In Search of the Northern Lights Jan 10, 2020 - Daily Viking

Mibele

Thank you for this!  We are on a different cruise, but it is nice to see an example of the info on the dailies. Took notice to the dress code bit.  I was under the impression that jeans were ok at the buffet.  Not a deal breaker, but looking to know what to pack. 

11 hours ago, carollouise said:

Thank you for this!  We are on a different cruise, but it is nice to see an example of the info on the dailies. Took notice to the dress code bit.  I was under the impression that jeans were ok at the buffet.  Not a deal breaker, but looking to know what to pack. 

I'm wondering if that's a new thing?   And do they just mean for men?   My OH never wears them, but I'm 100% sure we've seen lots of other men wearing jeans in the World Cafe on our three Viking Oceans cruises to date - and never have never had a problem with it.

If it's women's jeans, I absolutely can't see a problem.  Sometimes it's hard to decided what's a 'jean' and what's a 'trouser', at least here in the UK!

• Like 1

I think that hasn't't been worded correctly on the daily. Casual clothing is acceptable in the World Cafe and pool bar but smarter wear only elsewhere. We piled back from trips at 9pm and went straight up to the World Cafe for supper wearing our full arctic gear. The majority of folk were in their day clothes and casually dressed.

• Like 2

It looks to me like parts of this Daily have been copied/pasted from an old one.  If you look at the second sentence of the Captain’s “Welcome aboard”, it refers to the Star’s “inaugural season”.  There have been a multitude of comments on the jeans issue, with Viking occasionally chiming in.  The official dress code has been defined over and over, in some cases changed.  In some cases ship-specific.q The latest information is that dress in the World Cafe is casual - not country club casual or elegant casual or whatever - just casual.  So jeans are allowed there.  Now, please, don’t accuse me of promoting dungarees or the ripped, ragged style.  Nice jeans.  The kind that could be mistaken for trousers.  (Thanks, JB, for that.)  I would hope that the largest part of the VO demographic would know how to dress decently, although there have also been stories of aberrant fashion choices, too.

OK.  Rant over.  Back to the original topic.  We board the Star next week looking for northern lights so I appreciate Mibele’s reporting.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Geosez said:

It looks to me like parts of this Daily have been copied/pasted from an old one.  If you look at the second sentence of the Captain’s “Welcome aboard”, it refers to the Star’s “inaugural season”.  There have been a multitude of comments on the jeans issue, with Viking occasionally chiming in.  The official dress code has been defined over and over, in some cases changed.  In some cases ship-specific.q The latest information is that dress in the World Cafe is casual - not country club casual or elegant casual or whatever - just casual.  So jeans are allowed there.  Now, please, don’t accuse me of promoting dungarees or the ripped, ragged style.  Nice jeans.  The kind that could be mistaken for trousers.  (Thanks, JB, for that.)  I would hope that the largest part of the VO demographic would know how to dress decently, although there have also been stories of aberrant fashion choices, too.

OK.  Rant over.  Back to the original topic.  We board the Star next week looking for northern lights so I appreciate Mibele’s reporting.   

Good luck hunting, if you are lucky, it’s truly magical

• Like 2

Dear carollouise,

Thank you for your interest in the daily schedule for our In Search Of the Northern Lights itinerary.

Please note, as some have speculated, there was a misprint on the Viking Daily shared above. Guests wearing jeans are welcome in the World Café, and all areas of ship before 6pm. Attire at all other dining venues after 6pm, remains “elegant casual,” and we invite you to visit the link provided for more information: https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/frequently-asked-questions.html#LIFEABOARD-FAQ-LIST/57126.

We apologize for any confusion, and should you have any additional questions or comments, you may email tellus@vikingcruises.com directly. Sending our best wishes as you finalize your packing list for your upcoming voyage.

Warm regards,

Viking Cruises

22 hours ago, carollouise said:

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Geosez said:

would hope that the largest part of the VO demographic would know how to dress decently, although there have also been stories of aberrant fashion choices, too.

I do, but I left the Navy for a reason! No more dress blue uniform for me and definitely no tuxedos! 🙂 This is the dress/formal uniform for enlisted personnel like myself! (not me in the pic! I was a submariner not some surface guy! 🙂 )
Navy dress blue uniform (cracker jack)

And then when the submarine is at sea, enlisted and officer both wear this, with athletic shoes (officer would have gold nameplate and gold dolphins and a khaki belt, enlisted white nameplane and silver dolphins, black belt):

Navy coveralls

(no girl has ever liked me back...but hypothetically, were I to get married, the dress code would be casual, just like my cousin's wedding...she's 1/4 Korean and 1/4 Hawaiian, her mother grew up in Hawaii, and casual weddings are common there!)

