Two cabin dilemma?

We are looking to take a cruise on Aug 23 on the Oasis. However, we are on a tight budget for a cruise because my family of 4 will not survive in a single cabin. So, we decided to reserve 2 rooms. Problem is, that sailing is sold out of inside connected. Best available was side by side.  My wife wants me to cancel because our kids 12&14. Are too young to stay in their own room.  
I say its fine.  What are your thoughts?  

And yes, we are aware of the booking rules that an adult has to be assigned to each cabin on paper.

We’ve had side by side cabins with the kids since they have been 12 and 10.  Only you know your kids and whether they would be fine 

You do not have to have an adult in each cabin.  Side by side or directly across the hall is fine for booking but you must call to book this way as the website won’t let you do it. 

We have our kids booked across the hall, they are 16, 14 and 10. Last cruise they were 13. 15 and 9. The teens were across the hall and the 9 year old bunked with grandma. Previous to that they had stayed in their own non connecting hotel room a handful of times. I make sure to get a key to their room so I can check on things as needed. 

We book everyone in the cabin they are sleeping in, we just find it less complicated that way. I generally book myself by calling Royal. 

Thank you, to my 3 new BEST FRIENDS for your advice. 
I believe my kids will be fine. It’s my wife who is the over protective one.  But, she is a good mom.  Just a little nutty sometimes. But she is so amazing. And she truly is my better half... 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, pokerguy90 said:

Thank you, to my 3 new BEST FRIENDS for your advice. 
I believe my kids will be fine. It’s my wife who is the over protective one.  But, she is a good mom.  Just a little nutty sometimes. But she is so amazing. And she truly is my better half... 

Theres nothing wrong with her protecting her young. Shows what a good mum she is.

Why is the lack of a connecting door a deal breaker? Do you leave it open all the time? I assume it's closed while people are sleeping? If you don't leave the door open all the time, it's the same as if there was no door. If she's worried about the kids sneaking out, they can sneak out when the door is closed just as easily as they could if there was no door. If you're only worried about access to their room, you'll still have access to their room via the spare key.

Personally I would do it. You know if your kids are mature enough to handle rules like once your in don't go out again. Or phone us if you need something we're right next door. By 12 & 14 you send them off to school every day and trust they won't do something to get in trouble so its the same. It's like sending them up to their bedroom and hoping they know not to go out the window lol. Just remind them the ship is basically a small city. And just as in a city there is good / bad & ugly out there. Plus they have their own space , own bathroom and own tv that way. If you trust them to go to the mall with friends or do sleep overs then I would go for it. If you keep them in a bubble and hold their hand all day then that's another story. 

My two daughters have always had their own cabin since they were 11 and 13.  Once we put them in their own cabin, there is no going back!  I can't imagine all 4 of us in one room again.  They are now 16 and 18 and definitely mature enough but I really had no issues at 11 and 13 and they've now done this 4 times.  We always have cabins side by side and open up the balcony outside when it's available.  Once we also had a connecting room but not a necessity by any means.  

If it makes you feel better, we did a side-by-side for my 13 and 8 year old sons.  It was helpful that everyone had internet, so we could let them know if we were not going to be in our room.  My teenager sleeps in later and we would head to the gym early.  I wanted his brother to know where we were when he woke up.  I wouldn't hesitate to book these rooms again! 

My travel agent was able to book our rooms correctly, without having to go to guest services.  However, I just booked another cruise myself and online it won't let you book the rooms without someone being over 21.  It wasn't a big deal when we had to swap out the rooms in the past at GS.  

We can't ever go back to being in one room again!  The extra bathroom is a huge plus!

I totally get the hesitation.  Our kids are 14 and 10.  We have connecting rooms on our upcoming cruise and then a single room for the remaining ones, but if we were in OPs shoes, I would question it as well.  My older one is quite responsible and mature, so I think I'd probably just now, start being ok with it if we had to and didn't want a single room, but we have not yet gone that route (more because of cost of 2 rooms vs the cost of one room that we can manage in).  

P.S - We don't have internet on the cruise, but of course there is the phone

Edited by LuCruise

My girls had their own cabin (non connecting ) when they were 12.  They were fun.  If you book directly with Royal ( or the right travel agent), they can be in their own cabin as long as you are next door or across the hall.  

We have 3 upcoming cruises booked, all with us in 2 cabins.  I think one is connecting, one is side by side and one is across the hall.  

