Crown Princess - Speed Issues?

ccndfw

We received an email about an itinerary change for the Crown Princess due to a mechanical issue that prevents the ship from going full speed.  I was disappointed to see the port times being reduced and would like to hear from someone that has recently been on the Crown as to whether or not the port times were further reduced once on board.  My thought was that due to these issues, they could miss a port or further delay port arrival and I’m curious to know if anyone has experienced that.  

Edited by ccndfw

I believe the problem occurred on the prior cruise, ie sailed December 27. So the current cruise (January 6) is the first to have the problem for the entire cruise.  So you will not get much in the way of answers. 

In my case, we will board on January 26 for 40 days or 4 ten day cruises. We received notification of the change in ports and and port times only for the first two legs. I am hoping this means Princess expects the problem for be fixed by February 15 and we will return to the regular schedule by then

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ccndfw said:

We received an email about an itinerary change for the Crown Princess due to a mechanical issue that prevents the ship from going full speed.  I was disappointed to see the port times being reduced and would like to hear from someone that has recently been on the Crown as to whether or not the port times were further reduced once on board.  My thought was that due to these issues, they could miss a port or further delay port arrival and I’m curious to know if anyone has experienced that.  

There have been a couple of threads on this in the recent days since the letters were sent out.

17 minutes ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

When were the letters about an itinerary change sent out, and for which departure date(s)?

My DW and I are leaving on the February 5 cruise on Crown Princess.

Thanks.

We received the itinerary change from our T.A. on January 7th. You can also find the changes in the cruise personlizer and in the journey view section of the medallion app. So far no changes announced past the Feb. 5th sailing.

Day      Date      Description      Arrive      Depart 
 Wed      Feb 05      Fort Lauderdale      04:00P 
 Thu      Feb 06      At Sea 
 Fri      Feb 07      At Sea 
 Sat      Feb 08      Curacao      11:00A      09:00P 
 Sun      Feb 09      Bonaire      07:00A      06:00P 

Mon      Feb 10      At Sea 
 Tue      Feb 11      Dominica      07:00A      04:00P 
 Wed      Feb 12      St Thomas      08:00A      03:00P 
 Thu      Feb 13      Grand Turk      01:00P      07:00P 
 Fri      Feb 14      At Sea 
 Sat      Feb 15      Fort Lauderdale      07:00A 

Edited by skynight

45 minutes ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

When were the letters about an itinerary change sent out, and for which departure date(s)?

My DW and I are leaving on the February 5 cruise on Crown Princess.

Thanks.

Emails were sent out early this week or so. If you used a travel agent, the email is to them for forwarding on to you. It affect cruises thru February 5. It appears that Princess knows/hopes things will be fixed for the February 15 cruise.

I just went on the Princess website "Cruise Personalizer" to see if there were any changes to the Crown Princess February 5 itinerary that my DW and I are on.

It turns out they have taken Granada off the list of ports of call and substituted an additional sea day.  I was looking forward to visiting Granada, but it's not the worst change they could make, I guess.

Here is the itinerary as of today (1/11/20):

Wed, 02/05/20 Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
View general port information
4:00pm
Thu, 02/06/20 At Sea  
Fri, 02/07/20 At Sea  
Sat, 02/08/20 Curacao 11:00am 9:00pm
Sun, 02/09/20 Bonaire, Caribbean Netherlands 7:00am 6:00pm
Mon, 02/10/20 At Sea  
Tue, 02/11/20 Dominica 7:00am 4:00pm
Wed, 02/12/20 St. Thomas, Virgin Islands 8:00am 3:00pm
Thu, 02/13/20 Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos 1:00pm 7:00pm
Fri, 02/14/20 At Sea  
Sat, 02/15/20 Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
View general port information
7:00am

These are the issues when they don't take the ship out of service and make the proper repairs rights away. Passengers/customers suffer for month after month.

They would rather drag it on and on.