No more uniforms for me!!! lol if I went on a cruise I would pack t-shirts and jeans and just not go to the full service restaurants, I don't like full service anyway! All good 🙂 lol lol 🙂

Edited by neutrino78x

Day 4 - Jan 13 - we ended up cruising through the Sognefjord as the seas were rough and they’ve canceled Bodo.  Tomorrow will be another sea day instead as we rock and roll up to Tromso.  Not as bad though if we had sailed during the day today.  I’ve added a few pics from the fjord also.  

F9DE11E4-6748-4C9B-9B6F-47ABBC3C9D8D.jpeg

0B961C27-CB5E-407D-BD35-8856270712D7.jpeg

CDCDA17A-172D-4A02-A634-53B8345CCEE6.jpeg

7E5B0B94-1897-48B6-AB85-53EF25E6B078.jpeg

4BE39C98-1039-459B-9051-2B152548177A.jpeg

DF211AF3-1C7A-4081-A680-F1C67736703E.jpeg

07309A37-0CB8-4853-959A-FB3653C9A0AF.jpeg

336611A8-E030-4DBD-9E74-C33532BFB423.jpeg

87DB5938-9CFD-4C6B-A70A-17F206CBA0DD.jpeg

E8000C84-6EAD-41B6-B1A0-91D203052496.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks for the beautiful pictures!  (I see that Mickey got to come along!). How’s the weather?  We’ve been checking temps and forecasts regularly before we start packing.  Reported temps have been higher than we anticipated.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Geosez said:

Thanks for the beautiful pictures!  (I see that Mickey got to come along!). How’s the weather?  We’ve been checking temps and forecasts regularly before we start packing.  Reported temps have been higher than we anticipated.

All Mickey, all the time haha.  Weather has been beautiful, even from a Los Angeles living perspective.  I’m usually freezing at anything below 70.  It’s been in the 40s.  Rain only at night.   Our next three stops will be cold though.  20s.  I’ll let you know.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mibele said:

Not as bad though if we had sailed during the day today. 

I hear you....having been on the March (Sky) sailing that ended early. We also didn't get to Bodo, or Stavanger, or Tillbury....

F9DE11E4-6748-4C9B-9B6F-47ABBC3C9D8D.jpeg

0B961C27-CB5E-407D-BD35-8856270712D7.jpeg

CDCDA17A-172D-4A02-A634-53B8345CCEE6.jpeg

7E5B0B94-1897-48B6-AB85-53EF25E6B078.jpeg

4BE39C98-1039-459B-9051-2B152548177A.jpeg

DF211AF3-1C7A-4081-A680-F1C67736703E.jpeg

07309A37-0CB8-4853-959A-FB3653C9A0AF.jpeg

336611A8-E030-4DBD-9E74-C33532BFB423.jpeg

87DB5938-9CFD-4C6B-A70A-17F206CBA0DD.jpeg

E8000C84-6EAD-41B6-B1A0-91D203052496.jpeg

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jgm said:

We are taking this cruise in Feb.  Are the ship's public areas chilly?  Are sweaters needed?  Any suggestions for packing?

The ships public areas are quite nice temperature wise, but you may want a cardigan or similar to take any chill off at times.   I know I totally over packed.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mibele said:

Day 6 - Tromso - Jan 15.  We are doing the Lifestyle of the Sami optional excursion.  Our included excursion is the next day.  

Daily Viking Jan 15.pdf 2.89 MB · 1 download

We are a year away from doing this cruise in reverse but this gives us a great preview of what to expect. Since sunset is so early, what do the night skies look like? Easy to see the Milky Way and thousands of stars or too much ambient light from shore and the ship?

Did not see the milky way on our trip. I suspect way too much ambient lighting. Then again, we were approaching full moon. You can determine, from your sailing date, what approximate phase the moon will be in. New moon much better, obviously, for seeing greater numbers of stars. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 1/12/2020 at 1:27 PM, Geosez said:

A final word on the topic.  DH and I were on board the Star last week as it repo'ed from the Med to London. Not really paying attention to what DH was wearing at the moment (and both pairs of Dockers in the laundry), we showed up for dinner in the MDR with one of us in newish black jeans. They quietly took him aside and asked him to change his pants while they continued to seat me, expecting that he would go change and then join me. He explained that he couldn't because all his other pants were in the laundry and we went upstairs to the WC.

The dress code is "no jeans" in the MDR and specialty restaurants and it is being enforced.  Moreover, it seems that jeans doesn't just refer to the indigo color of the fabric but to the cut of the trousers as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1