Norwegian fjords cruise

mandrews2u

My husband and I want to visit the Norwegian Fjords this years, we are considering cruise that leaves and returns to South Hampton as I have Family in that area on England

I can visit prior to cruise. Looking for best ship, month to visit and any suggestions of excursions at various ports. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by mandrews2u

How many nights? What kinds of cruiselines? There are over 50 cruises scheduled for this year that depart from Southampton to visit Norway!

I would suggest June through early August, since the summer is short and many tourist operations in the fjord areas are seasonal. Look for newer ships, since they're more likely to meet the new environmental emissions standards that are required for visiting the UNESCO-listed heritage fjords (ports of Geiranger/Hellesylt and Flåm).

Longer cruises tend to sail farther north along the Norwegian coast, beyond the fjords to the Arctic areas. While not considered the Norwegian fjords, there is some great scenery in places like Lofoten (considered by many Norwegians to be the most beautiful place in the country, which is saying something, since so much of the country is beautiful). Sailing farther north in late June can also mean witnessing the Midnight Sun, which dips towards the horizon at midnight but never sets.

• Like 1

I am looking at either the 7 or 8 night on the Celebrity Silhouette. I looked at P.O. Cruise first but decided Celebrity looked better.

Also do you have to call the cruise line directly to get an aft at the very back of ship? Only has one on e on an Alaska cruise, loved it, ago to long as to remember,  

2 hours ago, mandrews2u said:

I am looking at either the 7 or 8 night on the Celebrity Silhouette. I looked at P.O. Cruise first but decided Celebrity looked better.

Also do you have to call the cruise line directly to get an aft at the very back of ship? Only has one on e on an Alaska cruise, loved it, ago to long as to remember,  

Aft cabins are usually the first to sell out.  I would call the cruise line pronto if that's what you want.  We love aft cabins.

I did and I was Only able to find an Aft Cabin on Princess Cruise but NOT on the Celebrity Cruise that I,prefer as it has Flam on the itinerarry and other does not, so we  one Have to make a decision which is more important.

1 hour ago, mandrews2u said:

one Have to make a decision which is more important

I think the itinerary is much more important than the actual ship or cabin.

Do not know the actual itineraries but I would prioritize 1. Geiranger, 2. Flåm (or possible Skjolden) and 3. Bergen

Thank you so much, this is the kind of feedback,  I washoping for. i haven’t been on cruise critic for like 5 yrs till most recently.
I used to use it 100% for help for choosing itinerrarys,  independent excursions, I dom;t know if the format has changed or I just do not navigate it properly anymore

52 minutes ago, mandrews2u said:

Thank you so much, this is the kind of feedback,  I washoping for. i haven’t been on cruise critic for like 5 yrs till most recently.
I used to use it 100% for help for choosing itinerrarys,  independent excursions, I dom;t know if the format has changed or I just do not navigate it properly anymore

Yes, the format has changed. It took a while for many of us to get used to the changes.

On 1/18/2020 at 5:28 PM, hallasm said:

I think the itinerary is much more important than the actual ship or cabin.

Do not know the actual itineraries but I would prioritize 1. Geiranger, 2. Flåm (or possible Skjolden) and 3. Bergen

I went to Skjolden 2 years ago and was bored to death. Most stayed on the ship as there are very limited tours. 

I did not visit Flam but wish I did (the ship visited Flam later in the season).

I would put Gerianger, Flam, Stavanger, Bergen and possibly Honningsvag (for North Cape) if you get a longer tour. I do recommend a longer tour that will get you up North.

• 2 years later...