Disney Cruise For 10 & 12 year olds

Kudos2Fly

We mainly cruise Carnival, but have been on Royal Caribbean, Holland America and Celebrity. Only VIP with Carnival. We have two grandkids 10 and 12. They have been on Carnival 3 times, but have never been involved with the kids program. Main reason is they like the hang with us. It's not like parents wanting to have some alone time. Even on a family cruise back in April when we had the parents and few more people on the cruise. They just hung with us, even though we did check the kids program out. 

I'm asking as I have herd as kids get old doing a Disney cruise doesn't excite them that much. I check the prices out for the 3 day Bahamas cruise and nearly fell off my chair on the price for a balcony with 4 people in it. Is it really worth the cost? The 12 year old is a bit shy compared to her bother who is 10. Plus for adults who are not into Disney, what options is there for us? I live near Orlando and a Florida native, so have been and done the Disney more then once. But hardly a Disney Fan, but thought off and on about trying Disney cruise at least once. 

Just FYI we just booked a last minute Carnival Liberty balcony for $711. So wondering what does Disney provide for $2700 plus for four people?

Edited by Kudos2Fly

Disney is great for kids who are little enough to believe the characters really are the characters.  My daughter was beyond thrilled to meet them when she was the right age.  But with kids who are 10 and 12, Disney is definitely not worth the cost premium, imo.  We've continued to go on them mostly out of inertia and familiarity -- will be on our fourth this March.  But when I just booked a cruise for December I switched to Royal Caribbean with no qualms whatsoever.  My daughter will be 12 then, and she's much more excited about being able to ice skate onboard and maybe try the zipline if she gains a few pounds by then.  She doesn't care at all about not being on board with random actresses dressed as Elsa and Anna, etc.

• Thanks 1

Kudos2Fly

You may have answered your   own question. You wrote that you are hardly a Disney  fan, and the grandkids are at the age where they,most likely,are not interested in the characters and may even be a bit embarrassed if it was suggested that they get the characters’ autographs or have a meet and greet with any of them. So,why spend for quite an expensive cruise if no one in your family group would really want to be part of the atmosphere on a Disney Cruise ?

For the fare price of a Disney 3 day cruise,most likely to the Bahamas, you apparently got a comfortable balcony cabin on Carnival well within a reasonable price range.

I am nor certain ,but  one thing that Disney does that affects their high fare pricing is that I think some added- on fees that other cruise lines charge are included in the fare.

Disney  cleverly markets to their  customers the magical “Disney “ experience which is Disney’s explanation as to why they charge quite a bit above other cruise lines for cruises with similar accommodations and itineraries.

Enjoy the Carnival cruise !

Your grandkids are fortunate to have grandparents who invite them on cruises. You are also fortunate that you have grandkids who want to spend time with you on their vacation !

I agree with MJSailors.  Sounds like there's no need to even look at Disney if none of you are Disney fans!  I have an 11 year old and a 15 year old who are never bored on DCL.  They are adamant that we go to Disney and not to other cruise lines but every family is different :)  I could start to list out what's included and what's not but at the end of the day, you are paying a premium for the Disney 'magic' and if you aren't Disney fans there's no way to justify the cost.  

Once you start getting to those ages, I think DCL becomes much less exciting for kids unless you're hardcore Disney fans. My daughter is 9 and we're on the Fantasy in April and I'm pretty sure this will be our last cruise with DCL. She's looking over my shoulder and is very interested in the bigger slides and other attractions on Carnival and RCL.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't agree with the prior posters.  My boys are currently 16, 13 and 9.  I would not call them huge Disney fans and we did not visit any characters on our last two cruises unless I wanted a picture 🙂

BUT they still LOVE Disney cruises.  The level of activity in the preteen and teen clubs is far superior to other lines and if the kids join the ice breaker activities they have a great chance of making a good group of friends.  My middle son was 12, almost 13, on our last cruise and older son was 15.  They had so much fun hanging in the edge and vibe that we barely hung out on ship other then at dinner.  On the flip side on our Oasis cruise on RCL 6 months before they pretty much hung with us.  

They also love Castaway Cay and the awesome dinners where you can rotate restaurants but keep the same servers.  Also the staterooms are laid out so well for families.