them a couple of times and just don't care for them. At first I thought it was the cheese but getting without cheese was not better. How great is it that we all have so many choices on cruises that we never go hungry.

Laura

Very true!

For lunch I became a big fan of tacos or taco salads from BlueIguana Cantina accompanied with some sides from Ocean Plaza, especially the stuffed Poblanos.

For breakfast my fav was the custom omelets and sides at  Cucina del Capitano accompanied with some cheese and guava pastries and a mimosa at the Havanna Bar. Love sitting at the aft windows there!

1 minute ago, SERK said:

I think they are good but not great.  I prefer Five Guys all the way burger more.  I usually eat Guys Burgers maybe twice on a 7 day cruise.  I much prefer the Blue Iguana Cantina burritos both breakfast and lunch.

I do like 5 Guys! Maybe we spoiled...lol

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

I had one last June on the Dream, and I thought they were the BEST free burger I've ever tasted in my LIFE! I loved the bread. I cannot remember tasting hamburger bread that good. I don't think I've ever heard of a steakhouse burger.....like in a steakhouse, where steaks are their specialty?.....really??? You must not be from around here. Sorry. 

Steakhouse burger is just a type - made with steak. It can be made and sold anywhere, not just steakhouse. McDonald's can make and sell a steakhouse burger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've eaten at three of Guy's restaurants and none of the food was really any good (the one in the Cancun airport was atrocious). I'm looking forward to try the burgers on our Breeze cruise, but my expectations are low. Hopefully they can exceed them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, webzila said:

Steakhouse burger is just a type - made with steak. It can be made and sold anywhere, not just steakhouse. McDonald's can make and sell a steakhouse burger

Ohhhhh, I see. A steakhouse burger is really a ground sirloin burger. Gosh you all sure do have fancy names for what we down here grew up on. Thanks for the clarification. 

• Haha 1

I love Guy's burgers. It's true that you may find a better meat patty out there. It's true that the toppings really help carry it.

With that said, how often do you get a burger that you control how it's topped? Most restaurants I go to really load you up on lettuce and tomato, and skimp on the rest. Give me a sauce, bacon, jalapenos, onions, and those cajun fries, and I'm doing quite alright

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Ohhhhh, I see. A steakhouse burger is really a ground sirloin burger. Gosh you all sure do have fancy names for what we down here grew up on. Thanks for the clarification. 

Not exactly, ground sirloin alone would make for a dry burger. Traditionally, a steakhouse burger is all the chef's leftover trimmings from different cuts of beef fresh ground, seasoned and hand patted. Nowadays, with chain restaurants and fast foods there are variations and not usually prepared on site but they usually have more than one type of beef and generally much thicker and well seasoned. 

Edited by scliq
Typo
  • Like 1

It's the same as anything, some people like it and some people don't.  I have a couple of Guy's burgers every cruise and get the ringer.  Yum.  My husband has several every cruise too and put lots of toppings on his.  It's definitely a hit with us.  It's not for everyone though. I'm the type of person that likes sauce on burgers.  Eating meat with no sauce isn't appealing to me, so the ringer works.

• Like 5

I don't have high expectations that Guy's Burgers will be anything special.  My wife and SIL ate at Guy Fieri's restaurant in Dublin California and didn't think much of the food.

Personally, I prefer In-n-Out burger.  All fresh ingredients made everyday.  

Edited by VentureMan_2000
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

5 Guys does alright here in San Diego but In and Out is still in first place. I do like Guy's toppings on the Carnival ships.

I wish we had an In and Out burger.  I've heard so much about them and wondered if its hype or legit.  Would love to try one someday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laurab23 said:

Laura

Ditto

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

5 Guys does alright here in San Diego but In-n- Out is still in first place. I do like Guy's toppings on the Carnival ships.

Absolutely! In-n -Out rocks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SERK said:

I wish we had an In and Out burger.  I've heard so much about them and wondered if its hype or legit.  Would love to try one someday.

So... here's how they roll.  If you might notice, they are not everywhere.  This is because their restaurants can only be so many miles (perhaps 30 miles ?) away from their Hub where they grind and make the burgers fresh daily, and drive them out to each restaurant daily.  They also peel their potatoes at the Hub to make French fries with and ship them in water to each restaurant.  The potatoes are turned into fry-sticks at the restaurant by employees - minutes before they fry them up.

So the one thing you get is a consistent fresh burger and fries, no matter the location.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, VentureMan_2000 said:

You can book the Miracle in San Francisco -- there is an In-n-Out within walking distance of the cruise terminal.  Next door is a Krispy Kreme for desert...

Don't tell me, tell SERK 🙂  That does sound convenient and I've sailed the Miracle 5 times from Long Beach and can vouch for the ship.

18 minutes ago, SERK said:

In and out does a great lettuce wrapped burger - they have that skill down - but are they better than any other? mmmmm I would go to whataburger for a #6 combo - In and out doesn't have bacon - who doesn't have bacon!

Edited by Mytime2014
  • Like 1