We have been doing this a looong time.  Our kids were pretty young when we started, wont say how young because that will get me some flack from this board...  However, the way we have done it has progressed as they have gotten older, 17 and 14 currently.  When they were very young, RCL has some ships, i think explorer class, that allowed us to get a balcony and ocean view connecting rooms so no worry about them going on the balcony on their own.  As they have gotten older, a connecting door isnt required per my wife, but we keep them close, either next door or across the hall.  Its wonderful that RCL allows us to book our kids in a separate room now.  It was kinda a pain to do the card swap when we got on the ship given it use to be 1 adult and 2 child in a room.   

You know your kids....if they fight a TON, then maybe not.  If they get along good....then it is no different than being in their own bedroom at home.  They have a curfew for kids under 18, so they can't be out roaming super late at night.  To be honest, they might like the "freedom".  The biggest issue will be their mess with clothes everywhere (at least it is with my two boys).  We have always done separate rooms and had no issues. 

We had a great cabin attendant on Harmony a couple of summers ago (Miss Marie) who was like a second mom.  She always kept tabs on the boys for us and let us know when they came and went (they tended to sleep later than my wife and I did).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, buzzard05 said:

You know your kids....if they fight a TON, then maybe not.  If they get along good....then it is no different than being in their own bedroom at home.  They have a curfew for kids under 18, so they can't be out roaming super late at night.  To be honest, they might like the "freedom".  The biggest issue will be their mess with clothes everywhere (at least it is with my two boys).  We have always done separate rooms and had no issues. 

We had a great cabin attendant on Harmony a couple of summers ago (Miss Marie) who was like a second mom.  She always kept tabs on the boys for us and let us know when they came and went (they tended to sleep later than my wife and I did).

I know the curfew on NCL is 1 am. My kids have been on overnight school trips since they were 12, 4 kids to a room, no adults in the rooms, and there have been no issues.

15 minutes ago, pokerguy90 said:

UPDATE:

you all convinced my wife to book.  And she did agree to back off just a little.

so I thank you all.  We booked side by side mid overlooking CP. 

😀😊🤗😜

If you look on the deck plans and see a pair of connecting cabins those are a pair and all cabins come in pairs.  Keep counting off cabins until you get to your two and see if they are a pair.  The advantage of having a pair is that the doors are side by side in a small alcove as oppose to each cabin sharing the alcove with a stranger.  Makes it even easier going between cabins without really having to venture into the hallway. 

C202A010-756A-490F-B621-87D6D18A7367.png

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 7:09 AM, cruiseguy1016 said:

Why is the lack of a connecting door a deal breaker? Do you leave it open all the time? I assume it's closed while people are sleeping? If you don't leave the door open all the time, it's the same as if there was no door. If she's worried about the kids sneaking out, they can sneak out when the door is closed just as easily as they could if there was no door. If you're only worried about access to their room, you'll still have access to their room via the spare key.

was not a DB for me. The wife has concerns after her hotel room was robbed while she attended a conference a few years back. When it comes to staying in hotels she gets a little and understandably over cautious.  But, yes your post is spot on.  I guess it only takes one bad experience to cloud your judgement.

Just curious if you booked direct or not?  I have no clue what you paid, but through RCCL’s TA website, I’m showing there’s a group rate for 2

Central Park View Balcony cabins.  The 2 cabins are coming in at $5016.16.

There are 2 connecting cabins on decks 10 and 12.

Did you book CP view or balcony?   

Edited by KALCJ1

6 minutes ago, KALCJ1 said:

Just curious if you booked direct or not?  I have no clue what you paid, but through RCCL’s TA website, I’m showing there’s a group rate for 2 connecting Central Park View Balcony cabins on deck 12.  The 2 cabins are coming in at $5016.16.  

6 minutes ago, KALCJ1 said:

Just curious if you booked direct or not?  I have no clue what you paid, but through RCCL’s TA website, I’m showing there’s a group rate for 2 connecting Central Park View Balcony cabins on deck 12.  The 2 cabins are coming in at $5016.16.  

I booked through my my employer.  Im paying less then the rate you posted.  Half the amount was in Rccl gift cards.  However, i think its really cool of you to look that up for me.  It is greatly appreciated.

6 hours ago, pokerguy90 said:

UPDATE:

you all convinced my wife to book.  And she did agree to back off just a little.

so I thank you all.  We booked side by side mid overlooking CP. 

😀😊🤗😜

Have a great cruise.

When I read the original post it made me wonder if the kids are in connecting bedrooms at home?