How long was the CB affected by this same crap and reduced speeds? 2 plus years?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

These are the issues when they don't take the ship out of service and make the proper repairs rights away. Passengers/customers suffer for month after month.

They would rather drag it on and on.

How long was the CB affected by this same crap and reduced speeds? 2 plus years?

We don't know for sure if the Crown has the same issue as the Caribbean. If it does pulling it out of service right away, probably isn't a real option. Once the Caribbean was placed into wet dock, April/May 2019, the repair took 4 weeks to complete. Even with expedited planning, ordering parts, hiring contractors, scheduling such a long repair takes time. If a ship was out of service for that long you would also want to schedule other required repairs and maintenance. I do agree the two years for the Caribbean was quite extended. 

13 minutes ago, skynight said:

We don't know for sure if the Crown has the same issue as the Caribbean. If it does pulling it out of service right away, probably isn't a real option. Once the Caribbean was placed into wet dock, April/May 2019, the repair took 4 weeks to complete. Even with expedited planning, ordering parts, hiring contractors, scheduling such a long repair takes time. If a ship was out of service for that long you would also want to schedule other required repairs and maintenance. I do agree the two years for the Caribbean was quite extended. 

It is an issue that affected the speed needed to complete the cruise itinerary  of the ship.

Although I believe it was also a generator on the CB as well.

I am not saying its the same problem but it sure is the same issue in the end.

Missed ports/reduced port times/reduced speeds etc.

Yes things need to be coordinated but putting it off as they tend to do so as "not to lose $$$" is BS.

Take the hit schedule the repair and cancel as many cruises as needed and fix the problem.

I see the possibility of this happening all over again. 

Here is the e-mail that my TA received.

"Please be advised that Crown Princess is experiencing a technical issue that has resulted in our inability to operate at full speed.

While this in no way compromises the safety of our guests and crew, which is our highest priority, our technical experts have determined that we must revise your itinerary.

We will no longer call to Grenada on Monday, February 10, 2020, but will instead spend the day at sea. Our call times to Curacao, Bonaire, Grenada and St. Thomas have been amended; please see the revised itinerary for details."

This applies to my cruise starting February 5.  I hope that this helps.

Edited by Boiler Cruiser
  • Like 1

as Colo Cruiser as said..... the problem likely won't be fixed until after the Crown has been in dry dock so they can do the necessary repairs. Until then, EVERY cruise will be effected. Previously I stated that I wish Princess spent more time and money on fixing their ships instead of on "upping" their onboard technology. I stand by that comment. 

Edited by canadarocks
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

It hasn't affected any of our planned arrival times in March. 

So far it is only thru the February 5 to 15 sailings that are affected. We are on the last two affected and the last two that are unaffected so far.

Just now, paul929207 said:

So far it is only thru the February 5 to 15 sailings that are affected. We are on the last two affected and the last two that are unaffected so far.

I was hoping that it would affect our trip & we could receive some extra OB credit. 😄

8 hours ago, fishin' musician said:

FWIW, on the last cruise it was 2:30 when we finally reached Grand Turk (everything stated 1:00 arrival).  With 3400+ clamoring to get off at the same time it was a severe cluster.  I don't understand how, with modern navigation systems, they can miss by 1.5 hours??? 

We were on that sailing with you and to call our disembarkation in Grand Turk a cluster is putting it nicely! It was absolutely ridiculous! Friends of ours were supposed to have a catamaran trip all afternoon and it got shortened to a 2 hour trip. I was thankful we had just planned to relax on the beach so we didn't have a shortened or missed excursion.

Personally I thought the ship was still moving plenty fast throughout our trip. We had an aft suite (D736) and I don't know if the generator issue contributed to this, but we have never experienced so much rattling and vibration in an aft cabin (and we sail in them often). We stopped scheduling wake up calls on port days because we'd just get rattled awake about a 30-60 minutes before arrival - it was brutal.