Rostock Bakery

PandasRUs

We will be on a Baltic Cruise the middle of September and one of our stops is Warnemude Germany. We are still in the research stage as to what we want to do in the area so no specific plans at this point. My maiden name is Ockel. In Rostock there is a bakery named Cafe Ockel. I think it would be fun to at least stop by for a picture (and probably a snack). My niece discovered this place was there but she was not able to go when she was in Germany a couple of years ago. I would love to be able to take some pictures for the family. Does anyone know about this bakery? Is it easy to get to? What else is there to do in the area?

Thank you.

10 hours ago, PandasRUs said:

We will be on a Baltic Cruise the middle of September and one of our stops is Warnemude Germany. We are still in the research stage as to what we want to do in the area so no specific plans at this point. My maiden name is Ockel. In Rostock there is a bakery named Cafe Ockel. I think it would be fun to at least stop by for a picture (and probably a snack). My niece discovered this place was there but she was not able to go when she was in Germany a couple of years ago. I would love to be able to take some pictures for the family. Does anyone know about this bakery? Is it easy to get to? What else is there to do in the area?

Thank you.

Hi, what an intriguing request! 

I did a bit of research and found that Cafe Ockel is a coffee shop outlet for the wholesale bakery 'Mecklenburg Backstuben' which supplies bread and cakes to many of the shops in Rostock.  They are especially known for their celebration cakes, a mouth watering catalogue can be found on their website.

If you put 'Rostock Cafe Ockel into your search engine you should find a nice photo of the cafe.  It is situated on the main road about halfway between the Hauptbahnhof (main station) where the trains arrive from Warnemünde and the city centre where there is plenty to do and see (see my website for more details). This is about a 10min walk but there is really nothing interesting in this area.  It is probably better to simply break the normal tram trip into the city centre.  Take the tram #5 or #6 and get off at the first stop, Leibnitz Platz, cross the street and turn towards the city.  The Cafe Ockel is on the corner of the next block.

It is then about another 10 to 15 min walk into the city centre, the last half of the walk is quite interesting,  or you can continue on  the same number tram.  If you buy a day ticket from Warnemünde it will cover all your train and tram trips.

You have sparked my interest and, as it is not far from my apartment, I will be giving Cafe Ockel a try when the weather improves.

Happy cruising and planning :classic_smile:

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
spelling
  • Like 3