Crown Princess - Speed Issues?

ccndfw

1 hour ago, Harrylinden said:

The March 16th sailing has the Princess Cays port day still on there! My son and wife will be on that sailing! No changes so far on that sailing!

The March 6 cruise was only updated Monday, so don't expect the 16 to be updated until after the 10th or so

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 2:19 PM, chengkp75 said:

There is no certainty that a "drydock" is required to repair this, so it could be done with only a day's downtime, perhaps, to insert the part into the ship (if access cutting of the hull is needed), at any port, and the rest of the repair done in service.

If they cut the hull, you better believe it will be done in drydock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, weedpindle said:

If they cut the hull, you better believe it will be done in drydock.

No, it won't.  The two instances that I remember of cruise ships taking crankshafts into the ship (Zaandam, 2017)(NCL Pearl, 2019?, not sure), were cut around the I-95 deck (where the port of call gangway for passengers is normally), which is well above the waterline.  Carnival cut a hole in their hull in Galveston a mere 2-3 feet above the waterline to renew a thruster motor (Carnival Liberty, 2016).  The only time they would need to do this in drydock is if the hole were going to be under the waterline.  I've got 45 years experience on ships, and I've cut holes in hulls several times for repairs.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, weedpindle said:

The March 6 cruise was only updated Monday, so don't expect the 16 to be updated until after the 10th or so

I suspect their working on the problem round the clock in hopes of finding a solution.

We're on the 16th sailing so I wouldn't expect anything until the 10th, if at all. 

24 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

No, it won't.  The two instances that I remember of cruise ships taking crankshafts into the ship (Zaandam, 2017)(NCL Pearl, 2019?, not sure), were cut around the I-95 deck (where the port of call gangway for passengers is normally), which is well above the waterline.  Carnival cut a hole in their hull in Galveston a mere 2-3 feet above the waterline to renew a thruster motor (Carnival Liberty, 2016).  The only time they would need to do this in drydock is if the hole were going to be under the waterline.  I've got 45 years experience on ships, and I've cut holes in hulls several times for repairs.

Does anyone know what the actual problem is with the generator?

Has it been confirmed if the issue affects the use of the stabilizers?

No crystal ball withstanding, I'm wondering what are the real chances Princess will be able to (or decide to) tackle the problem before the scheduled dry dock.

Edited by Adventures ahead

10 minutes ago, Adventures ahead said:

Does anyone know what the actual problem is with the generator?

Has it been confirmed if the issue affects the use of the stabilizers?

No crystal ball withstanding, I'm wondering what are the real chances Princess will be able to (or decide to) tackle the problem before the scheduled dry dock.

No, the actual failure of the diesel generator is unknown.  Loss of a diesel generator, or two or three, would not affect the stabilizers, they are a very small electrical load, and while less effective at lower speeds, they are still very effective, in the right weather conditions (the usual caveat, regardless of speed), at the current speed Crown can make.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

No, the actual failure of the diesel generator is unknown.  Loss of a diesel generator, or two or three, would not affect the stabilizers, they are a very small electrical load, and while less effective at lower speeds, they are still very effective, in the right weather conditions (the usual caveat, regardless of speed), at the current speed Crown can make.

Thank you. Some passengers in the Caribbean reported rough seas and speculated that the downed generator may have affected the function of the stabilizers.

6 minutes ago, Adventures ahead said:

Thank you. Some passengers in the Caribbean reported rough seas and speculated that the downed generator may have affected the function of the stabilizers.

Folks need to understand that stabilizers are not designed to, nor will they, stop a ship from rolling.  The stabilizer is designed to slow the period of the roll (the time from one end of the roll to the other) to a more comfortable roll than the normal stability of the ship would provide.  When you have tens of thousands of tons of ship rolling, a small stabilizer wing will not have enough force to really affect the amount of rolling done.

• Like 2

When the Crown makes it to Southampton for a Norwegian Fjords cruise later this summer, if the problem is still not fixed I'm wondering how this problem will affect sailing in that area.  I'm reminded of the Viking Sky last year, although I don't believe the Crown's issue is the same as that.  Looking at the itinerary, though,  I'm not convinced this ship will be able to get all the way to Honningsvag (or even make it there) without missing ports.  Visiting the ports is our reason for choosing this itinerary.  Any experience with that area/those ports and our chances?

