Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
blueslily

Questions about Disembarking Meraviglia in Miami

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I am new to MSC and am still doing research for my first MSC cruise coming up in just a few weeks. I will be on the Meraviglia sailing out of Miami for a Caribbean cruise on February 2nd. I have cruised with other cruise lines, but understand that MSC is slightly different in some ways so I want to make sure that I am prepared.

 

The Meraviglia will be arriving back to Miami on Feb 9, and I will unfortunately have to leave the ship. I always dislike it when my cruise ends, lol. 

 

What is the disembarkation process for the Meraviglia out of Miami? Specifically, what time do people usually start getting off the ship? And what is the latest time that you can get off the ship? This will help me plan.

 

I will be picked up by a family member at the cruise ship terminal. My car will be parked at her home in Miami so she is picking me up to go get my car. So, no shuttle or flight involved. What instructions should I give her for where or how to pick me up from the ship? 

 

I do NOT wish to take my own luggage off so I will set it out at night or whatever their process requires for them to take the luggage down for me. 

 

Please share any other info about the Meraviglia disembarkation process that you think might be helpful for a MSC newbie! Any helpful tips for how to have a smooth end to what I'm sure will be an awesome cruise! I find that the more info I have in advance, the more I can plan and reduce unpleasant or unexpected fumbling, lol. 

 

Thanks so much!

Edited by blueslily

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your cruise includes Colon then you will likely be late getting off the ship, MSC use the same system as other lines in that you are given an area or lounge to wait in until your colour code is called which is tied to your suitcase colour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ISLANDCRUSO said:

If your cruise includes Colon then you will likely be late getting off the ship, MSC use the same system as other lines in that you are given an area or lounge to wait in until your colour code is called which is tied to your suitcase colour. 

 

The itinerary is Western Caribbean 

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on a Western Caribbean itinerary. Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Mexico, Ocean Cay. 

 

The way it worked is that a) walking off yourself very, very early was an option, or b) following their guidelines/color groups was an option. We picked b) but full disclosure we didn't investigate whether a third option was available (e.g., could you exit yourself, but at a later/anytime. 

 

As to b) the color groupings appeared to be by stateroom range. I'm not sure if people's "flight times" might have affected their grouping or not. We were in a Brown 4 group that had a 10am departure from the Carousel Lounge. We were off ship waiting for an Uber by 10:40. It seemed generally like the lower decks got off first and then the decks moved higher in about 15-ish minute increments starting around 8/8:15. Hope that helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more detail - when we were off, we were effectively in the same place as 'arrivals'. It's not that hard to drop off/arrive at the terminal, there are #'d signs so you can tell cars where you are at ("go down to the middle, I'm around #7" or something like that). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

but full disclosure we didn't investigate whether a third option was available (e.g., could you exit yourself, but at a later/anytime. 

 

Yes we do that and have done a number of times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patience is the key.  Traffic and loads of people there.  Grab bag, find post with location, wait for friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Patience is the key.  Traffic and loads of people there.  Grab bag, find post with location, wait for friend.

 

Thanks. That's why I want to possibly leave later in the morning so that the initial rush of people exiting might have calmed down a little. But, I'm guessing that the masses of folks exiting will be replaced with the rush of excited people to board the ships for the next sailing. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, blueslily said:

 

Thanks. That's why I want to possibly leave later in the morning so that the initial rush of people exiting might have calmed down a little. But, I'm guessing that the masses of folks exiting will be replaced with the rush of excited people to board the ships for the next sailing. 🙂

Yes, that will be the case.  We normally get there around 10:30 and folks going both ways.  Later probably best since no hurry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do I find out which other cruise ships will also be at the Miami Cruise Terminal on Feb 2 and Feb 9? Just curious. Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blueslily said:

How do I find out which other cruise ships will also be at the Miami Cruise Terminal on Feb 2 and Feb 9? Just curious. Thanks! 

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+do+I+find+out+which+other+cruise+ships+will+also+be+at+the+Miami+Cruise+Terminal+on+Feb+2+and+Feb+9

 

 

 

Cruise mapper is the first result.

Cruise mapper is the first result.

The other good website is cruisetimetables then click departures and miami and your dates. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, blueslily said:

Thanks so much! 

 

What is the latest time that I can exit the ship? 10:30am? 

Most likely, everyone has to be off the ship and a zero count confirmed before new passengers are able to embark. Therefore they don't encourage anyone to linger too much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Most likely, everyone has to be off the ship and a zero count confirmed before new passengers are able to embark. Therefore they don't encourage anyone to linger too much. 

 

Totally understand. Just looking for the time.from those who have cruised on the ship. Also, if there are any tips based on the process specific to MSC or this ship, just let me know. I did not want to assume that it's exactly like NCL, Royal, etc. Since it's my first time on this ship. 

 

Thanks everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The process is exactly as stated in post 4, self disembark or await your colour time. There are screens up around the ship and in tbe allocated meeting points indicating when each colour is called etc. Luggage is waiting in the terminal and then sadly, that's it.

We've been known to linger slightly as our status and/or experience always allocates an early time which isn't usually  preferable if we're unable to check into the hotel but in Miami it's difficult to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

The process is exactly as stated in post 4, self disembark or await your colour time. There are screens up around the ship and in tbe allocated meeting points indicating when each colour is called etc. Luggage is waiting in the terminal and then sadly, that's it.

We've been known to linger slightly as our status and/or experience always allocates an early time which isn't usually  preferable if we're unable to check into the hotel but in Miami it's difficult to do. 

 

Ok, thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did self disembarkation around 7:45 to 7:50 a.m. and literally walked off the ship by ourselves. One of the best disembarkations we have ever experienced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...