Sailing On Thursday....Solo of course!

Lois R

Just a note for those of you who ask about cruising solo, I am about to take my

umpteenth solo cruise and can't wait:classic_biggrin:

This has a been a stressful last couple of months for me and it will be so nice

to sail away for a week.  Diagnosed with a positive mammogram--thankfully

they caught it early and I have already had surgery....when I return home from

this trip I will be starting a month of radiation treatments. I am thankful for the

Dr's though and I know this could have been way worse.....it was very, very

small and they got it all.

And for better news......I retired on Dec 31st--so this is also my first

"POST RETIREMENT" cruise:classic_biggrin:

The cruising part...I have been sailing solo since 2003 and LOVE IT!

Doing whatever...whenever.....and this trip? Relaxing....eating, drinking,

napping,---- not necessarily in that order LOL...…….:classic_smile:

• Like 6

Lois, I hope you have a great cruise.  Time for a little relaxation for yourself after all you have been through the past few months.  Hopefully the radiation treatment when you get back will get rid of everything so you can continue to cruise solo for many years.  I will also throw a few prayers your way as well.  Enjoy the retirement.  I  know I look forward to mine sometime later this year.  I haven't decided when yet, put I am pretty sure I will pull the plug sometime this year.  Bon Voyage, and have a great trip.  Neil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travelnap said:

Lois, I hope you have a great cruise.  Time for a little relaxation for yourself after all you have been through the past few months.  Hopefully the radiation treatment when you get back will get rid of everything so you can continue to cruise solo for many years.  I will also throw a few prayers your way as well.  Enjoy the retirement.  I  know I look forward to mine sometime later this year.  I haven't decided when yet, put I am pretty sure I will pull the plug sometime this year.  Bon Voyage, and have a great trip.  Neil

Hi Neil, thanks so much for the good wishes:classic_biggrin: and if you can retire? GO FOR IT!!!:classic_biggrin:

Lois, best of luck to you. I'm a 10 yr survivor and started cruising solo after I finished treatment 5yrs ago.  I gotten lots of tips from you through your posts and hope they continue. 

Have a great time on this trip knowing there will be many more to come.  Debbie 

1 hour ago, Deb and Jack said:

Lois, best of luck to you. I'm a 10 yr survivor and started cruising solo after I finished treatment 5yrs ago.  I gotten lots of tips from you through your posts and hope they continue. 

Have a great time on this trip knowing there will be many more to come.  Debbie 

Hi Deb, thank you so much and so happy you are well too.   I will be in your neighborhood Wednesday! I understand

the weather is warm and humid...sounds like the weather up here!

3 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Deb, thank you so much and so happy you are well too.   I will be in your neighborhood Wednesday! I understand

the weather is warm and humid...sounds like the weather up here!

Unseasonably warm and humid. A/C back on 😞

safe travels 

15 hours ago, Lois R said:

this trip I will be starting a month of radiation treatments. I am thankful for the

Dear Lois R,  it isn't happiness that makes us grateful, but gratefulness that makes us happy.  Congrats on your good news.  Have a swell trip.  Quincy

Lois - Sounds like another solo cruise is the perfect medicine before you embark on the radiation.  I'm actually a 3-time survivor (2002, 2010 & 2018....I kid that if I can make it past 2026 I'm home free <g>).  I did the surgery & radiation in 2002, then a left mastectomy & reconstruction in 2010-11, then right mastectomy & a reconstruction in 2018-19.  In fact, my last diagnosis was received while up in the Retreat on a Eurodam cruise while in St Thomas (so my phone worked).  Another earlier cruise was taken knowing if they'd gotten approval from the insurance for the latest biopsy I'd be going to SW FL after getting off the ship vs going home to N Central FL (got the approval, it was benign that time).  Hopefully your case is a "one and done", like it usually is in your situation (caught early).  

Enjoy the cruise - and look forward to many more!

Sue/WDW1972

14 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

Lois - Sounds like another solo cruise is the perfect medicine before you embark on the radiation.  I'm actually a 3-time survivor (2002, 2010 & 2018....I kid that if I can make it past 2026 I'm home free <g>).  I did the surgery & radiation in 2002, then a left mastectomy & reconstruction in 2010-11, then right mastectomy & a reconstruction in 2018-19.  In fact, my last diagnosis was received while up in the Retreat on a Eurodam cruise while in St Thomas (so my phone worked).  Another earlier cruise was taken knowing if they'd gotten approval from the insurance for the latest biopsy I'd be going to SW FL after getting off the ship vs going home to N Central FL (got the approval, it was benign that time).  Hopefully your case is a "one and done", like it usually is in your situation (caught early).  

Enjoy the cruise - and look forward to many more!

Sue/WDW1972

Hi Sue, oh my goodness---I am wishing you all good things from now on for sure...that is definitely some major

stuff and hoping you stay well.     I think (from what I have been told) this radiation is a preventive measure of

recurrence and yes, I was very, very lucky....when I asked what stage the cancer was----the Dr's told me stage

0.  As small as possible really.   I went today for the "set up" and will start the actual treatment on Jan 28tth.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, QMG said:

Dear Lois R,  it isn't happiness that makes us grateful, but gratefulness that makes us happy.  Congrats on your good news.  Have a swell trip.  Quincy

Thank you Quincy:classic_smile:

On 1/13/2020 at 8:38 AM, Lois R said:

I wish you the very best with your radiation.  I had lung cancer in 2018; caught very early, but had to have the upper lobe of the right lung removed and did four rounds of chemo.  So far, I am still cancer free.  I'll find out in February for sure as I have another PET scan.  I took my last chemo treatment 8/2/18.  Then, the end of November the same year my husband was diagnosed with double lung cancer and it completely covered both lungs and all of his lymph nodes.  He did four chemo treatments and then stopped because he wasn't getting any better and the Keytruda was helping at all either.  I will keep you in my prayers everyday and wish you the very best.  AND, congratulations of your retirement.  That is wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, thanks for all the replies and back from my cruise. 

Lake Murray, wishing you all the best as well...…….I appreciate your kind words.

Hi Roz:classic_smile:

I had a good time for sure....actually I did ALOT of nothing all week!    The one VERY funky thing was the

weather.…I have sailed to the Caribbean many, many  times in January and it is normally smooth as glass.

This time? Not so much...….the waters were VERY rough!!!! VERY unusual and it was rocking and rolling

a lot.  I don't get seasick but did feel quite uncomfortable for at least a couple of days!

Lois,

Congratulations on your retirement. I've got a little over 3 years to go and am finally starting to see the light at the end of that very,very long tunnel. It's a tiny pin light at this point but i'll take it}

I wish you a great trip and a healthy outcome from your treatments when you get back. I"ll be sending positive thoughts your way.

I don't post a great deal on here(no time with the whole working for a living thing:) but I've enjoyed reading all your tips and advice for many years. I look forward to many more...

1 hour ago, runner2013 said:

Lois,

Congratulations on your retirement. I've got a little over 3 years to go and am finally starting to see the light at the end of that very,very long tunnel. It's a tiny pin light at this point but i'll take it}

I wish you a great trip and a healthy outcome from your treatments when you get back. I"ll be sending positive thoughts your way.

I don't post a great deal on here(no time with the whole working for a living thing:) but I've enjoyed reading all your tips and advice for many years. I look forward to many more...

Thank you for the kind words!