The Virgin Voyages App

pcalv

Hey there,  I've seen numerous internet articles referring to a VV App which you shake for champagne, for example.  The App doesn't look like it's on any App store at the moment.

I thought I'd start this discussion thread to capture any thoughts people might have about this App when it becomes available.

What features do you think will be in the App, besides shake for champagne?

I think a big draw of the VV experience is going to be the technology package.  I would expect all kinds of functionality from the app.  Checking in for the cruise; dining reservations; show reservations; unlocking the cabin; exact location GPS onboard; checking your onboard account; ordering drinks and having them delivered via the app; booking fitness classes, chat function, etc etc.  Perhaps even controlling the lighting and a/c in your cabin from the app.  Plus of course internet capability.   Hopefully some things that haven't even been thought of!   

Edited by eroller

1 hour ago, eroller said:

I think a big draw of the VV experience is going to be the technology package.  I would expect all kinds of functionality from the app.  Checking in for the cruise; dining reservations; show reservations; unlocking the cabin; exact location GPS onboard; checking your onboard account; ordering drinks and having them delivered via the app; booking fitness classes, chat function, etc etc.  Perhaps even controlling the lighting and a/c in your cabin from the app.  Plus of course internet capability.   Hopefully some things that haven't even been thought of!   

Yes there's a great opportunity with the App to do all those and more because basic wifi is inclusive.  It wouldn't be practical on other cruise lines that don't include wifi as part of the inclusions.  I will message a VV crew member when they're back  online and see if I can get more detail.

Here is what they keep telling me via @virginvoyages twitter messages:"We appreciate the enthusiasm, Gary. Bear with us a little while longer. We have some great things coming soon!" But then, I have heard that since they released a QR code for the app that takes you to facebook. And in case you missed that, I have attached it here. I sure hope the people that handle their website have nothing to do with the tech in the ship..

salor qr.jpg

2 hours ago, pcalv said:

Yes there's a great opportunity with the App to do all those and more because basic wifi is inclusive.  It wouldn't be practical on other cruise lines that don't include wifi as part of the inclusions.  I will message a VV crew member when they're back  online and see if I can get more detail.

Actually all things I mentioned are either already implemented by others cruise lines, or they are working on it.  VV will really need to raise the bar and come up with some interesting concepts to make their app stand out.  

The fact that VV will have included internet really makes no difference with an app functionality.  The app connects with the local wifi network onboard the ship (and many beacons for GPS locations) and this is not something you have to purchase even on ships where internet is not included.  Most cruise lines encourage you to use their app and all of its functions work without purchasing an internet package.  Now if you want to connect to the outside world, then yes you must purchase a package (which you won't have to do on VV).  

Perhaps VV can use the fact that everyone will have included internet (outside the ships' wifi network) to come up with some creative new features I have not thought about.  

Edited by eroller

1 hour ago, garymfreedman said:

Here is what they keep telling me via @virginvoyages twitter messages:"We appreciate the enthusiasm, Gary. Bear with us a little while longer. We have some great things coming soon!" But then, I have heard that since they released a QR code for the app that takes you to facebook. And in case you missed that, I have attached it here. I sure hope the people that handle their website have nothing to do with the tech in the ship..

salor qr.jpg

Hmm Facebook. Watch this space is what they're saying I guess...

1 hour ago, eroller said:

Actually all things I mentioned are either already implemented by others cruise lines, or they are working on it.  VV will really need to raise the bar and come up with some interesting concepts to make their app stand out.  

The fact that VV will have included internet really makes no difference with an app functionality.  The app connects with the local wifi network onboard the ship (and many beacons for GPS locations) and this is not something you have to purchase even on ships where internet is not included.  Most cruise lines encourage you to use their app and all of its functions work without purchasing an internet package.  Now if you want to connect to the outside world, then yes you must purchase a package (which you won't have to do on VV).  

Perhaps VV can use the fact that everyone will have included internet (outside the ships' wifi network) to come up with some creative new features I have not thought about.  

Yes that's what I mean about the internet access opening up more possibilities.  Anyway we'll find out in due course no doubt.

• Like 1