Barcelona - post cruise 1 night

DKNE

After our cruise, we are staying 1 night in Barcelona. Our ship gets into port at 2pm, we will overnight in Spain and then catch our morning flight. So we really do not have much time to do anything.  What 1 or 2 things would you recommend that would be must see in Barcelona? And hotel suggestions near the must things to do. Our time is very limited, so I would like to impact it as much as we can. Thanks.

Barcelona is a beautiful city, very walkable.  We walked down Las Ramblas and visited the Boqueria Market twice (closed Sunday tho). Then we would walk a different route back to the hotel. Some of the roads that run parallel to Las Ramblas in the Bari Gotic neighborhood are primarily pedestrian so it's a great way to see the lovely balconies and old bldgs in a regular neighborhood. The locals don't eat dinner until 9pm and on, so it's nice to walk in the late evenings with lots of people around, incl families. 

Our group of 4 didn't care for Gaudi's works, which are the 'must-see' attractions in Barcelona, but we DID make the effort to walk by the Sagrada Familia.  

We stayed at Hotel Lleo near the Placa Catalunya ..... 2 blocks to the Aerobus stop (5.9E for a 20 minute ride), top of Las Ramblas and close to hundreds of restaurants, bakeries, bars, shops.  A cab to the port was about 20E and to the airport would be about 30E.   We booked the rooms a yr in advance so it was only 125E per night;  great location, b'fast buffet incl,  easy access to Metro, Aerobus airport bus, Las Ramblas.  

With your limited time, I suggest the Market, Las Ramblas, and a walk thru the Bari Gotic to enjoy the lovely architecture.  Have a late dinner at a tapas bar.

And get Rick Steves book ' Med Cruise Ports' .  Great info and ideas for all the ports you'll visit.

Don't know the exact date of your cruise. I am staying for a precruise night at the Eurostars Grand Marina - It is at the end of the Ramblas and right at the port.  I sail out the next day with HAL Nieuw Amsterdam for Med. Tapestry cruise Apr. 28

We did a Steel Donkey bike tour.  It was a great way to see a LOT of the city with minimal effort.  The city is flat and has many pedestrian/bike only streets.  They even have eBikes if you don't want to pedal much at all.

Agree with the previous poster.  I would plan on a couple of hours at Sagrada Familia (will need a timed ticket), then walking around the Gothic Quarter.  Another option is to go to Parc Guell  (after SF) (surprisingly decent restaurant right outside) and go in with a late evening ticket.

I spent 3 days in Barcelona last November before our Spanish Passage TA cruise on the Sky Princess. After reading one favorable review, I contacted Barcelona Day Tours. I found them very easy to work with via email and felt their prices were reasonable. I ended up booking a full day tour for the four of us to Montserrat and cava tasting one day and a half-day tour of Barcelona city highlights the second day. We were very pleased. We had the same driver/tour guide both days and he was excellent. We used this company to get us "skip the line" tickets for Park Guell and La Sagrada Familia.  We also had them secure reservations for dinner and a Flamenco show the second night. BDT is willing to work with you in terms of picking you up at the pier, dropping you off at the airport at the end of a tour, etc. I found this a good an affordable to maximize our time in Barcelona. 

• Like 3

Second Hotel Jazz. It is close to Placa Catalunya and Las Ramblas. Nice hotel and frequently mentioned by cruisers. There is a subway station very close to the hotel that you can take to La Sagrada Familia. Pre-book your timed tickets for La Sagrada Familia. We enjoy walking around the Gothic Quarter and the Cathedral of Barcelona which are close by.

Thank you everyone. We are looking at keeping the cost under $200 per night, Canadian$. The Euro for us is not really good. A number of the recommendations are well over $200, even $300. 

Also received our itinerary disembarkation time and it is 4pm on the Saturday. We fly out on the Sunday at 11:30 am. So that does not give us much time at all to see anything in Barcelona.

You're looking for a hotel too late in the game to get a good price.  I booked the Hotel Lleo almost a yr in advance which is why it was only 125E per night.   You can still get a decent room tho.  Use booking.com or similar site.

I'd still look at the Placa Catalunya area. Do a search for Barcelona Pl Catalunya, within .5 miles,  under $200, guest rating 8+.  Staying in this area will give you quick access to Bari Gotic and Las Ramblas for a nice evening walk about.  Residents don't have dinner until 9pm and later so there will be lots of people about.  

In case anyone considers Hotel Miramar... don't do it.  Worst hotel stay I've had in 20 years.  It appeared that bathroom had not been cleaned in weeks.  Towels were wet like they just hung up the previous guests' towels.  Vanity and toilet looked like they had not been touched once for a wipe down in some time.  Management incredibly rude.  Plenty of other issues too numerous to list.

If you only have the one afternoon/evening, just walk around to the major sites in the Gothic Quarter, or take the Teleferic to Castle Montjuic (starting with inclined railway from Parallel station).  The castle is not much to see in itself, but the views from there are amazing.

On 1/13/2020 at 11:47 AM, DKNE said:

Thank you everyone. 

gailellen12 our night we need is the May 2. We sail on April 25th on the MSC Seaview.  I checked the Grand Marina, for rates and it is $390 Canadian. Much more than we wanted to spend. 

We have stayed several times at the Hotel Curious, just off Las Ramblas; it's a small hotel, but the people who run it are wonderful and provide a great breakfast every morning.  The rooms are small (typical European hotel), but contain all the amenities you need; clean beds, clean bathrooms, etc.

I would suggest taking a Hop On Hop Off bus tour which you can pick up at the Placa Catalunya (about 2 blocks north of the hotel); it gives you a great overview of the city's sites.  You can purchase tickets for the Ho Ho bus at the hotel, as well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