San Fran Pier 27

AlwayzCruising

We will be driving in to San Fran for a carnival Miracle departure in April... does anyone have a good, safe, secure place they have parked their car at... 

I’m also wondering about driving up to port and dropping luggage and people since my dad is handicap and won’t be able to walk too far, for long periods of time.. I assume this is an easy process to drive in and drop off and out of.. then the others can park and walk in... 

Thanks in advance for any advice. We usually leave from Long Beach and know the ins and outs of that pier, but this one is new to us!!

We have ported at Pier 27 several times in the past few years and I can tell you that there is ample room to drop luggage and people off - it is not a problem. I can't help you with parking as we have never done so, but I'm sure others will chime in shortly, plus there is always information online. 😊

Yes.. I have searched a few and have some in mind, but can’t book them for 2 months out. I was hoping that someone has had recent experience to make sure they were safe and security was good. (We recently had a very bad experience in Houston and now I’m gun shy to book places that I don’t know and/or can’t find a decent review section on.). Thanks for all the help you all have provided. 

Hi - I can't help with the parking but for your dad - when you let him off request a wheel chair right away.  Someone will bring one and push him into the terminal, through security and to a special check in desk.  That person is not a Princess employee. The desk is lower so the person in the wheelchair doesn't have to stand.  They will then wheel you to a waiting area and a Princess employee will take over, wheeling him up the gangway and to wherever on the ship you would like.  My DH can't stand very long and can walk short distances without stopping but the gangway is too much for him.  We alway tip well as my DH is a large guy and it can't be too easy to push him.  Hope you all enjoy your trip

14 hours ago, AlwayzCruising said:

Yes.. I have searched a few and have some in mind, but can’t book them for 2 months out. I was hoping that someone has had recent experience to make sure they were safe and security was good. (We recently had a very bad experience in Houston and now I’m gun shy to book places that I don’t know and/or can’t find a decent review section on.). Thanks for all the help you all have provided. 

As a born & raised local the above parking lot I provided the link to is about as good as it gets.   San Francisco is #1 or #2 in auto break-ins. In California unless the stolen property is $950 or more AND you can prove your car doors were locked at the time of the break-in it's considered a misdemeanor.  In San Francisco it's considered a "quality of life" incident, not a crime, the police will take your report for your insurance claim, but that's it as the District Attorney will not prosecute.  😐

A while back there was a news reporter and her photographer that saw a break-in progress.  Got clear photos of the perp and the get away car; the police was staking out the area and made the arrest a short time later.  The DA dropped the charges as there was no proof the doors where locked and the tourists couldn't come back from China for the preliminary hearing.

The only other ways is to park at one of the nearby Fisherman's Wharf hotels that have Valet underground parking that only the valets have access to, but that could run you $40-$60 a day.  OR park out at one of the airport lots and Uber/taxi in.

The advice the police gives is not to leave ANYTHING visible in the passenger compartment of the car, especially with out of state plates: no phone cords, no bags, no box of tissues, no coffee cups, no glasses case, no bobbleheads,...nuthin but air.   

Otherwise leave your worries to "the guy upstairs" and have a safe trip.😎 

5 hours ago, Philob said:

As a born & raised local the above parking lot I provided the link to is about as good as it gets.   San Francisco is #1 or #2 in auto break-ins. In California unless the stolen property is $950 or more AND you can prove your car doors were locked at the time of the break-in it's considered a misdemeanor.  In San Francisco it's considered a "quality of life" incident, not a crime, the police will take your report for your insurance claim, but that's it as the District Attorney will not prosecute.  😐

A while back there was a news reporter and her photographer that saw a break-in progress.  Got clear photos of the perp and the get away car; the police was staking out the area and made the arrest a short time later.  The DA dropped the charges as there was no proof the doors where locked and the tourists couldn't come back from China for the preliminary hearing.

The only other ways is to park at one of the nearby Fisherman's Wharf hotels that have Valet underground parking that only the valets have access to, but that could run you $40-$60 a day.  OR park out at one of the airport lots and Uber/taxi in.

The advice the police gives is not to leave ANYTHING visible in the passenger compartment of the car, especially with out of state plates: no phone cords, no bags, no box of tissues, no coffee cups, no glasses case, no bobbleheads,...nuthin but air.   

Otherwise leave your worries to "the guy upstairs" and have a safe trip.😎 

Very good!! Thank you. This is exactly the types of things I am looking for. We are from northern Cali so we won’t have out of state license plates. BUT knowing to not leave anything in sight is very good information. 

Do you know if it’s an option then to park at the ferry terminals for multiple days and ferry into the pier? I wonder if that is any safer tho .... 

I have a few months. I will do some more research but will be very cautious if we do decide to park in the lot across from the pier...

Thank you for this information...

on a side note.... you stated to possibly park at the airport and Uber in.... is that safer? I mean, I get it, nothing is totally safe and no one will know when/if anything is going to happen. But, I do want to minimize coming back to a broken in to car!!!

Edited by AlwayzCruising

1 hour ago, AlwayzCruising said:

on a side note.... you stated to possibly park at the airport and Uber in.... is that safer? I mean, I get it, nothing is totally safe and no one will know when/if anything is going to happen. But, I do want to minimize coming back to a broken in to car!!!

The airport lots require shuttle buses to take folks to/from the terminals. The private airport lots are further out in the middle of nowhere.  It'll look out of place to see someone get dropped off and picked up minutes later by car with a bag of loot at the entrance at one of these. 

If you're driving in a day early you might consider staying at one of the airport hotels that has park & fly rates.  Leave your car with the hotel, at least there's "hotel security" such as they are...  

On 1/12/2020 at 12:06 PM, AlwayzCruising said:

We will be driving in to San Fran for a carnival Miracle departure in April... does anyone have a good, safe, secure place they have parked their car at... 

I’m also wondering about driving up to port and dropping luggage and people since my dad is handicap and won’t be able to walk too far, for long periods of time.. I assume this is an easy process to drive in and drop off and out of.. then the others can park and walk in... 

Thanks in advance for any advice. We usually leave from Long Beach and know the ins and outs of that pier, but this one is new to us!!

We've done the drive in and parked for the last two cruises, and we'll do it for the one in April.  We travel with two pre-teens and we all have scuba gear, so my husband usually drops all of us off with our luggage and then goes over to the parking garage to park.  We always park at the garage across the street and have never had any problems.  

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 1:46 PM, atobols said:

We've done the drive in and parked for the last two cruises, and we'll do it for the one in April.  We travel with two pre-teens and we all have scuba gear, so my husband usually drops all of us off with our luggage and then goes over to the parking garage to park.  We always park at the garage across the street and have never had any problems.  

Thanks,

I think we have just decided to go ahead and also park across the street at the garage. It looks to be as safe and secure as it can be... 

• 2 months later...
On 1/13/2020 at 9:58 AM, Philob said:

The DA dropped the charges as there was no proof the doors where locked and the tourists couldn't come back from China for the preliminary hearing.

I'm no fan of the SF DA or actually most DA's in CA right now.  But, in this case you can't blame the DA.  No victim to testify then no prosecutable case.  Doesn't matter if it's on tape or not.   

On 4/15/2020 at 8:59 PM, picture said:

So what is the name of the garage across the street I might use it in a future cruise?

I don't think there is a parking lot directly across the street from Pier 27. I think Waterfront Plaza, closer to Pier 33, is the first available.

Cruise Parking