1 hour ago, sunnysunshine said:

When the Crown makes it to Southampton for a Norwegian Fjords cruise later this summer, if the problem is still not fixed I'm wondering how this problem will affect sailing in that area.  I'm reminded of the Viking Sky last year, although I don't believe the Crown's issue is the same as that.  Looking at the itinerary, though,  I'm not convinced this ship will be able to get all the way to Honningsvag (or even make it there) without missing ports.  Visiting the ports is our reason for choosing this itinerary.  Any experience with that area/those ports and our chances?

Running that itinerary, I don't see any leg of the cruise, including the Trondheim to Honnigsvag requiring more than 17 knots, so even if the generator isn't fixed, this itinerary is still doable.  Most itineraries are designed for less than full speed, to allow for maintenance of the engines.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Most itineraries are designed for less than full speed, to allow for maintenance of the engines.

However, Crown is missing ports on almost every cruise. Your optimism seems to not reflect what is happening.

If an itinerary is designed to be conducted on 5 engines so one can be maintained and one is out of commission long term that itinerary now must be completed with four engines.

A pattern has already been well established.  The ship will miss ports on almost every cruise and Princess will not modify the itinerary until a week before departure.  If someone has a cruise they can get a refund for that they selected for the ports they should cancel because by the time princess notifies passengers of the itinerary change they will be ineligible for a refund.

3 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

However, Crown is missing ports on almost every cruise. Your optimism seems to not reflect what is happening.

If an itinerary is designed to be conducted on 5 engines so one can be maintained and one is out of commission long term that itinerary now must be completed with four engines.

A pattern has already been well established.  The ship will miss ports on almost every cruise and Princess will not modify the itinerary until a week before departure.  If someone has a cruise they can get a refund for that they selected for the ports they should cancel because by the time princess notifies passengers of the itinerary change they will be ineligible for a refund.

What I am talking about is the original itinerary when it is released.  At that time, the ship could make that schedule.  Now, it can't, due to maintenance issues, but that doesn't mean the original schedule was not designed for less than full speed.  I don't know the current itineraries, nor the geography, but some itineraries, due to geography, just need one leg to be done at full speed (and maintenance is scheduled around these), and if you can't make that one leg, that throws the entire itinerary off.  I don't comment on guest services questions, like when they notify guests of a change, that's not my area of expertise.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Great info!  I'm guessing the stabilizers create drag, further slowing the ship and thus there may be reluctance to deploy them?

7 minutes ago, fishin' musician said:

Great info!  I'm guessing the stabilizers create drag, further slowing the ship and thus there may be reluctance to deploy them?

The stabilizers do create some drag, but not a great deal.  They typically won't deploy them until a given sea state is reached, or the roll starts to become an issue.  More significant is the wind/wave direction with regard to the ship's course, and wave period, in determining how effective the stabilizers will be.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Running that itinerary, I don't see any leg of the cruise, including the Trondheim to Honnigsvag requiring more than 17 knots, so even if the generator isn't fixed, this itinerary is still doable.  Most itineraries are designed for less than full speed, to allow for maintenance of the engines.

Thank you for your input, chengkp75!

1 minute ago, GonzoWCS said:
53 minutes ago, sunnysunshine said:

Thank you for your input, chengkp75!

Yes the best!

who really cares , except a few of 'the experts' spouting off their "opinions" why the ship is slowing down

1) will we leave on time

2) will me meet all planned ports

3) if not, what ports will be missed or delayed 

4) will we get to our final debarkation point on time

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

who really cares , except a few of 'the experts' spouting off their "opinions" why the ship is slowing down

1) will we leave on time

It's the same people who have to know where the DR's are ,what time is dinner served and which nights are formal. 🤠

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

1) will we leave on time

We do cuz the source uses math....

People who are cruising soon received an email that included this:

"For our guests booked on Crown Princess Mediterranean itineraries, we are finalizing some itinerary changes and a special offer that we will be sharing early next week."  

Quoted from:

So, we'll soon have more information that will help us decide about sailing on the Crown before dry dock in October.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Word from the ship yesterday at an officer talk is that the necessary part(s) are on board they expect to make the repair for final cruise of season which sounds like will be repaired ahead of the TA to Europe.

This is similar to what I heard on board last week.