(non cheerleader) opinions or reviews of carnival journeys cruises.

scpirate

I'm considering cancelling my current carnival booking and maybe doing a journeys cruise instead.i have a basic Freeport/ Nassau cruise out of Charleston in 2021. It's booked only because I had used carnival gift cards for my wife's Cuba cruise that got ended.i am not a fan of carnival.i used to be but the last 2 were not good.i jumped to celebrity and that ruined carnival for me .my wife not so much she still has high hopes of having cruises like we experienced 15-20 years ago.any way are journeys cruises any different in the entertainment and food departments than the standard ?.I know there will be different ports but I'm more concerned about the onboard experience.since there will be more sea days.basically I'm looking to make my last carnival Cruise a good one.otherwise I'll make due with a shorter ride to port and 5 days onboard.since it's already paid for.thanks for reading.

there is no special food on a journey cruise, it is the same food as a regular cruise

for entertainment, on one of the sea day will be called throwback sea day and this is day they do the unique journey extra activities during the day. all of sea days will have the regular cruise activities and entertainment

this is a list of the extra activities that is unique to journey cruises: https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3936

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did a 21 day B2B Journeys cruise on the Glory.  The 1st 10 days were MIA to SJU, then the next 11 were SJU south then back to MIA.

I covered a whole slew of ports, several like St Croix,  Antigua and Granada, not the usual stops.  I had an inside cabin for the 1st leg and was mysteriously chosen for an upgraded no charge balcony for the 2nd part.  Those were my main benefits, aside from the length of the cruises, which I loved.

The Journeys activities did not impress me, the food was the same as any other cruise, so those were non factors in my enjoyment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our Journey cruise was great, the biggest difference from a normal cruise was the Grand Gala Buffet, the length of the cruise, the ports and best of all the partial Panama Canal. It was one of the best cruises we have ever been on. We were on the Legend 12/1 to 12/15/2019.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have to agree with above posts, great ports, throwback seaday, Captains cocktail, Gala Elegant dinner, and many more special activities that are not on a regular 7-day cruise.  Yes there are usually more seaways, but we enjoy them as well to break up the 14-day itinerary.  We went on our first Journeys cruise in 11/2018 and rebooked another one and went on 11/2019.  The ports are usually unique and not travelled on with regular itineraries.  We actually enjoyed some casual seaways to just participate in activities that we normally don't on the shorter cruises.  After 2 weeks on a ship you really get to wind down and relax and are ready to go back to the real world. 😄

We're doing our first Journeys cruise to the Panama canal next month and are looking forward to the 14 days.  We've done B2B cruises that totaled 14 days but this one might really spoil us.  While I can't say a Journeys cruise is right for you, I can say the short cruises to Freeport/ Nassau have been my least favorite and would probably be your last Carnival cruise.

3 hours ago, Eliot Ness said:

We're doing our first Journeys cruise to the Panama canal next month and are looking forward to the 14 days.  We've done B2B cruises that totaled 14 days but this one might really spoil us.  While I can't say a Journeys cruise is right for you, I can say the short cruises to Freeport/ Nassau have been my least favorite and would probably be your last Carnival cruise.

Actually I've done them twice.my least favorite was a western caribbean.with Belize and roatan.

7 hours ago, shof515 said:

there is no special food on a journey cruise, it is the same food as a regular cruise

for entertainment, on one of the sea day will be called throwback sea day and this is day they do the unique journey extra activities during the day. all of sea days will have the regular cruise activities and entertainment

this is a list of the extra activities that is unique to journey cruises: https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3936

I read thru that .thanks.

I appreciate all replies and will consider a journeys cruise.im booked military instead of early saver.when Cuba got canceled my refund came back as a gift card so I booked what I deemed the lesser evil to keep from misplacing the gift card.the reviews I read seem good.due to life issues this will more than likely be our last cruise.i want to make a good choice.thanks again.

• Like 1

We're booked on a Journeys cruise in August on Radiance out of NYC. The original itinerary was Bermuda overnight, HMC, and Cuba. Cuba has been replaced with Nassau; we booked after the replacement and we didn't book because it's a Journeys cruise.  It's a 9-day cruise out of our home port at a time we can cruise.

I did one Journey cruise.  To me, it was simply an elongated Carnival cruise. If you don't like the current style of a Carnival cruise, I don't think a Journey cruise would make you like it or dislike it any more.  I like cruising on Carnival, so of course, I liked it.   

We have done Miracle to Hawaii=14 days. Had some "cultural events" i.e. Local: Hula Dancers, Musicians, Lectures, & Folklore performance. Also a Midnight Buffet, Extra Deck Parties, Progressive Trivia, etc. Our Roll Call & FB groups had a lot of activities: Hula Skirt Party, Door decorating contest, cabin crawl, slot pull. Hardly any kids & not a 3 day "booze cruise"

Also did Horizon 14 day TA, Barcelona to NYC. Lots of neat stuff too & a handful of kids. Matt Mitchum was our CD, I would cruise with him again in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, scpirate said:

I'm considering cancelling my current carnival booking and maybe doing a journeys cruise instead.i have a basic Freeport/ Nassau cruise out of Charleston in 2021. It's booked only because I had used carnival gift cards for my wife's Cuba cruise that got ended.i am not a fan of carnival.i used to be but the last 2 were not good.i jumped to celebrity and that ruined carnival for me .my wife not so much she still has high hopes of having cruises like we experienced 15-20 years ago.any way are journeys cruises any different in the entertainment and food departments than the standard ?.I know there will be different ports but I'm more concerned about the onboard experience.since there will be more sea days.basically I'm looking to make my last carnival Cruise a good one.otherwise I'll make due with a shorter ride to port and 5 days onboard.since it's already paid for.thanks for reading.

Just be prepared that more than half of the passengers will be entitled platinum or diamond status.  Not that there's a problem with that but just be aware.

1 minute ago, silversneakers said:

Just be prepared that more than half of the passengers will be entitled platinum or diamond status.  Not that there's a problem with that but just be aware.

The only issue we had was a delay in getting back our free laundry. It was a day late, but we were informed in advance. Personally we have found the D&P's to be informative & helpful & very happy to be able to cruise often.

P.S. I am 1 of them.

3 minutes ago, leen50 said:

The only issue we had was a delay in getting back our free laundry. It was a day late, but we were informed in advance. Personally we have found the D&P's to be informative & helpful & very happy to be able to cruise often.

P.S. I am 1 of them.

Such an inconvenience!! Happy to hear that was your only issue.