In Search of the Northern Lights Jan 10, 2020 - Daily Viking

Mibele

13 hours ago, Phoenix cruiser said:

We are a year away from doing this cruise in reverse but this gives us a great preview of what to expect. Since sunset is so early, what do the night skies look like? Easy to see the Milky Way and thousands of stars or too much ambient light from shore and the ship?

The skies last night were pretty clear.  I was only out on our balcony, but I could see many stars.  I’m sure from the top decks, one could see much more.  We were out in the sea, so ambient light was not a problem.  

On our transatlantic cruise on Cunard the captain turned out most of the exterior lights for a bit but the skies were so cloudy it was not worth it. On our South America/Antarctica cruise on Holland America the captain did the same and it was amazing. Many of the folks were thrilled just to be able to see the Southern Cross. Neither of those experiences matched a night in the Outback where it was like seeing the skies from 200 years ago before light pollution covered the globe.

• Like 2

That’s a shame that happened. I’m not liking the clampdown in the dress code. They are not this strict on the river cruises.  But if it was up to me the dress policy for the restaurant would be shorts only no long pants allowed 

Edited by Brad1185

I don't find having to wear pants other than jeans and a shirt with a collar rather than a t-shirt particularly limiting, assuming that by "no jeans" they don't exclude all casual slacks such as "day to evening" pants. I will say on our Holland America cruise to Antarctica and Patagonia, HAL was more forgiving on dress code as they recognized we were already hauling layers of thermal underwear, parkas, gloves, scarves and more and so I never saw anyone turned away from the MDR. On the other hand on our Queen Elizabeth cruise to the Canaries if you were not wearing a coat jacket you couldn't get near the MDR.

OK.  Jeans at dinner in World Cafe are acceptable.  Jeans at any meal in MDR, or dinner at Manfredi’s or Chef’s Table, not acceptable.  Simple as that.  
However, after reading this forum regularly for over three years, I can tell you that some jeans wearers have been stopped by the Maitre ‘D on some ships and some have not on other ships.  If you DO wear jeans to these three restaurants and are not sent to change,  be forewarned:  the Passenger Fashion Police will be alerted (via this forum) and you may have your gelato card lifted for the remainder of the cruise.
Consider yourself warned!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Geosez said:

, after reading this forum regularly for over three years, I can tell you that some jeans wearers have been stopped by the Maitre ‘D on some ships and some have not on other ships.

Agreed. The only reason I commented on this thread about enforcement was because it was the same ship and the same staff in charge. Of course, it is now a very different itinerary and the enforcement level may change.

Now, may I please have my gelato card back.

On 1/14/2020 at 3:15 PM, Mibele said:

Day 6 - Tromso - Jan 15.  We are doing the Lifestyle of the Sami optional excursion.  Our included excursion is the next day.  

Daily Viking Jan 15.pdf 2.89 MB · 20 downloads

Any Aurora sightings yet? How was your Sami excursion? It sounded very interesting.

On 1/11/2020 at 5:52 PM, carollouise said:

Thank you for this!  We are on a different cruise, but it is nice to see an example of the info on the dailies. Took notice to the dress code bit.  I was under the impression that jeans were ok at the buffet.  Not a deal breaker, but looking to know what to pack. 

Seconded! Thank you for all of these! We are setting sail on this cruise in March so it's really helpful!

The Sami excursion was great!  The reindeer sledding was nice - it was around 30 minutes long.  The talk with the Sami was interesting.  We were there for maybe 31/2 / 4 hours total.  Included two breaks in the main lavuu (? Tent) that included coffee or tea and cake during one break and a reindeer stew for the second one.   If you are looking for something more adventurous, this isn’t it.  I enjoyed it  I’ll post some pictures from that excursion also.  

15 hours ago, Phoenix cruiser said:

That is fantastic. Did you have to do anything special to capture them or just point and shoot? Also how was your Sami excursion?

Those pictures taken from the ship were taken with my iPhone using the NightCap app and the Star setting within that app.  It was recommended during one of the lectures on photographing the aurora.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Mibele said:

Continuing  to appreciate all this great information and photos. Downside is I have to wait a whole year to enjoy it in person. For some reason the January 18th daily doesn’t load and the icon shows 0 Mb so maybe there was an upload problem on your end?

Idle question, have you or anyone you run across booked any excursions independent of Viking? For those using Viking have you heard of anyone who couldn’t get their first choice?

keep having an amazing journey!

• Like 1

Pictures from the Northern lights excursion.  I did the ship one that was from 10 pm to 2 am.  It was an hour long bus ride to a place outside the city to a place run by Glod Explorer.  You can look at their pictures on Facebook.  The ones I’m posting here, I took.  Except for the one of me.   

38565560-13F9-463E-B602-CE2D13111FD7.jpeg

4BD96FAD-27FC-4A18-A7B9-A18C322BC54E.jpeg

3CAE206C-DC02-4CDE-B025-F1C4F2F12B5D.jpeg

05759AB8-BF91-4972-A97F-03E3DADC2E87.jpeg

015537E0-2423-4CB3-A59F-84940EC9C08A.jpeg

DD689C48-0CAA-41A4-9698-4E459B89F9F9.jpeg

DEAC1510-53DF-488F-BBA1-BE55381F68C8.jpeg

6915B25C-F021-401C-A850-B326CD580F46.jpeg

F1DB2864-54CB-413C-B8B1-BD5C075D0DB9.jpeg

4EC9239E-8CE5-4E26-89DC-47303899BFDC.jpeg

7EE2C57C-F06C-4154-87A4-AE86757C721A.jpeg

A8691D04-70FA-4BB1-BC2A-7E90250A81DF.jpeg

4C07AB94-9B50-4969-920F-AB9487478D85.jpeg

• Like 5

We had another ship sighting of the lights tonight at midnight.  You can sign up to get a phone call if someone from the bridge spots the lights.  The bad thing is it doesn’t tell you where they are.  Thankfully, it was off our starboard side balcony.  So I could peek at them without going too far 🙂.  Pics tomorrow.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mibele said:

We had another ship sighting of the lights tonight at midnight.  You can sign up to get a phone call if someone from the bridge spots the lights.  The bad thing is it doesn’t tell you where they are.  Thankfully, it was off our starboard side balcony.  So I could peek at them without going too far 🙂.  Pics tomorrow.   

Great that you are getting so many opportunities. On our Antarctica cruise we were always running from our cabin down the hall fore or aft as the naturalist called out whale sightings, penguins, seals, icebergs, etc. Got lots of exercise. Sometimes we were fortunate to have the action right off our balcony, when I got some phenomenal video of penguins racing through the water.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2020 at 2:56 PM, Phoenix cruiser said:

Idle question, have you or anyone you run across booked any excursions independent of Viking? For those using Viking have you heard of anyone who couldn’t get their first choice?

keep having an amazing journey!

There were people who did independent excursions and had a great time.  The only thing I did on my own was take the train from Narvik to Kiruna Sweden and back.  That was nice to see a different landscape.  I didn’t here any grumbling about people not being able to do ship excursions, but maybe there were some who couldn’t get what they wanted.  

We are missing our excursions in Bergen as the seas have been rough coming out of Narvik and we had to slow down a lot.  We were supposed to dock at 1pm but now estimated arrival is 10pm.  Flying home tomorrow and an entirely new group of people get to hunt for the lights!   Attached is Jan 19, 20 and the 21st reimagined daily that we got after the late arrival announcement.  

Jan 19.pdf New Jan 21.pdf Jan20.pdf

• Like 1