Silversea Explorer Antarctica Voyage Video !

Jimmyke

Outstanding and certainly makes me want to visit either the Artic or Antarctic and I have to admit it's mostly for photographic opportunities.

Was any mention made or did you see anyone using a drone while you were there. From the brief search I've done from a legal perspective, it seems the use is ok as long as wildlife not harassed. 

PS..... I won't be doing any Polar plunge! lol I always find the ships pool at the end of summer in the Med too cold.. I can't imagine doing that being anything other than painful.

Edited by les37b
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2020 at 9:18 PM, carefreecruise said:

You did a good job. Looks like the weather corporated, lucky guys... 

Yes, the expedition leader told us we had exceptional weather, almost all the time blue skies! We were lucky though we didn't experience the harshness of Antarctica :-)) .

• Like 1

21 hours ago, les37b said:

Outstanding and certainly makes me want to visit either the Artic or Antarctic and I have to admit it's mostly for photographic opportunities.

Was any mention made or did you see anyone using a drone while you were there. From the brief search I've done from a legal perspective, it seems the use is ok as long as wildlife not harassed. 

PS..... I won't be doing any Polar plunge! lol I always find the ships pool at the end of summer in the Med too cold.. I can't imagine doing that being anything other than painful.

One of the expedition team told us Antarctica, South Georgia and Russia Far East are the most beautiful, better then the Arctic. But maybe that's a personal view. To see polar bears it's better to do Russia Far East than Arctic.

I didn't intend to do the polar plunge either but when the moment is there the excitement takes over ;-)!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, les37b said:

^^^^ forget that. Further reading suggests the use of drones is either discouraged or banned. Oh well.... High powered telephoto it is then!

Indeed, drones are not aloud but there's a photographer on board who has a permit for using his drone. At the end of the cruise you get a movie with outstanding drone shots. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Jimmyke said:

Thank you, happy to hear you like my videos!

As someone with a sort of movie background, I did appreciate Jimmy's technique which should be a lesson for many people - keep the camera steady, don't pan around all the time and don't zoom in or out.  

2 hours ago, Jimmyke said:

Indeed, drones are not aloud but there's a photographer on board who has a permit for using his drone. At the end of the cruise you get a movie with outstanding drone shots. 

At huge cost?

23 hours ago, Fletcher said:

As someone with a sort of movie background, I did appreciate Jimmy's technique which should be a lesson for many people - keep the camera steady, don't pan around all the time and don't zoom in or out.  

Thank YOU, I hope if you haven't done so already, you'll consider subscribing to my channel 🙂

On 1/15/2020 at 4:21 AM, Carol From California said:

We did Antarctica with the Cloud (first season) in February, 2018. Loved the video! Brought back so many great memories of our trip. We are doing the Arctic in summer but are trying the Scenic Eclipse for that one.  Thanks for sharing your video. 

We were on the inaugural voyage of the Cloud but didn't make it to Antarctica due to engine problems. Cloud is very beautiful.  

On 1/12/2020 at 10:12 AM, les37b said:

^^^^ forget that. Further reading suggests the use of drones is either discouraged or banned. Oh well.... High powered telephoto it is then!

Sad news for us all who have thoroughly enjoyed all your past contributions which have brought back so many personal memories.

Drones have certainly revolutionised professional wildlife footage.  The recent series Planet Earth II and Our Planet make great use of the new technology.  The drone shots in the first episode of Planet II which went to Zavodovski Island in the South Sandwich group was truly incredible but they still somehow landed filmmakers on the island for conventional photography. However, in the wrong hands it can become a rather lazy option as in several cruise line videos.  There was a recent Seabourn Quest one in Antarctica when it become downright monotonous and was a poor substitute for classic photography.  

Edited by Fletcher

46 minutes ago, brimary said:

Sad news for us all who have thoroughly enjoyed all your past contributions which have brought back so many personal memories.

I will still be filming from dry land at my usual spot. That's completely ok and legal. I'll still be making walk through videos too.... Though probably no point for the Wind in August as it'll be the last in that livery. I hope to be on for lunch before that and also the Spirit too...So November it'll have to be on the Moon for the next real new one.

I will ask my contact to clarify this though. It might not be as it sounds and I suspect as always it's down to idiots like one I came across launching from the Wind in St Barts, 2 miles from it's airport and on the flight path. He lost control because he flew over the ship and through all the magnetic interference from a rather large chunk of metal know as Silver Wind. He claimed he had permission to do so because in one clip if showed the maid on the balcony watching. Not sure if he understood she wasn't in charge and his showing off to her probably was a bit wasted.

I'll see if I can find his clips so you can make your own mind up

Strangely he's deleted the other one I mentioned... But yes, as Fletcher has said, in the wrong hands, a menace and dangerous.

FF to 3.45

Edited by les37b