On a cruise how many times would you wear the same clothes

Zanny

Hi Was just wondering on a 13 night cruise to dinner at night would women wear the same tops pants etc.

Or do you have different tops etc and only wear once.

Also for day wear on ship.trying to cut down on my packing

We are going on celebrity soltice and no guest laundry. I don't like creased c mother but have no choice  I am not going to pay to get them pressed

Regards Zanny

For dinner I wear long black pants most nights, but with different tops. I take enough formal outfits that I don't have to repeat. Similarly, for day time I have two or three different-coloured pants and enough tops not to repeat. This is on a cruise up to 14 nights. However, many people wear the same things a couple of times, or more and no-one usually notices or cares.

I pack a selection of tops, anywhere from 6-9, and on longer cruises just cycle through them. I always take two pairs of black pants just in case.

Clothes are unlikely to get dirty on the ship on sea days (unless you're a messy eater or something) so you can cycle through those items as well, however depending on the weather at ports you might only wear an item once. Often Celebrity will offer a bag wash deal, wash and fold. I think it was US$50 on our last cruise. It's surprising how much you can fit in one of those laundry bags if you try. 

My wife will bring several tops, for a 13 night cruise, likely 5 or 6. They tend to be tops that can be washed really easily in a basin and can then drip dry without the need for ironing. She may wear a top more than once before washing depending on the temperature and what activity she had done that day/evening. Every top will be worn at least twice

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

My wife will bring several tops, for a 13 night cruise, likely 5 or 6. They tend to be tops that can be washed really easily in a basin and can then drip dry without the need for ironing. She may wear a top more than once before washing depending on the temperature and what activity she had done that day/evening. Every top will be worn at least twice

I agree with the comment about taking clothes that wash easily and don't need ironing. I wash in them in the bathroom handbasin and hang in the shower overnight. Virtually everything will dry overnight, but I don't try to wash heavy items like jeans.

Tops worn in the evening don't need washing after just one wearing. Daytime wear is a bit different, particularly in hot weather.

I also pack very light.  What clothes you need depends on the weather of the cruise.  Hot tropical humid weather, you may wear two lots of clothes per day.  I find mix and match cotton and linen best.  Cold weather, you can wear clothes more often.  Just hang to air.  As others have said no-one notices what you wear.  

Generally for 13 night cruise ... we bring 4 tops each for dinner and the same for day wear jeans and sacks

and two pairs of shoes each....

Going on a cruise is to relax.... not dressing up all the time...like Cunard  or shorts and singlet... like carnival.

Cheers Don   

I'm dreadful and nobody should ever reference me when choosing what to take anywhere at anytime.  It can be 40 degrees and I'm going next door for drinks, I'll take a cardi just in case.  When it comes to travel I can never decide and take heaps of clothes, my own hangers and at least one pair of shoes for every second outfit.  I also take my own pillow, water jug, collapsible bowl, t-towels and just about my entire household, actually.    Having said which, I can see I've been no help to you whatsoever and I'm tempted to delete the post before posting but, what the hell,  I may have a soul mate out there who is yet to make themselves known to me.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

I'm dreadful and nobody should ever reference me when choosing what to take anywhere at anytime.  It can be 40 degrees and I'm going next door for drinks, I'll take a cardi just in case.  When it comes to travel I can never decide and take heaps of clothes, my own hangers and at least one pair of shoes for every second outfit.  I also take my own pillow, water jug, collapsible bowl, t-towels and just about my entire household, actually.    Having said which, I can see I've been no help to you whatsoever and I'm tempted to delete the post before posting but, what the hell,  I may have a soul mate out there who is yet to make themselves known to me.  

And I thought I was bad! I'm a mere novice compared with you. 🤣

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

Crikey.😮

I really feel for you at Celebrity doesn't have any Laundry. Especially you have to have clean fresh under garments...

The BH used to take about 6 different outfits over that period, wear each of them twice... 5 normal & one elegant ones.. Plus a few mix-an match shirts/shorts during the day...

Now she takes only 3. She would wear them up to 4 times. As the best perk with our favourite cruise line is free Laundry at our level... Still takes the same amount of day clothes...

Zanny here thanks for your replies.Half of the the battle is keeping the case of under 23kg when already know weighs 4.4kg empty although it is a big case.i 'l LIKE the ships with self serve laundry mainly for the iron.i tried rolling my clothes once they were all creased when got onboard will  fold them and ho p e for best

Regards Zanny

Hi Zanny.  I have a scrubba wash bag  https://thescrubba.com.au/pages/how-it-works?https://thescrubba.com.au/collections/&gclid=Cj0KCQiA04XxBRD5ARIsAGFygj_0_Yk9DUzEK52JlKqkoc3-JbMW4lw-woqDaTN_v7bBFZ2-L2SB0d4aAgiqEALw_wcB  which I use to soak and wash clothes effectively in the shower, then roll in towels (and stomp on them) to dry them well enough that if you hang them they dry completely overnight.  A less effective but cheaper alternative is a collapsible bucket or even a strong plastic bag.  I bring along some liquid clothes wash in a small bottle.   

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Like 1

Last year we travelled for 5 1/2 weeks (including and 2 week Celebrity cruise) and we only had a self serve laundry for about a week of that time.  I don’t like paying the high prices to get someone to do it for me, so you get good at making do and finding solutions to wash your clothes.

On the ship, we would always wash our clothes in the sink or shower and shampoo makes a fine alternative if you don’t have washing powder.

Like the suggestion above, we would then roll and ring the washing in pool towels to remove most of the water and stop any dripping.  
We’ve discovered that clothes dry much quicker (and usually overnight) if they are near an air conditioning unit.  With that in mind, one of the best tips I’ve read here on CC is to get extra high strength magnet hooks from an online site such as Amazon.  Most cruise ship cabins are made of metal, so the hooks attach to almost any space on the ceiling.  We then hang from the hook a washing hanger similar to the one pictured, or we run a line between two hooks, or sometimes we just hang a clothes hanger from a hook if we’re just trying to dry one item.  

In answer to your original question though, I wear clothes until they’re dirty.  If I can wash them, I’ll wear them again.  I have no qualms about wearing clothing multiple nights.  I don’t ever pack enough clothing for every day unless the vacation is a week or less.  I want room in my luggage for souvenirs.  

51F9B5EF-E759-4916-8C79-40E6798BE11C.jpeg

Like one of the other posters I use a Scrubba Bag too. It is especially great for reducing the amount of underwear and socks I bring since I can easily wash them en masse. I'm not too worried about wearing things repeatedly. I don't change for evening unless my clothes are really dirty. I can easily rotate up to four times so I am a super light packer. 

27 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

blow up hangers help dry clothes much quicker as well.

But make sure you get the ones with the metal hooks, then you can hang them off the air-con vents on some ships. Sometimes that's more convenient than a magnetic hook stuck to the ceiling.