Looking to book 1st solo cruise embark/disembark out of NY, Boston, Jersey

famoffiveinct

Hi guys, looking for any and all feedback as far as booking a solo cruise embarking/disembarking out of NY, NJ, or Boston in 2020! This will be my 1st solo cruise and 5th overall. The other four with the wife and kids. Time for Dad to have a cruise where Dad gets to schedule what he does on a cruise. We have done two with Norwegian and two with Royal. I would like to go Norwegian this cruise. Definitely a Caribbean cruise and 7-12 days depending on the best available deal. Also would prefer March or April. What cruise do any other solo cruisers have booked for 2020? I know only certain ships have studio rooms. My wife has always done all the cruise bookings so I will take all the help I can get!

I'm booked on NCL for Feb 15, RCL for May 2 and September 21 as a solo.

I've found the NCL studios to feel cramped, even though you're in there by yourself, so I go with a regular cabin. Most of the time I'm able to get the pricing pretty close to the studio price even with the single supplement.  As well as a bigger room, I get to participate in the Upgrade Advantage program in order to upgrade to a balcony somewhat cheaply.  (The studios don't receive offers to participate in the upgrade program).  I've found you still get into the Studio each evening for the Solo gathering, just not access to it all the time, which to me isn't a big deal.

If you have any specific questions let me know, last year I did solos on 2 NCL's and 1 RCL.  Have fun!

The RCL studio with virtual balcony is great and big enough for me - 5’ woman. If you are 6’ I do think it would be a little tight. Love cruising solo and the virtual balcony for me is key because it’s basically an oceanview room without the oceanview pricing. I have heard, as pp, mentioned the NCL studio can be cramped. When I checked measurements they were smaller than RCL. 

What type of room are you used to when cruising, have you checked itineraries, the longer you have the better the trip from the east coast as it will take awhile to get down to Caribbean. 

On 1/11/2020 at 7:29 AM, famoffiveinct said:

Hi guys, looking for any and all feedback as far as booking a solo cruise embarking/disembarking out of NY, NJ, or Boston in 2020! This will be my 1st solo cruise and 5th overall. The other four with the wife and kids. Time for Dad to have a cruise where Dad gets to schedule what he does on a cruise. We have done two with Norwegian and two with Royal. I would like to go Norwegian this cruise. Definitely a Caribbean cruise and 7-12 days depending on the best available deal. Also would prefer March or April. What cruise do any other solo cruisers have booked for 2020? I know only certain ships have studio rooms. My wife has always done all the cruise bookings so I will take all the help I can get!

Mr CT:  sailing solo:  the first question is what type and SIZE ship will best suit you best.  Where do you want to go?  Typically singles pay double!  Pick a good travel agent!  Costco has the best rates of any.  The tendency is the larger the agency, the greater the benefits.  You may want to find a group to travel with for a better rate.  Interview Mrs CT for more tips and tricks.  Have fun.  Quincy